OTC Magnesium 400 mg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTC Magnesium 400 mg

I had kidney stone surgery on Tuesday and my abdominal spasms are ridiculously severe and frequent. I called the doctor today, and they suggested trying to take Magnesium 400 mg with the spasm relief medication they ordered me (dissolves under the tongue and starts with a L). I was reading about the Magnesium online, and it mentioned that it could be used for constipation. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with taking this. I would like to know how much people take for constipation, because I really don't need that side effect at this time. I appreciate anyone's feedback.

I have never used to it treat constipation in any of the patients I have worked with over 40 years. Not to say that it can't be used for that.
    CKF
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      I have never used to it treat constipation in any of the patients I have worked with over 40 years. Not to say that it can't be used for that.
      CKF
      Have you used it to help with abnormal spasm issues?

Comment

Not the first line of treatment. I have had a few patients try it independently and antecdotally have mixed results.
        CKF
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have used it for constipation. I take about 1500 mg of magnesium a night (as directed by my doctor). No issues the next day. However, you need to find the right dosage for you. Too little and it will not work...too much and, well, you will be friends with the toilet for a while.
          "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

I take 400mg Magnesium daily. Keeps me regular.

Comment

Working...
            X