Need advise (sci nurse)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advise (sci nurse)

I noticed about 4 days ago that my left leg was noticeably bigger than my right. I've tried elevating it and staying out of my wheelchair for the day but I can't get the swelling to go down. There is no redness or marks of any kind. I don't know if there is soreness, It's just swollen and I'm not sure why. Should I be worried about this more? How long should I wait before seeing my doctor? She's not very experienced with SCI, I mainly see her for prescription refills. Any advise would be appreciated.
    It is not how we fall that defines us..
    It is how we rise.

Go now. I had that years ago and it was a blod clot.

Comment

Definitely! If it's swollen in a manner that's not normal, get it checked out. Is it you thigh?
      Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Originally posted by Softball Dad View Post
        Go now. I had that years ago and it was a blod clot.
        A blood clot can kill.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Pretty much your only choice over Thanksgiving weekend is to go to the closest ER.
          They'll decide if you need a venous doppler ultrasound to check for blood clots in the leg.

Comment

You need to go to the ER and make sure it is not a DVT. It can travel to your lungs and can kill you!. If not a DVT they will check other things.
            CWO
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Well now I'm worried I'll try to get to the ER asap. I may not be able to go until Monday. I've notice the swelling goes down a little but never all the way. Is there any symptoms I should pay attention for or is it pretty much a fast thing if the clot moves? Good grief I can't seem to catch a break..
              It is not how we fall that defines us..
              It is how we rise.

Comment

If it's not normal for you, you shouldn't wait.
                Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

curious not making a suggestion jusk asking if it swollen with a blood clot would it be hot or very warm or swollen retaining fluid curious

Comment

If it is a big clot it will kill you immediately . If a small clot then you would have signs of breathing issues or discomfort with breathing. Also elevating your leg and moving increases risk. Do you take aspirin? You need a blood thinner to keep it from continuing. But you need to go to ER. Call an ambulance. CWO
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

If you had called your doctor, they would have sent you to ER and at ER if they had suspected a clot, DVT, they would have immediately hospitalized you and given you a clot dissolving shot. Believe me, it's happened to me twice. Go now if you haven't left.
                      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

If it is deep you can't necessarily feel changes in temperature. Cellulitis you would see redness, warmth not necessarily DVT.
                        CWO

Comment

Working...
                        X