No announcement yet.

recal prolapse: burnt!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    recal prolapse: burnt!

    I've been having some muscle spasms in my right leg recently, bad enough to really interfere with my sleep. (I'm t-9 complete, 15 yrs post). My urine is clear, no skin breakdowns visible. But something did happen a month ago that still scares me today.

    So about a month ago I had a slight rectal prolapse following my bowel program. After I get out of the shower it usually goes back just fine, often on its own. But unfortunately, while it was still outside my body I did a dumb thing: turned on the hot water and got distracted. The water ended up burning the skin on my butt, anus, vulva and, most scarily, the rectal prolapse. (Yes I have now turned down the water heater.) Bedrest for 3 weeks took care of the outer burns, everything closed up fine, no infection that I could see.

    Now I'm paranoid that something is going on inside my rectum that I cannot see. The doctor seemed more concerned with the skin he could see. I am afraid that perhaps he does not understand SCI well enough to deal with something like this. The spasms in my leg have been bad enough to keep me waking up for the past 5 nights, so now I'm all mentally fragile and frustrated. Cried for an hour upon "waking" this morning. Baclofen is not helping.

    I know that no one here has the magic ability to look inside my butt (thank god); maybe I just need some support and kind words from people who understand. There are few SCI people in my town, I can go months without seeing another wheelie (especially another female). In that sense, sometimes I feel like a vampire.

    You need a good old GI doc to take a look. In that area we are pretty much the same inside. They are used to issues like internal hemmroids and prolapses. The SCI stuff you may need to explain like infection or pain equals spasms and possibly AD. Start tracking your temperature but get an appointment. If you don't have one ask your PCP for a fast referral. In the meantime, maybe use some numbing roid cream on the area immediately outsid with numbing agent in it like Anusol that you can buy OTC. Good luck.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.


      T-6 complete I burnt my skin down there too years ago but not possible internal just the outside skin. Though I am not a medical professional I like what I read about taking your temp often and telling doctor the results. Our bodies temp goes up when we fight infections and the thing I would worry about in your situation is possible infection and or open wounds up there. Also if you do get an appoint with Internist but its a ways off I would check my self by putting a glove on and seeing if its bloody or whatever. Welcome to CareCure


        Sue's advice is sound. Please be careful with that tissue - it can be very fragile. And pleasse see a Medical Provider as soon as possible.
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.