Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowel care and magic bullets

Hello,

I am having issues with my bowel program and intermittent use of magic bullet suppositories. For the past 11 years, I have regularly done my bowel program every other day using digital stimulation, with the occasional magic bullet or magnesium citrate if things get backed up every couple months. My program typically takes 20 to 30 min. Last spring, I began having to use suppositories more often, as I was regularly constipated and having little luck with digital stimulation. I would have nothing for a program or two and then one large program which would be again followed by nothing for a couple programs. My diet did not change, nor my activity level. Unfortunately, while the suppositories work very well in regularly removing all of the stool from my bowels, they have been taking longer and longer over the past few years (They are not expired as I regularly replace them when needed). It used to be that they would work within 30 or 45 min., but now it is more like 2-4 hours. I will have some stool within the first hour or so, think I am done, and then have an issue in bed a couple of hours later. Every time.

Obviously, nobody wants to wait four hours to fully relieve themselves, especially when they cannot get in and out of their chair themselves. I tried searching for techniques others have tried when running into a delayed suppository reaction but did not find exactly what I was looking for. Anyone else have this problem and developed a solution? If I use a suppository (which I try to only use when I absolutely have to), I usually use one magic bullet or even half of one, which works just as well. I read on here that some people use two at a time? Does that speed things up?

Thanks
    Frankly, I'm tired of sitting in this damn electric chair.

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Before getting my colostomy (which was a result of a butt wound, not elective) I did my BP twice weekly: Wed eve and Sat morn. This worked out fine for 15 years and left a lot more time for other activities.
    My stool time was 45-60 minutes. Since my accident in 95, I always used a Majic Bullet. Occasionally I would experience an "empty hole syndrome"; initially that worried me, but, but everything would come out in the end-just sometimes a lot later than I thought was normal. I only had two bowel accidents in the 17 years of doing Bps, and the first was before I went to the 3 1/2 day regimen.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

Over the years my BP took longer and longer and were often repeated cuz I didn't go. I think its fairly common after years and years. Mine got to the point of 3 hours BPs and constantly having to repeat 3-4 days in a row. Couldn't go anywhere, do anything for fear of an accident cuz I had to start using laxatives. Was to the pont that I had no life...just stress/anxiety re: my bowels. Pain meds made it even worse. Finally opted for a colostomy...best decision I ever made...easily.
      C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury

Comment

You could switch to enmeez (mini enemas)
        if you are 50 yrs or older get a colonoscopy which is routine for colon cancer screening

pbr
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I would try enmeez, unfortunately they do not sell in NZ, would have to order it in. Am thinking about colostomy given the good feedback on forum

Comment

I live in Argentina and have been using Enemeez for some years now. There's always someone flying back from the US, just ship it to their hotel and they'll bring them home.

Comment

How does the Enemeez work for you, do you find it as effective as MB ? And how long does it take to work ? I understand that it is a viable alternative if you are trying to avoid mucous like you get with MB

Comment

Not only does it avoid the mucous, but since it is in liquid form already, it often speeds up the program. Just remember , every change takes time for your body to adjust to. ckf
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks for that, can you tell me if suppositories can take longer to work over time, I was using Dulcolax since last March and it used to take 15 minutes before I got some action, but not appears to be taking longer

Comment

Originally posted by gommer View Post
                    Thanks for that, can you tell me if suppositories can take longer to work over time, I was using Dulcolax since last March and it used to take 15 minutes before I got some action, but not appears to be taking longer
                    Ducolax suppositories are not Magic Bullets. Magic Bullets are a water based suppository and Ducolax are vegetable oil based suppositories. The Magic Bullet water based suppositories melt much faster and work quicker than vegetable oil based suppositories.

All the best,
                    GJ

Comment

Thanks dude, although both have the same active ingredient, as SCI Nurse stated MB just has better bio availability. Rang Alliance Lab's today about Enemeez and of course they do not ship tp the South Pacific region, their sales person said that a very similar product is Microlax which is available in my country, she agreed that MB & Dulcolax active chemical compound can be a bit harsh on sensitive bowel lining

Comment

Originally posted by gommer View Post
                        Thanks dude, although both have the same active ingredient, as SCI Nurse stated MB just has better bio availability. Rang Alliance Lab's today about Enemeez and of course they do not ship tp the South Pacific region, their sales person said that a very similar product is Microlax which is available in my country, she agreed that MB & Dulcolax active chemical compound can be a bit harsh on sensitive bowel lining
                        I have to insist, there are thousands of people flying every day from the US to NZ, you just need one of them bringing Enemeez in their bags once every six months. Try to buy in advance just in case you run out of people to bring them: I now have two years worth of Enemeez (ready for apocalypse )

Comment

Unfortunately I did not know anyone who is currently in the US who I could ask

Comment

What is the best number of recommended times to do a bowel program a week? I have always been mine three times a week such as Monday Wednesday and Saturday. When I started using magic bullet suppositories my program took 30 minutes now it consistently takes about 2 hours. I too also used to get constipated quite a bit until my doctor recommended taking Metamucil. I have been taking Metamucil 4 years and now never have issues with constipation.
                            Marie
                            Unbroken by the grace of God

Comment

It is generally recommended to do bowel care at least 3X weekly.

(KLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X