Colostomy flange staying on when wet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colostomy flange staying on when wet.

I need some advice/feedback from this community about colostomy flanges and bags. Do any of these things actually stay on when you get wet? If so, what brand, and configuration? With the brand I have been using (Geneirex) the flanges come loose seemingly if it even sniffs water from 5 ft away. I have a SP catheter which weeps a little on a not too infrequent basis and the sections of the flange near the cath comes loose, and I must re-glue it if not too much has come off. Anytime I shower the thing comes completely off almost immediately, adding a lot of time to what is already a long process.

This is the only brand the local supply house I am presently dealing with carries. Or at least the only brand they say Medicare will pay for. I?m pretty sure they are blowing smoke up my anus about this. I know there are plenty of options of where I can get my ostomy supplies from. What do you people know about which brands Medicare/Medicaid will pay for? I need some feedback from here about which brands will stay attached when I get wet, like in taking a shower. Who out there is having success with this? I want to get some samples and test them out.

I do really like the size of the flanges which I am currently using as they remain hidden under my pants/shorts, since I never wear shirts unless forced into it by society. I live in Neptune Beach FL. am an old surf dog, live near the beach and like my time in the sun. so to me this is an additional consideration. I also train on and race hand cycles on a regular basis, and would enjoy being able to shower on a more frequent basis without loosing such a long time doing it.

BTW i have been a para for 33+ years (T4-5 complete) and have had the colostomy for a little over 2 years. Unfortunately during most of this time I have had my colostomy I have been unable to take full showers due to a number of problems. Some skin, but mostly because I moved a while back and it has taken forever to actually get somebody to help me adapt my bathroom set up, and the strong shower chair, and transfer bench I built. This newer bathroom is way different and the tub points the opposite direction.

So what is the experience of this community on this subject? This is something I am sure a lot of us out there could use some information about, so ?What say you??

I use Hollister flanges and pouches. When introduced to colostomy in 2012, I had concerns about adhesion and used the sticky/gooey putty like stuff provided to make a ring at the inner ID of the flange opening and used the past they also provided. Over time I realized that if I just used the 3M Carillon spray (skin-prep) over the area of the flange contact, there were no problems wearing the flange 4 or even sometimes 5 days.
    Usually I remove it after getting on the shower bench so I can wash the area, but if the "chocolate factory" is open I will leave it on while showering. I'll leave it on as well when it's time to change my suprapubic catheter.
    It's still quite well adhered at the end of the showers when left on, so I'd recommend it for your situation....and I'm on Medicare.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

Hollister works for me and I have a urostomy. and yes Medicare will pay for any brand flange and bag setup.
      T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

Have you considered a one piece system? It's so simple. Remove the bag, clean the area with a baby wipe, wipe the area with skin barrier and apply new bag. Takes a couple minutes to change it. I wear it in the shower with no problems.

Comment

Can you get a consultation from a CWOCN (formerly called an enterostomal therapy nurse or ET)? There are many new ostomy products on the market that may better meet your needs. Many home health agencies have a CWOCN on staff and you would just need a physician's order for this.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
            I use Hollister flanges and pouches. When introduced to colostomy in 2012, I had concerns about adhesion and used the sticky/gooey putty like stuff provided to make a ring at the inner ID of the flange opening and used the past they also provided. Over time I realized that if I just used the 3M Carillon spray (skin-prep) over the area of the flange contact, there were no problems wearing the flange 4 or even sometimes 5 days.
            Usually I remove it after getting on the shower bench so I can wash the area, but if the "chocolate factory" is open I will leave it on while showering. I'll leave it on as well when it's time to change my suprapubic catheter.
            It's still quite well adhered at the end of the showers when left on, so I'd recommend it for your situation....and I'm on Medicare.
            Thanks I will look into getting some Hollister samples. Do you know if the 3M Carillon spray is anything like the Hollister spray cans of Medical Adhesive #7730. That stuff really sticks, but the cans are expensive, it's hard to control the spray (lots of pressure), and the tips clog easily. A quick Amazon look shows the 3M as a hand pump spray bottle. It would probably be much more controllable. Can you get the 3M payed for by Medicare with a script from a doctor?

