Using Peristeen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Peristeen

I am new to this program. Having a few issues and wondering who else is using this. It is much better, faster, than the magic bullet. Only12 days in and wondering what other people are experiencing. Any issues, or problems. I am lower level L5-S1 para, with ability to walk.

I've been using it for about a year now. It's really been a game changer for me. My only real issue is getting it to stay in without holding it. I did have to figure out a good water temp and how fast to pump, but I'd guess that's different for everyone. Hope you get everything worked out. Welcome to the club .

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
      I've been using it for about a year now. It's really been a game changer for me. My only real issue is getting it to stay in without holding it. I did have to figure out a good water temp and how fast to pump, but I'd guess that's different for everyone. Hope you get everything worked out. Welcome to the club .
      I had a custom leg spreader made for me many years that I use when I'm on the throne. Essentially it's a piece of aluminum tubing with "C"-shaped ends. I situate this between the inside of my thighs so that I have total access to reach down, under and up. After I insert the rectal catheter and inflate it (2 full squeezes and then a drop more) I start filling my bowel. I gently hold the distal end of the catheter in place while filling my bowel to keep it from extruding. Until my sphincter completely relaxes, the inflated cuff may sometimes get pushed out. I deflate the cuff then "rinse and repeat." After my bowel is full I let my body take over. After about 5 minutes or so I begin alternating between doing digital stim and massaging/compressing my abdomen to accelerate the process.

I do my BP everyday and the consistency of my results -- not to mention the time saved (I'm usually done in 30 minutes) -- has never been better. I agree with Davey that the Peristeen is a game changer.
      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I am having same issue with catheter being pushed out. I have to hold in place. I did program every day for first 12 days and now trying every other day to see if that will be sufficient. Holding for no accidents. It has cut my time down to about a third of what was needed.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
          I had a custom leg spreader made for me many years that I use when I'm on the throne. Essentially it's a piece of aluminum tubing with "C"-shaped ends. I situate this between the inside of my thighs so that I have total access to reach down, under and up. After I insert the rectal catheter and inflate it (2 full squeezes and then a drop more) I start filling my bowel. I gently hold the distal end of the catheter in place while filling my bowel to keep it from extruding. Until my sphincter completely relaxes, the inflated cuff may sometimes get pushed out. I deflate the cuff then "rinse and repeat." After my bowel is full I let my body take over. After about 5 minutes or so I begin alternating between doing digital stim and massaging/compressing my abdomen to accelerate the process.

I do my BP everyday and the consistency of my results -- not to mention the time saved (I'm usually done in 30 minutes) -- has never been better. I agree with Davey that the Peristeen is a game changer.
          I do my BP every other day. The time it takes is around 45 minutes, down from almost 2 hours a year ago.

Your custom leg spreader sounds interesting. I'm a lean-to-the-side kind of guy. I've been trying to figure out some type of handle that I could use to hold the catheter in place while I sit back to provide some back relief while filling. Haven't figured it out quite yet .

BTW, +1 for your use of "distal"

Comment

Trying to transition to every other day but having some issues. I feel like I am going to have an accident all day. Not sure if its just in my head or what is going on. I feel uncomfortable all day. Just wondering what others have experienced in trying to figure out how often. Also wondering if anyone using has had gallbladder removed. I use to do program every other day until gallbladder removal. Then had to do program every day. Wondering if this will be an issue.

Comment

Medic1, do you have a upper motor neuron (UMN) or lower motor neuron (LMN) bowel? This will make a difference in how often you do bowel care, and also in your ability to retain the balloon when using Peristeen.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have only been told I have a nerugenic bowel. I don't have the ability to hold/stop myself from going. I do get bowel spasms at times. I always had to use a suppository for program. Just digital stim would not cause a movement.

Comment

You would have a LMN bowel normally at your level of injury (conus/cauda equina). This would be determined by doing a bulbocavernosus (BC) reflex test and seeing if you also have tone in your external anal sphincter. With a LMN bowel, you would generally have a flaccid (no tone) anal sphincter, and an absent BC reflex. With an UMN bowel, you would find a tight or spastic anal sphincter and usually a positive BC reflex.

Digital stimulation is appropriate only for those with an UMN bowel.

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks. I was supposed to receive follow up from a nurse but have not heard from anyone.

Comment

I am researching peristeen due to recent difficulties in BP. Do users think one would have to commit to full time use or could it just be used on tough days. (which has been the case for me for last 4 months). I seem to have all but lost any peristalsis action and stool has become slippery surrounded by slick liquid and difficult to manually remove. Question for nurses might be what causes this liquid (used to be mucous like and did not hinder program) also think over 30 years i have worn out my rectum muscles with all the stim and removal. Have only tried suppositories recently and find them to be mostly more problematic than helpful. Would like to hear from "end users" of peristeen and also anything nurses can add. i have read most of the posts here looking for any info i can get before taking yet another step in dealing with aging and SCI.

Comment

Another Newbie on the Peristeen front Only two tries so far.

I do my bowel program every other day.

I'm wondering if folks digital stim first or just place the Peristeen from the get go. I've been digital stiming once, just to remove the passengers in the departure lounge and then placing the peristeen.

Also once you have the balloon inflated how long are folks waiting before they start the water injection?

My first try I went straight to the water and nothing sealed and I was just a fountain, I eventually managed to get maybe 300ml to stay inside.
                        Second try I think I was putting the water in too fast and had sealing issues... I think as someone mentioned have to wait till everything relaxes and seals back up again.

But even so it cleaned me out good and was still faster than my usual procedure.

I'm thinking
                        I have to inflate the balloon slower then wait a while before injecting the water.
                        Then inject the water really slowly (two pumps and wait) till I have around 500ml.

I have to admit everything is a lot easier than I thought it would be.

To those that reuse the catheters, what's the record for the most uses you have got out of one, and how are you cleaning them?

Comment

If you've got "passengers" that are easy to clear out before inserting the rectal catheter, then do so. If not, then I just insert the catheter and inflate the balloon cuff (2 full squeezes and a drop more -- you will be able to tell when the inflation is correct as it will prevent any water from leaking out as you fill your bowel).

I fill my bowel with water as quickly as I can squeeze the pump, and I empty the bag as completely as possible. If you notice any water leaking out as you're filling, then turn the dial back to the balloon position and inflate it a little more, which usually is just a small squeeze. After my bowel is full I remove the catheter (placing it in a trash can I have positioned next to me) and let the water sit for a bit (I'm impatient so this is likely going to be less than a few minutes). Sometimes I will get a bowel movement just from filling my bowel. Regardless, my technique always involves a combination of digital stim and, using my free (ungloved) left hand, firmly massaging/pressing my abdomen to help move things along.

Adding psyillium powder husks to my diet contributes greatly to my bowel program.
                          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Where are you guys getting the system? I'm having trouble finding it!
                            T7 Incomplete from 1989

Comment

anyone?!
                              T7 Incomplete from 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X