hiprex- methenamine dosage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hiprex- methenamine dosage

what is optimal dosage for best results of hiprex ??
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Adult dosage is 1gm tablet twice daily. Too large a dose can cause bladder irritation. Sometimes vitamin C is prescribed to create a Ph level in the urine that will maximize the effectiveness of Hiprex.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

thx 55, have you used it??
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com

Comment

I have used it. They wanted me to take 4 tablets a day. It works for some as I have read. Did not work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
          thx 55, have you used it??
          For about 40 years. lol Seriously. Prior to that I used methenamine mandulate. The active ingredient (methanemine) is the same as in Hiprex.

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
            For about 40 years. lol Seriously. Prior to that I used methenamine mandulate. The active ingredient (methanemine) is the same as in Hiprex.
            I'm guessing it worked well for you. did you stick with the 2 grams(pills) per day.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com

Comment

I've been taking the Hiprex since February of this year and so far it seems to be working well for me. I was on pace to have a uti once every 3 months and since starting it I haven't had any.
              DaDutchman
              C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Comment

whats your dose
                Originally posted by DaDutchman View Post
                I've been taking the Hiprex since February of this year and so far it seems to be working well for me. I was on pace to have a uti once every 3 months and since starting it I haven't had any.
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com

Comment

My Dad has been taking methenamine 1g, three times a day. He takes it with 1g of Vitamin C each time, to help acidify the urine.

Can't say how much it helps. No UTIs, but he is doing multiple things to prevent UTIs. Gentamicin instillations twice a day probably help the most!

Comment

thx hlh. I'm surprised its not used more. I found very recent studies showing positive benefits. my Dr. just said its an old drug.

SCI nurse, care to comment??
                    Last edited by fuentejps; 09-23-2016, 09:47 AM.
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com

Comment

I'm guessing it worked well for you. did you stick with the 2 grams(pills) per day.
                      Here is the story. methenamine mandelate (Mandelamine) was around in 1955. I was started on it back then. However I still had UTIs. I was kept on it because there were not many alternatives at the time. By 1970 the UTIs were taking a toll on my kidneys. A part of the problem was attributed to the fact that I was using a condom cath and my bladder was not emptying adequately. Consequently I had an illeal conduit constructed. After I recovered Hiprex was prescribed to help prevent recurring infections. Hiprex was developed around that time and only had to be taken twice a day as opposed to 4 times daily required of Mandelamine. I have not had a UTI ever since I had the surgery. Either the conduit, Hiprex or both could be responsible for my being UTI free.

It should be noted that methenamine is a urinary antiseptic used for prevention. It is not an antibiotic and not used to treat active infections. Also it is not effective against all bacteria.

Comment

What organism is causing your UTI or predominant? D-Mannose is recommended for E. Coli bacteria. It can be obtained without a prescription. Methanamine- pills or powder (we right a prescription) and Vitamin C typically or there is a new study that shows Concentrated Cranberry pills might actually help prevent. The first day you should take on ein am and one in evening and see if any reaction, Day 2-5 days (a little bit higher) you can take every 4 hours ( 5 to 6 times a day then recommended 4 times a day after that initial and some who really notice a difference and are consistent will sometimes be able to back down to 3 times a day.
                        I recommend getting clean urine (taking antibiotics) then starting after cleared. As mentioned above D-Mannose and Methanemine are used to prevent or early prevention- prevent higher numbers of organisms causing UTI.
                        I have never seen a reaction of D-Mannose but we stopped recommending for a while and are now back and we have new medications that weren't around in the 50's. I can tell you I can never see a reaction of a lot of things on a lot of patients them boom that one person has it.
                        Methenamine - use more for others like Klebsiella P.
                        And now we have "superbugs" resistant to numerous antibiotics so the culture is what tells us the organism(s), how many and the sensitivity i.e. "work up " tells us what antibiotics kill it. The urinalysis just says how many WBCS, nitrite, leukoesterase, blood etc.. + or negative and amount- not specific.

Prescribing 101-So I always start one medicine at a time and "start low and go slow" so if any reaction it doesn't rule out multiple medications. I also tell my patients if they notice any thing different of concern, stop and call me and we will discuss it and I will look further. Everyone's make up and chemistry and different and that .01 % is important . And these OTC meds are not regulated like prescription meds.

As said we used to use a lot in 1950-s to 2000 or so- actually I wasn't alive then so I will go back to we used and tried in 1980s-early 2000 but as some say didn't help but were using for all organisms- we are relooking at these things & I am trying them on my patients with frequent/recurrent UTI's ( with symptoms is UTI, without is, "+ urine culture with xxx amount of xxx organism(s) and with indwelling especially as prevention.

And irrigation- research showed contributed to Infection but.... if you get sediment etc. we are back to trying Renacidin or acetic acid.

Does everyone understand the term "colonization" ? Here is my analogy, I tell my patients and nurses and they get it straight after that- Colonization -the Indians and Pilgrims lived happily together (like the organisms colonized in your bladder that normally aren't there and no symptoms or problems) UNTIL they started fighting (and killing each other- similar to symptoms of UTI, worsening symptoms and sepsis.
                        The trick is to prevent as we mentioned or catch early with fatigue( I just feel not good or worse, increased bladder or other muscle spasms ,feel different in bladder( not emptying, frequency) , maybe really low grade fever - but don't wait till high-, cloudy and/or foul smelling by itself may not need antibiotics- start drinking more water, vitamins , make sure bowel program is good and submit urine specimens and in 3 days results will be back. Could be a virus so if still there will treat. If not, we have report which is good for quite a while and can get you culture specific antibiotics if symptoms progress. And yes if someone develops sepsis and required hospitalization-developed fast- I do take that in to consideration.
                        Urodynamics to make sure emptying, pressure is good, and safe filling and voiding pressures to prevent kidney issues- which was rampant in the 1950's to 1990's.
                        The research is finding out more and more about the biofilm and possible markers we can start testing for.

CWO
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

appears my issue is residuals. I, like sci55, have always reflux voided and condom cath or urinal as I was injured in 87. but this year I've been hammered by uti's. had kidney hydro and high residuals. I void about 6-8 oz on my own. but according to ultrasound always about half full.
                          cathing 2x per day now. am/pm, get 8-20 ozs in evening post void on my own and 16-22 oz in morning, with 1200-1800ml in overnight bag from voiding on my own.
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com

Comment

appears my issue is residuals. I, like sci55, have always reflux voided and condom cath or urinal as I was injured in 87. but this year I've been hammered by uti's. had kidney hydro and high residuals. I void about 6-8 oz on my own. but according to ultrasound always about half full.
                            cathing 2x per day now. am/pm, get 8-20 ozs in evening post void on my own and 16-22 oz in morning, with 1200-1800ml in overnight bag from voiding on my own.
                            Very much like my scenario. It is time to look at alternatives. I dragged things out for 2-3 years beyond the point that it was clear that a change was needed I would have had 2-3 years more of feeling good. Eventually I got into a "cure me or kill me" mode because of how miserable I was feeling most of the time. I was ready to accept any thing. At that time the illeal conduit was thought to be the only solution. There are other alternatives available now.

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                              Very much like my scenario. It is time to look at alternatives. I dragged things out for 2-3 years beyond the point that it was clear that a change was needed I would have had 2-3 years more of feeling good. Eventually I got into a "cure me or kill me" mode because of how miserable I was feeling most of the time. I was ready to accept any thing. At that time the illeal conduit was thought to be the only solution. There are other alternatives available now.
                              why didn't you start cathing? long time ago though, things were very different.
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com

Comment

Working...
                              X