Weirdest UTI yet, which antibiotic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weirdest UTI yet, which antibiotic?

Hey Monkeygirl, long time no see on here. My suggestion would be to get on one of the meds listed with the S asap, nothing to fool around with, you don't want to end up in the hospital. Bring this list either to the ER or a Urgent care center ASAP and have them get you a Script and stay on it for the recommended time, generally 10 to 14 for us SCI's. Ya, that does sound like a weird one, normally Sulfa drugs work or Nitrofurantoin sounds like thats not the case with this bacteria that grew in your bladder. Especially as we get older it's important to get faster treatment as you could have Sepsis set in and that can be bad.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

How long of a course of each antibiotic has your doctor prescribed. Complex urinary tract infections should be treated for 12-14 days with an antibiotic to which the bacteria is sensitive. About two days later you should have another Urinalysis (UA) and a Culture & Sensitivity (C&S) before another antibiotic is prescribed.

Have you considered taking d mannose as an adjunct to the antibiotics?

A quick internet search shows that three of the antibiotics indicated with an "S" for sensitive meaning that the bacteria is sensitive to the antibiotic are IV/injection medications. Only one is an oral antibiotic.

All the best,
      GJ
      Attached Files
      Last edited by gjnl; 30 Apr 2016, 8:02 PM.

Comment

How long of a course of each antibiotic has your doctor prescribed. Complex urinary tract infections should be treated for 12-14 days with an antibiotic to which the bacteria is sensitive. About two days later you should have another Urinalysis (UA) and a Culture & Sensitivity (C&S) before another antibiotic is prescribed.

Have you considered taking d mannose as an adjunct to the antibiotics?

All the best,
        GJ

Comment

Fosfomycin is an old, old antibiotic, but it can work very well for UTIs.

That's the one, if you want to stay out of the hospital!

Comment

Hey Curt! Yeah it's been a while.....yes Fosfomycin, it is, I'll go dr. tomorrow & get it.

Comment

You are colonized with an ESBL.Are you feverish? Don't take fosfo just for smelly urine,foso can become resistant too.In the US fosfo isn't covered and it's $75 dollars a dose.

Comment

Originally posted by ctoom91 View Post
                You are colonized with an ESBL.Are you feverish? Don't take fosfo just for smelly urine,foso can become resistant too.In the US fosfo isn't covered and it's $75 dollars a dose.
                I'n not ferverish 37.8, not just smelly urine, the worst different smell ever. It looks like milk with chunks in it, hasn't been clear in a mth. the culture said:

ESCHERICHIA COLI OVER 100 M CFU/L.

I took the Monurol yesterday, it cost $20.13 here. Man you guys get ripped off, that's just ridiculous $55 more, should be illegal!

We'll see what happens, sure made me feel like shit though.
                Last edited by monkeygirl; 2 May 2016, 1:01 PM.

Comment

Just out of curiosity,what dosage were you prescribed?

Comment

Originally posted by ctoom91 View Post
                    Just out of curiosity,what dosage were you prescribed?
                    1 3 gram packet. I wish all antibiotics were like this. One shot deal.

Comment

Great hopefully will help out, I remember I took a med once that was a one shot deal, think it was called Roseceffin or something like that, maybe get yourself a bottle of solaray D'mannose with Cranactin from Amazon or something, seems to really help out with the E coli for me. Drink lots of water too. Hope you get feeling better, Uti's suck.
                      "Life is about how you
                      respond to not only the
                      challenges you're dealt but
                      the challenges you seek...If
                      you have no goals, no
                      mountains to climb, your
                      soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

If you have symptoms associated with this Urine C&S, you need IV antibiotics because those are the only ones listed that are sensitive to the bacteria.

A few thoughts....How do you manage your bladder? intermittent self cath? Indwelling foley? suprapubic?
                        Have you ever had a prostate infection?

This will need to be treated by an infusion clinic for the IV antibiotics or you'll need someone to help administer them at home. AND you may want to consult an infectious disease provider. This is E Coli but not regular E Coli. This is a resistant strain of E Coli.

pbr
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                          If you have symptoms associated with this Urine C&S, you need IV antibiotics because those are the only ones listed that are sensitive to the bacteria.

A few thoughts....How do you manage your bladder? intermittent self cath? Indwelling foley? suprapubic?
                          Have you ever had a prostate infection?

This will need to be treated by an infusion clinic for the IV antibiotics or you'll need someone to help administer them at home. AND you may want to consult an infectious disease provider. This is E Coli but not regular E Coli. This is a resistant strain of E Coli.

pbr
                          self cath, no prostate. It says fosfomycin is also sensitive to it. Must have just missed it, it's the very last one.

Comment

Urine colonization explanation please

Can someone refresh my memory on this please & thanks?

Comment

In general you are colonized you have bacteria always in your urine but most of the time it causes no symptoms( fever, leaking, strong Odor, cloudy pussy urine, etc) in general I have been told everyone who caths or who has a permanent cath in place is always colonized. The urologist only treats a symptomatic UTI. As if they treat colonization you become resistant to all antibiotics.
                              T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X