Fever as a quadrepelgic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fever as a quadrepelgic

I went to the er today because of abnormal amount of pain temp was36 but I was. Freezing in the hospital. Got home pain was better after catheter was changed I was freezing so used 3 blankets my mother noticed I was hot checked temp and it was 39.5 now I can't sweat took 1 Tylenol extra strengh are there any other remedies to lower my temp. I won't go back to the hospital. Obviously have taken off a few blankets and lowered room temp.

Infection? Woke with fever myself and now feeling pretty sick. Unfortunately, the temps take a while to normalize - especially when sick. Try a good old fashioned ice pack in a wet wash cloth for the forehead and a minute or two at a time beneath the underarms (that's what I do) ... but careful you don't swing back the other way too cold.

This, along with bowel and bladder, I find to be one of the worst aspects of paralysis.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Take tylenol and motrin alternate them i take 2 extra strength tylenol then in 4 hours if still temp take 2 motrin till the fever breaks.
      T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

It's 40 when I went to the hospital my white blood cell count was 6.4

Comment

You can actually take Tylenol (or generic) and Motrin (or generic) at the same time as they are chemically different. You do need to make sure you do not exceed daily max for either. I learned this when my older son was little and ran high fevers with ear infections.

I do not know if a white count of 6.4 is an indicator of infection. Maybe the SCI nurse can give some insight. I also cannot relate to the metric temps (sorry-we still use the ancient system). You can also try a cool (not cold) shower of bath to reduce your body temp. Just be sure it is only cool as cold may cause you to go into shock from the sudden change. Fever unto itself is not dangerous if it does not get too high and the source of infection is being addressed. Fever is your body's way of fighting the germs. Again, you cannot let it get too high but a mild fever is actually good for you to fight the infection.--eak
          Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
          mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
          Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

Alternating the tylenol with motrin is one of the best ways I have found to bring down a fever. DO NOT exceed the maximum dose per day of either. Also make sure that you drink plenty of fluids - not too cold. Try not to pile on the blankets, it doesn't help and may increase your discomfort. You didn't say if you were started on an antibiotic. if so, it takes 48 hours or so for it to kick in.
            CKF
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Well unfortunately even though I was taking the Tylenol extra strength my temperature went up to 40.2 c I was up all night so I went to the hospital. They are going to keep me here a few days, just had a ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder. White blood cell count still not that high. But the fever just keeps coming back. I had a really hard six months in acute care after injury, spent way too much time there because everything that could go wrong did. I haven't spent more than eight hours in a hospital since, not going to lie with me told me I was pretty fucking terrified pussy I know. I have a lot of antibiotic resistance so they're giving me K flex through IV this antibiotic resistance is becoming a concern. Hospital staffdoesn't seem to take it Seriously

Comment

, I haven't been able to eat much and I didn't take my multivitamin or my vitamin D! I am supposed to avoid dairy, Getting all these medications on a empty stomach without taking my vitamins has the concerned about my bone health

Comment

X fever just goes down temporarily with Tylenol, As soon as it wears off it goes back to 40c haven't slept in two days

Comment

My fever is gone but I have a lung cough ... wonder if something is going around? I hope you get some sleep soon!
                    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Comment

Bummer glad you went in to get checked out both of you guys feel better! Lynnifer i would go and get that cough checked out especially if you had fever. Could be pneumonia.
                      T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

The fever could be viral - they are just as nasty as bacterial infections, sometimes nastier. The best things to do for that are exactly what you are doing. If your symptoms continue more than a few days and you are not starting to feel better, I would go back and get checked out again. Viral infections can turn into bacterial ones.
                        CKF
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Pretty sure the fever is breaking, don't think I get to leave the hospital today though . The ultrasound came back with inflammation in my right kidney. Getting antibiotics every six hours, and the pain has gotten better

Comment

Someone in my building had the same as me so something is going around down here. Glad your fever broke! Major fatigue now.

Comment

There seems to be a couple of bugs going around- one, respiratory the other GI. They start as viruses, so there isn't much you can do other than treat the symptoms. It's when they turn bacterial that you need the antibiotics. Glad to hear you are both getting better.
                              ckf

Comment

Working...
                              X