Daughter C7 quad has rapid pulse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughter C7 quad has rapid pulse

I am not my daughters full time care giver, though I occasionally help her out when she allows me to. For the last two days she's had a very rapid pulse and elevated heart rate - she asked me to feel for it today as she said she was feeling sick and dizzy. She has no other symptoms besides that. She just had a urine analysis last week and they found no evidence of a UTI at the moment so I know it's not that. I checked her over for any kind of infected lesions (decubitus ulcers) and found none.

I'm wondering what it could be? I understand the possibility of AD but I know there has to be a trigger for that like a UTI or infection?

Do you think this warrants her going to the ER to get checked out? Her family doctor is not very thorough and is always taking vacations unfortunately.

Absolutely go to ER now, should have gone yesterday.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

She says she doesn't want to go. She's laying down on the couch right now on her iPad telling me she's not feeling as dizzy if she rests her head flat. She says if she were to sit in an upright position in her wheelchair (she uses a manual) she starts feeling her left eye going blurry and the room spinning.

I can't force her to go (she's 25) but told her to stay over night with us so we can keep an eye on her.
      Last edited by Elaine1965; 21 May 2015, 9:17 PM.

Comment

I am not a doctor or a nurse. But I have had many bouts of atrial fibrilation and can tell you if that is what she has, blood can pool in the left atrial addendum due to improper circulation. That pooling will clot if not taken care of which *will* lead to a stroke. Google it. If her racing heart is due to another cause it still should be looked at and treated. Can you at least call a consulting nurse with all of her symptoms? We have that option in my health care system.
        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine1965 View Post
          ...clip... she starts feeling her left eye going blurry and the room spinning.

...clip...
          If I told the 911 operator that, the Medic response team would be here within 5 minutes and they would carry her out on a stretcher on the city's dime.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
            I am not a doctor or a nurse. But I have had many bouts of atrial fibrilation and can tell you if that is what she has, blood can pool in the left atrial addendum due to improper circulation. That pooling will clot if not taken care of which *will* lead to a stroke. Google it. If her racing heart is due to another cause it still should be looked at and treated. Can you at least call a consulting nurse with all of her symptoms? We have that option in my health care system.
            I can't thank you enough for telling me this. I had no idea - she has only had her SCI for three years and I'm not clear or used to everything going on with her body and neither is she.
            I just told her what I found out and she says she wants to go right away. My husband can take her right now and the hospitals only 10-15 minutes from our house.

I hope she's alright, God I hope she doesn't have that.

Comment

How high is her heart rate? Does she have a fever?

Can you check her blood pressure? When the blood pressure is low, the heart rate becomes high to compensate. You also feel dizzy when you sit up, but better when you, lie down.

Make sure she drinks and drinks in case she is dehydrated. If she has a fever, also drink and take Tylenol. You can also just call her doctor's office for advice. They usually have a doctor or nurse to take calls in case of an emergency.

Comment

I did not get an exact number of her pulse and I have no way of taking her blood pressure but they will do this at the hospital. She should be there already. I told her to call me and to tell me what they say. She does not have a fever (temperature was normal)

I never thought of this.. But she is on her time of the month right now. I am not sure if this has any significance at all to what's going on.

Comment

Elaine,
                  So glad your daughter went to the hospital. It will be good to have a diagnosis, possibly a treatment, and get the problem taken care of.

Huge thanks to NoNoise for noticing that it could be particularly serious (and out of our original things that we think about). I am glad she is getting it taken care of at the hospital.

Please keep us updated.
                  Mystery

Comment

Sorry to hear about your daughter! Just a comment - my husband and I are both paralyzed and keep both a wrist-type blood pressure device, and a pulse oximeter handy and have used them many times over the years. With my lung issues, the small pulse oximeter is really helpful as it measures your oxygen and also your pulse. If my oxygen level gets into the 80's I stop and rest for a while. It's usually in the lower 90's, while my husband (SCI) reads at 98. (I've checked about 7 relatives with no disability and their readings were 98 or 99). The cost of a pulse oximeter is anywhere from about $45 to over $100, mine was about $45 from Amazon.
                    I'm only mentioning this as I feel that lung health is often overlooked with disability. When one is sitting in a wheelchair, sometimes slumped posture, one wonders how the lungs are functioning. In my case it's due to Polio - diaphragm weakness over the years, in spite of years of road racing and exercise.
                    Wondering if your daughter is involved in physical exercise, and glad you got her to the hospital for help!

Comment

She was released earlier in the morning. Her blood pressure was low but there was no cause found except for low b12 -- so what we're looking at is hypotension that she may need medication for. Her heart and lungs were normal and she no infections.

Her b12 was low.. She may very well be borderline anemic but the blood tests haven't diagnosed her as full blown anemic at this time. Years before her SCI when she was 14 She had this problem as well, but it seemed to resolve as she got into her late teens.

Do you think her diet could play a role? She doesn't eat meat, vegetables or take any calcium in. She lives off of coffee, chips, alcohol and occasionally pasta in form of TV dinners. I have mentioned this in my other thread of how poorly she eats.
                      Last edited by Elaine1965; 22 May 2015, 9:09 AM.

Comment

[/QUOTE]

Do you think her diet could play a role? She doesn't eat meat, vegetables or take any calcium in. She lives off of coffee, chips, alcohol and occasionally pasta in form of TV dinners. I have mentioned this in my other thread of how poorly she eats.[/QUOTE]

Dont want to sound rude BUT you answered your own question here.

Comment

She's at higher risk for diabetes and other metabolic disorders like thyroid issues.

Lots of female plegics with the b12/iron issues. Will make it difficult to heal should she get an ulcer.
                          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

It is not uncommon for folks with SCI to have trouble with low blood pressure. I'll let others post on their experiences, but she needs to make sure she stays hydrated, and some folks have to take medications to keep their blood pressure high enough. Some use abdominal binders.

Time for a check-in with her SCI physiatrist to start addressing these issues - does she have one? Blood pressure and her depression should be the focus. Use this ER visit episode as a doorway to get to the doctor and start her talking. Call the doctor ahead of time and let them know your concerns, but in the visit keep quiet and let her and her doctor talk about the plan.

Again... do not focus on things like diet. Yes, her low B12 can be caused by her diet and she may need to take a B12 supplement (pick one up at Walgreens), but low blood pressure and depression are not caused by eating junk food. Honestly, she is eating like many young people are eating, unfortunately. But you need to choose your battles and focus on the most important things. Like health issues that cause an ER visit, and her severe depression.

Does she live alone? Does anyone help her with her meals or eat with her? Perhaps you can go with her to Trader Joe's every two weeks, and start exploring the microwavable meals and numerous refrigerated options they have. The have a ton of pre-made items that are easy to prepare, and that may offer her better nutrition than what she has at home now. And having a routine with her may be nice.

But please.... try to hold back on the nagging. Focus on the most important thing, and let the other things go for now.

Comment

I recall reading a research report that indicated SCIs are at increased risk for atrial fibrillation. I was diagnosed about three years ago.
                              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X