ice cold knees and thighs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ice cold knees and thighs

In the winter my knees and thighs are like ice to touch when ive been outside, i wear 2 layers of thermal fleece lined leggings but they're still cold, any ideas?

More layers. Use a lap robe or fleece poncho that covers your legs. This is a common problem for everyone with a SCI who lives in cold climates. Don't be tempted to use heated products such as hot water bottles, heading pads, or thermal hand warmers...these can result in bad burns on insensate skin.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

You might consider some of the base layer underwear worn by skiers. There are various manufacturers and weights/weaves/fabrics for a range of temperatures. I sleep in a base layer long sleeved, crewneck shirt and wear base layer bottoms during the day under pants. I am always cold, summer and winter. REI, Helly Hanson, Patagonia, Under Armour, LL Bean, Terramar are a few good names.

All the best,
      GJ

Comment

GJ's suggestion is one that I use with my patients, also. I live in the NE so winters can be cold and windy. Layering helps, also. But you need to be able to move! lol I remember when our son was little and I would put so many layers on him, he looked like the Michelin man. That makes moving a little problematic.

ckf
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          GJ's suggestion is one that I use with my patients, also. I live in the NE so winters can be cold and windy. Layering helps, also. But you need to be able to move! lol I remember when our son was little and I would put so many layers on him, he looked like the Michelin man. That makes moving a little problematic.

ckf
          I remember the feeling, growing up in Iowa! And just when Mom had be all bundled up, I'd have to go to the bathroom. Like clockwork.

The beauty of the base layer is that is light weight and fits pretty snugly, though not uncomfortably so, so wrinkles are minimized.

All the best,
          GJ

Comment

Originally posted by kimg View Post
            In the winter my knees and thighs are like ice to touch when Ive been outside, I wear 2 layers of thermal fleece lined leggings but they're still cold, any ideas?
            Buy good thermal underwear from a reputable outdoor clothing manufacturer, not cheap crap from walmart. Why it is expensive, it works, sometimes too good.

Comment

You need to buy the "better made underwear". I do agree with that. It will last a long time, but more importantly, it works better.
              ckf

Comment

Maybe Silk for the the first layer.

Comment

Working...
                X