Comment

I think he means the 3M CAVILON Barrier film (not Carillon). It is a skin barrier that helps the adhesive stick better, and protects the skin. It is not an adhesive. It comes in spray, wipes, and swab sticks.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/3...sell-sheet.pdf

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have no idea about getting a consultation of that type. Never heard of that kind of therapist. I have been really focused on handcycle training for the last year anna half. That's my excuse for being lazy about this anyway. I will see if my Primary Care Doc or his staff knows if there is anybody like that in this area. I also do Mentoring at, and am deeply involved with the local Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital's Adaptive Sports Program, so I have many contacts in that institution, and will try to tap that resource. What does CWOCN stand for? Heck of an acronym there.

Comment

CWOCN = certified wound, ostomy, & continence nurse. This would be an RN working for a home health agency or for the hospital (which may also see outpatients) who has had specialized training and experience, and passed a rigorous exam on management of these issues.

(KLD)

Comment

Carivon is what I typed. Don't you love spell-check?
                    Actually, i've been getting supplies through Shield Healthcare. They recently stopped shipping Cavilon and sent me some POS substitute which sucks! So I accepted some kind of packeted stuff that REALLY adheres the flange.
                    I've used it twice and I think I my skin may be allergic to it. Based on my limited experience with it, I bet it would retain the flange safely over 7 days if needed. If necessary, I'll just pay for the spray-it's <$12/bottle and lasts me 3-4 dos
                    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                    NW NJ

Comment

Did they send you the MedLine product (Kendall Preppies)? Can't stand those. They tried to make us use them too, but we stuck to our guns about the 3M product:

Comment

I have an ileostomy (similar to a colostomy).

I got mine in 2010 (temporary surgery), and finished in 2011 (permanent surgery).

I used Hollister brand products out of the hospital. They worked okay for about a year, and then I became allergic to them. I used Byram Healthcare as my supplier. We occasionally tangled with wrong orders.

I then found a local supplier. I attempted to use Generix for a period of time because the supplier I tried attempted to force me to do so. I was horribly allergic to the Generix products. The supplier wanted to have me use Generix because it was a more profitable product for the supplier. I even tried to convince them that I would accept no substitutions and I was not listened to.

So, I took my business back to Byram Healthcare. I also asked Coloplast (an ostomy supply manufacturer) to send me some samples, as I had heard these were the gentlest on skin. Coloplast was more than happy to send out several samples, and then another sample pack or two. Hollister sent samples, but I continued to be allergic.

I switched to Coloplast supplies provided by Byram Healthcare as my supplier. For me the arrangement works very well. The Coloplast product adheres to my skin well and I do not have to worry about it coming off with water like I did the Hollister.

I use Coloplast one piece drainable bag #14416. If you have a colostomy other product numbers may work better for you.

I have also tried a Coloplast Mio and that thing is even more long-lasting than the #14416. I really like the Coloplast Mio.

Overall I would contact the three "big names" in ostomy supplies: Hollister, Coloplast, and Convatec, and ask for samples. I may also get on www.uoaa.org which is the United Ostomy Association of America - great people there (a few on both Carecure and UOAA).

I would also contact your insurance company and ask to switch to a new supplier and if there are any rules (do you have to stay in-state, etc?). Contact several DME suppliers that stock ostomy products and see what they will charge your insurance and copays (as prices vary).

In my case I also have my mail order options set up to ship me a 90 day supply (since I know what products work for me) - and give me a call a couple of weeks ahead of time. It's pretty much effortless to get my supplies, although it hasn't always been that way (with Byram, or anyone else). I also have it marked on my account that I will accept no substitutions - I need the brand-name, original product that I asked for, not anything else unless it's a courtesy sample.

