hiprex- methenamine dosage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
    why didn't you start cathing? long time ago though, things were very different.

Catheters were considered to be the major cause of UTIs in the SCI population. The primary goal was to make us catheter free. The early research into intermittent cathing was heresy.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

yah, I was in at the tail end of that in 87. if you could void they recommended condom ect
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

And reflux into kidneys and high pressure bladders with voiding is the #1 cause of kidney failure and death from SCI in the 1970's and 1980's- that is why Urodynamics (the only test that can measure your pressures)is done and if pressures high, then cath is recommended. While UTI's are an issue- safe kidney pressures and working kidneys is the main goal for bladder management- first.
        CWO
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

agreed cwo. odd thing I've noticed since I started cathing is that my output voiding on my own is higher and more force. win win I guess, now if it helps these uti's i'll be thrilled.
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            Methanamine- pills or powder (we right a prescription) and Vitamin C typically or there is a new study that shows Concentrated Cranberry pills might actually help prevent. The first day you should take on ein am and one in evening and see if any reaction, Day 2-5 days (a little bit higher) you can take every 4 hours ( 5 to 6 times a day then recommended 4 times a day after that initial and some who really notice a difference and are consistent will sometimes be able to back down to 3 times a day.

CWO
            so I'm clear you recommend hiprex 1gram tablet up to 4x day??
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
              whats your dose
              I'm pretty sure it's 1 mg twice a day. I'll double-check. If it is different I'll let you know.

Thanks
              DaDutchman
              C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Comment

Adult dosage:

Methamine mandelate Mandelamine 1gm tablet every 6 hours

Methamine hippurate - Hiprex 1gm tablet twice daily

Comment

thx sci, reason I ask is I'm seeing conflicting data. ive read some take 1g 4 x per day of hiprex and side effects don't come into play until 8 doses or more per day.
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com

Comment

I saw that one of the above posts makes reference to the dosage of methenamine being 1gm 4 times a day without stating if it is Hiprex or Mandelamine. My guess is that the reference is to methenamine mandelate.

Comment

sci nurse, can you clarify?? thx
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com

Comment

Yes, this is generally what is recommended, although there is little evidence that these drugs actually do anything to reduce UTI in those with neurogenic bladder:

Adult dosage:

Methamine mandelate Mandelamine 1gm tablet every 6 hours

Methamine hippurate - Hiprex 1gm tablet twice daily
                        For best results, it is recommended that you also test your urine pH (fresh urine only) daily to be sure that any vitamin C you are taking is actually making your urine acid enough.

We don't use these medications any more; haven't for at least 20 years, because there is no good evidence that they are helpful.

(KLD)
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I've been using methenamine hip. 1 gm 2x/day for 10 years since an SCI put me in the catheter world. I opted suprapubic as I developed a stricture in my penis after a couple of months of straight cathing. Any suggestions on what I should use instead of methenamine? Currently I take an ample amount of cranberry extract, plus 500 mg Vitamin C 2x/day. I have a colonized amount of bacteria but UTIs flare up only about once or twice a year.

Methenamine is getting quite expensive...$2 a pill is a lot, and paying cash for it next year for what might not be that effective is making me think there might be better options Any suggestions?

Comment

Fu, I've been taking 1G Hiprex (with 1G Vitamin C) three times a day for 39 years. I get a UTI every now and then. However, I have not had one in 2016. When I catheterize myself I've been careful to swab the tip of my dick (meatus) with Betadine. I think that it has helped reduce the number of UTIs for me.

Comment

Working...
                            X