Ditropan v Ditropan XL: What I do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditropan v Ditropan XL: What I do now?

My local (non-sci) urologist decided to switch me to the ?XL? version.
    Previously I was on 5.0mg per day, but taken as 2.5mg at breakfast and dinner.
    However the XL being extended release, I?m told by my forward-thinking caregiver should require that I only take the full 5mg pill 1X/ day.
    Is this the consensus of CareCure?

"Yeah ah no, my urologist, my first go-to-answer-man is out of town.

I take the generic extended release version at 10mg per day. One pill taken in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Sit-N-Fly View Post
      I take the generic extended release version at 10mg per day. One pill taken in the morning.
      Hi, were you previously taking it 2X per day?

Comment

Yes, extended release of either Ditropan or Detrol is designed to be taken only once daily, with the total daily dose usually the same as you were previously taking in a divided dose, or a little higher dose.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

My son takes the Ditropan XL 5mg once per day and has done great with it. It's a very expensive co-pay for us so I order through Canada Drugs and get like 3 times the pills for same $$$. And yes, it is the exact same pill!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
            Hi, were you previously taking it 2X per day?
            No, was taking 10mg in the morning.

Comment

I switched to XL some years back and it was much better in terms of the dryness side effect.
              Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

I take 5 mg of Oxybutynin four times per day. When I tried XL, leader in the day I unpredictable leaking.

Comment

I take 10 milligrams Ditropan XL once in the morning and one at night. I do not like take anything else butt this because it prevents me from sweating which is a weird side effect
                  Marie
                  Unbroken by the grace of God

Comment

Below are the dosage instructions from the Ditropan XL (Janssen Pharmaceuticals) circular.

At this thread (http:///forum/showthread.php?4402-Ma...of-Ditropan-XL), an SCI nurse and Wise Young weigh in on dosage.

All the best,
                    GJ
                    Attached Files

Comment

I take a 10 mg Ditropan XL once a day. I also had Botox injections inside my bladder back in February hoping to get off the Ditropan altogether. I have a follow-up appointment with my urologist later this month at which I will ask him if I can try to get off the Ditropan altogether. I hate having dry mouth so I'm hoping the Botox on its' own will work.
                      DaDutchman
                      C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

Comment

One thing I've learned, for me anyway, is that all generics are not created equal. I've tried the Teva, Patriot, and Mylan generic brands and am only able to tolerate the Mylan. The other two constipate me or give me horrific cottonmouth. The Ditropan brand also works, but it is spendy compared to the generics. I would be interested in the experience that DaDutchman has with Botox. I see there are some studies out that are starting to link the Ditropan class of drugs with dementia. Great.....

Comment

I went from oxybutynin to 15 mg of xl and have been worry free ever since.
                          www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Working...
                          X