new pressure sore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new pressure sore

i think i know how I made it, but for now doesn't matter too much. I'll stay in bed and pressure off, for the next days.

It is in the sacral area. Pls see the attach for how it looks. What is that white/gray area? It will fall off?
    Do you have any advice for me?
    Attached Files

Hard to tell without being able to feel the area, but it looks like old scar and non-prolifitive tissue (wound edges that look like callus and indicate a chronic wound edge that will never close).

Keep off your back, avoid elevating the head of the bed when you are on your back, turn side to side mostly (or prone), and if you get any pressure here when sitting (depends on your posture) you need to stay in bed. Keep the area clean and slightly moist, and covered with a dressing. You have a lot of old scar issue in the area, so your skin will always be weak and vulnerable in this area.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

The white part is soft on touch. Seems as a moist skin. Lately I had to stay an sleep with cold packs because of the epididymis.

Comment

this is how it looks now.

ty KLD for your valuable feedback!
        Attached Files

Comment

The open area is getting larger. Are you staying completely off your back in bed, and not sitting at all?

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

which is the right approach to clean and disinfect the area? Betadine cream is a good choice?

until now i've used a silver sulfaziadine based cream, but i have to change it.

this is how it looks now
            Attached Files

Comment

No, do not use Betadine. It kills fibroblasts. Rinse gently with normal saline or water and apply a dressing like hydrocolloid or Vaseline gauze.

(KLD)

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                No, do not use Betadine. It kills fibroblasts. Rinse gently with normal saline or water and apply a dressing like hydrocolloid or Vaseline gauze.

(KLD)
                KLD, thank you so much for the valuable advice and feedback.

this is how it looks now. I think that i have to stay some other days on bed too.
                Attached Files

Comment

hi michael: the sacral area is the bane of my existence for the last 35 years so i sympathize. the nurse is so right, do not use betadine or hydrogen peroxide on an open wound. if a doctor sees it and suggests dakin's, then maybe, because it's somewhat less cytotoxic. it's hard to tell from a photo but from looking at my own so many years i would guess it's slightly macerated tissue--also over a lot of old scar tissue that is a lot more fragile. you can't sit on these at all, which i know makes life somewhat impossible.

you can use duoderm or another hydrocolloid, which i did for years, but i have recently found that anasept gel with gauze or medihoney calcium alginate works really well on stage 1 wounds. each person responds differently. duoderm worked fantastically for me for a long time, but recently i have noticed it can cause more problems than it solves in certain areas. for me, it makes the area more moist but dries it out in the long run and over all the scar tissue i have, that's not great.

i was a long time fan of silvasorb (since 2004) but anasept is really affordable. i get mine from healthykin.com. best price i've found.

[edit]
                  you said you use silver sulfaziadine based cream. do you mean like silvadene? that always made things kind of gooky for me (nice medical term). i used it once or twice but mostly silvasorb.

Comment

I really don't know if silver sulfaziadine is a good choice. In my case it wasn't . Wikipedia thinks the same [link], but I've checked only after two days of use.

Tentative evidence has found that silver sulfadiazine may increase healing times – wounds may take longer to heal if treated with this drug, so it is not recommended by the authors of a Cochrane review
                    @absinthia darkbloom: ty so much for your advices and feedback. I have 4 days of staying in bed and I hope it gets closed sooner.

I'll need some advice about how to protect ant treat that area and what treatments to use after the wound is closed. My skin is really dry.

Comment

Hello Michael,

I have chronic sores on sides of my butt right on the "sitting bones" area. To help speed healing, I use 100% Emu oil, gauze and breathable fabric medical tape (like Hypafix). It really works for me. You should be able to find it at any pharmacy (I'm sure some are better than others but I've only used one brand since it's lasted a long time).

My routine: I always clean the area first. I use Puracyn to clean with a piece of gauze and then air dry for a few minutes. Apply a few drops of Emu oil. Cut a piece of gauze and Hypafix (or whatever brand you can find) and cover the area. ONE KEY thing I do is fold the fabric tape on itself in one corner so it is easier to remove. I change the dressing at least once a day. Be careful removing the dressing. I remove it in the shower after running warm water on it for a few minutes.

Good Luck!
                      Never Give Up!

Comment

there's only one really good way i know to protect it: don't sit on it. also, since there's so much scar tissue, if you get a slight abrasion, don't use duoderm because it makes it worse. (i know that sounds like a contradiction--your wound isn't big but i mean a TINY opening. once you get one that's open like yours, you don't have a choice except to use duoderm and stay completely off it. just try to stay on your stomach until it heals.) this is an awful area to try to protect because it's so bony. make sure you have rohos on everything. i have one on my shower chair and my wheelchair. i have contractures which pull my pelvis into a weird angle. the odd thing is that duoderm makes it moist while it's on, and when you take it off, the skin gets really dry. i use Bag Balm and heavy duty Eucerin. the stuff that looks like lard in a tub, not the plain lotion.

i looked up sulfaziadine and yes, it is silvadene. i never liked it. a doctor prescribed it decades ago, i used it once or twice and really didn't like the results.

like i said, try Anasept. it's 24.95 for 3 oz. at Healthy Kin.com. i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

this is how it looks now. protecting that area is certainly difficult.

I also need to increase my muscle mass. IDK how can it be done in that area.
                          Attached Files

Comment

There is not a magic way to increase your muscle mass in that area. You need to have your cushion and wheelchair checked out by a PT or OT who does seating. They may be able to give you some options to help reduce the pressure to that area.

Protecting that area is more than difficult. It is next to impossible. Make sure that you air it nightly to decrease the moisture there, do plenty of weight shifting, try not to lay on it in bed and generally baby it. Stay off of it as much as you can until it is healed and then check it frequently. Also, make sure that you eat a diet high in protein and drink plenty of fluids. Getting dehydrated is not good for your skin.

Hope this helps a little.

ckf

Comment

Working...
                            X