Good luck! I know it can be really hard.
                        Mystery

Comment

Originally posted by Mystery View Post
                          I have an ileostomy (similar to a colostomy).

I got mine in 2010 (temporary surgery), and finished in 2011 (permanent surgery).

I used Hollister brand products out of the hospital. They worked okay for about a year, and then I became allergic to them. I used Byram Healthcare as my supplier. We occasionally tangled with wrong orders.

I then found a local supplier. I attempted to use Generix for a period of time because the supplier I tried attempted to force me to do so. I was horribly allergic to the Generix products. The supplier wanted to have me use Generix because it was a more profitable product for the supplier. I even tried to convince them that I would accept no substitutions and I was not listened to.

So, I took my business back to Byram Healthcare. I also asked Coloplast (an ostomy supply manufacturer) to send me some samples, as I had heard these were the gentlest on skin. Coloplast was more than happy to send out several samples, and then another sample pack or two. Hollister sent samples, but I continued to be allergic.

I switched to Coloplast supplies provided by Byram Healthcare as my supplier. For me the arrangement works very well. The Coloplast product adheres to my skin well and I do not have to worry about it coming off with water like I did the Hollister.

I use Coloplast one piece drainable bag #14416. If you have a colostomy other product numbers may work better for you.

I have also tried a Coloplast Mio and that thing is even more long-lasting than the #14416. I really like the Coloplast Mio.

Overall I would contact the three "big names" in ostomy supplies: Hollister, Coloplast, and Convatec, and ask for samples. I may also get on www.uoaa.org which is the United Ostomy Association of America - great people there (a few on both Carecure and UOAA).

I would also contact your insurance company and ask to switch to a new supplier and if there are any rules (do you have to stay in-state, etc?). Contact several DME suppliers that stock ostomy products and see what they will charge your insurance and copays (as prices vary).

In my case I also have my mail order options set up to ship me a 90 day supply (since I know what products work for me) - and give me a call a couple of weeks ahead of time. It's pretty much effortless to get my supplies, although it hasn't always been that way (with Byram, or anyone else). I also have it marked on my account that I will accept no substitutions - I need the brand-name, original product that I asked for, not anything else unless it's a courtesy sample.

Good luck! I know it can be really hard.
                          Mystery
                          Thanks, good advice here. I will look over the Coloplast site, get some samples, and do some research on changing suppliers that are savvy on Medicare. Your profit statement about that supplier rings true here. I have been emptying my bags nightly before I go to bed, and changing the flanges as required. I have had no skin issues in the 2+ years since I had the colostomy, so the allergic skin comments from you and other responders here is new to me. Never thought of that. Looks like the adventure continues!

Comment

I've used Hollister 2 pc for years and mine stays on for a week, with daily showers and if I go in the pool. I just dry it with a hair dryer before getting dressed. I used powder and paste and skin prep in the beginning until I realized all I need is a good skin prep wipe (i use smith and nephew) then I push it on real good put the bag on and put my hand on it and bend over for a few minutes because the body heat helps set it. Works like a charm for me. I've also used convetec in the past and they stuck pretty good too. most medical companies will mail you samples to try. I get all my supplies now through the mail at edgepark and they'll send samples.

Comment

I've used Hollister for 2 years and change the wafer every 9 days. I don't use any added adhesive skin prep or sprays (I tried Cavilon and it seemed to make it worse, fall off sooner). I just clean the skin with water, dry it really well (with a blow dryer), and heat the new wafer for 15 seconds before applying. I shower every other day, but I cover the bag/wafer with plastic wrap (tucked into a chest belt I wear, I'm c5/6 quad), so it doesn't get wet. The Florida humidity may make a difference, especially if you sweat (I don't sweat as a quad), but I find that tape sticks a lot better with humidity (don';t know if flange is similar). I bet you will do much better just by switching brands. Good luck!
                              "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X