tonic water spasms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tonic water spasms

Anyone ever heard anything about drinking tonic water before you go to bed to help reduce leg spasms?

Yes, I tried it a few years back. Tonic water did not seem to have any effect on me unless I combined it with gin. Then I still had spasticity but didn't care as much.

Comment

If the spasms are from malaria, it might help...
      Don - Grad Student Emeritus
      T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

There is an OTC product called Hyland's Leg Cramps. It has Quinine as the major active ingredient. It didn't work for me either.

Comment

My dad doesn't have SCI but he swears that tonic water relieves his night leg cramps. He has a glass of it every other day.

Comment

Tonic water has quinine in it. Quinine by prescription was taken off the market several years ago I have people drink one 12 oz can per day for leg cramps.

pbr
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by endo_aftermath View Post
              Yes, I tried it a few years back. Tonic water did not seem to have any effect on me unless I combined it with gin. Then I still had spasticity but didn't care as much.
              seriously,I find that alcohol with or without tonic reduces my spasms. However when the alcohol effect runs its course they seem to be worse. I guess they could be called hangover spasms. lol
              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

I thought that I was the only one that experienced hangover spasms. I'm glad that I don't drink anymore.

Comment

I seem to remember a a folk remedy of quinine water for relief of "restless leg syndrome". I'm not sure the two conditions are comparable.

Comment

Here is a website for home remedies for restless leg syndrome
                    http://www.healthline.com/health/res...medies-for-rls
                    tonic water is one of the options

pbr
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

http://crampeze.com.au/ magnesium and vit B? but gin and tonic sound better. I sometimes take PKs to break the cycle.
                      http://zagam.net/

Comment

I cant stomach tonic water. My mom worksin a nursing home, and said they take theirs with lemon juice... I cant get over the bitterness of the tonic... my legs are so jumpy at night anymore.
                        I have more to claim.
                        I have to fight through the hard places
                        to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

Comment

Night cramps that some people have (esp. as they age) are different from the spasticity or spasms seen in people with SCI. I have seen no evidence that quinine is helpful for spasticity in SCI.

(KLD)

Comment

For those where marijuana can be legally obtained, I noticed that the one time I tried a pot brownie in 1985 to try find some pain relief (it didn't help, it actually heightened my perception of the pain that I had), my muscles were almost completely loose. I didn't have bad spasms, but my legs would normally spasm some when I was moved, or sometimes when the sheet moved over them, but that didn't happen after the brownie.
                            Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Yes, marijuana has been shown to be effective in a number of studies related to SCI neuropathic pain and spasticity. If you can get it legally, that can be an advantage, since you won't get a "get out of jail free" card if you are caught in possession in a state where it is not legal just because you are in a chair.

(KLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X