legs jumping at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

legs jumping at night

Every night my left leg jumps around and keeps me up no matter how much baclofen I take. I thought I heard at one time where a person could try to figure out what nerve or what is causing it to go crazy and something like burn that nerve....anyone heard anything about his type of solution?
    thanks

Could be restless leg syndrome or too much pressure on a portion of the limb. When I had an unknown issue on the side of my foot my leg would periodically jump for seemingly no reason about 5-10 times an hour making it hard to get any sleep. We found the pressure issue, solved it, and the moving stopped.
    C5-6 - 22 years

Comment

I'm always laying on my side, either with a pillow or no pillow between my legs and it don't matter if I'm laying on my left side or right side. I've moved the pillow around got different ones, stretched my legs out (worse) bent them up all the same results still jump away.

Comment

My left leg jumps at night usually for about 15 minutes and then it just seems to fade away I just thought it was just muscle spasms.

Comment

Mine drive me nuts. I call it the "creepy crawlees"; like bugs crawling around under my skin and it feels like my toes are always wiggling. Sometimes my leg will move like clockwork: every 8 secs or 13 or whatever. I've learned not to count because anticipating and focusing on it only makes it worse. I take 2mg lorazapam (Adivan) which helps relax the muscles as well as helpos me skeep. Adivan acts for only about 2-hrs.
          Rick Goldstein
          GO! Mobility Solutions
          facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

it seems like it goes in cylces doing that for no reason that i can tell usualy towards dawn drives mw nuts

Comment

Legs jumping is sometimes associated with your body simply being uncomfortable for a variety of reasons. Another reason could be a magnesium deficiency.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/is-this...899324412.html

Comment

I would try stretching before sleep. It helped me.

Comment

Yes stretching before bed and tell your provider who might consider Tizanidine
                  CWO
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have suffered with this problem for years. When baclofen doesn't work, the problem is caused by a UTI or bladder pressure that has built over the course of the day. If it's a UTI, you know what to do. If it's bladder pressure, check your cushion. If you have been sitting on a hard cushion all day, get a new one. If that doesn't work, get a urodynamic work-up and discuss bladder pressure and bladder management with your urologist.

Comment

I have been injured 34 years so I have had my share of jumping and twitching. Check to make sure you don't have an infection, pressure sore, ingrown toe nail or something else making them happen.

All I can tell you is what I do and it works for me. I'm in a power chair without recline so every morning I either go out on my patio or in my driveway and park my chair up hill so it's easier to lean back. I stretch forward slowly til my nose touches my knees and sit up, then from side to side to loosen up for at least 15-20 minutes, moving my trunk and leaning back over and over till I'm loose. I also use theraband to hook around the toe of my shoes and do arm curls while pulling up my toes and stretching out my calves. I also do a full workout 3 days a week.

Because I'm in the sitting position all day I lay flat on my back at night on an alternating pressure mattress. We have a folded up king sized bed sheet that is tucked in under the mattress on one side and we pull it tight across my knees then tuck it in tight on the other side so when I do jump the sheet holds my legs down. We have used this method for many years and it works for me but I have found if I lay on my side I'm cramped up just like sitting and never get stretched out.

Originally posted by redroc2 View Post
                      Every night my left leg jumps around and keeps me up no matter how much baclofen I take. I thought I heard at one time where a person could try to figure out what nerve or what is causing it to go crazy and something like burn that nerve....anyone heard anything about his type of solution?
                      thanks
                      ^^(A)^^

Comment

As SCI nurse mentioned about Tizanidine I have been taking 4 mg of Tizanidine about 1/2 hour before i go to bed for the last year or so and it has greatly reduced/stopped my nightly leg spasms. I also notice that it helps me fall asleep easier as well

Comment

I'm guessing that the causes of our leg spasms is as diverse as our bodies, injuries, and lifestyles.

In my case, my legs got much worse a little over a year ago. I sleep on my left side all night. To keep control of my legs, I have a contour pillow between my thighs and a 1" cloth strap around the pillow and both thighs. Then I have short strap in the shape of a loop under the strap around my legs. At night, I sleep with my left arm through loop. It gives me control of my legs if they decide to go for a run during the night.

This works for me, but your mileage my vary.

Comment

Start with the Tizanidine 2 mg -and if you need 4 then go up. I actually take it myself for muscle stiffness/spasms from a neck injury and I used to sleep soooo good! Now good, but notnot as long so you can build up some resistance over 12-18 months and have to increase the dose. So if I do wake up after 4 hours and my neck/arms are still stiff/spasm (which is what I take it for ) then I take another.
                            Restless leg syndrome is common in SCI (classified as a movement disorder) but it is different that spasticity. We consult Neurology if we determine and have treated spasticity. They prescribe medication that helps. O
                            r sometimes it is a combination of both.
                            Dantrium,Ativan, Valium and Clonidine (patch) can also be used but clonidine really drops your blood pressure so we don't use it much!
                            CWO
                            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                            X