Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exactly how should I go about reversing osteoporosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly how should I go about reversing osteoporosis?

So I finally got my bone density scan back today, no good news two bones in my legs one of my thigh the other in my shin are basically at the fracture threshold almost. Other spots like my hip and my lumbar spine aren't doing well, I'm doing bloodwork to rule out three conditions or diseases that sounds pretty awful. My doctor says it's highly unlikely I have them though, but just to be safe we have to rule them.

So soon I will be starting with a Bisphosphonate but what is the best route of therapy just a standing frame for many hours a day, a gait trainer like the lokomat, or an FES bike?

Any information and help is beyond greatly appreciated. This has been one of my greatest fears related to paralysis inContexts to it's secondary complications, and will greatly affect my plans for the future, directing them to one option. Bad bone density will not get me into you, that's not acceptable. I will do whatever I can to reverse this, time, effort, and money even though that's a bit of an issue. (also unfortunately I need help with applying stem pads, and getting in and out of any equipment) nonetheless I will do my very best, and do my best to find the necessary help I need uhh...

James,

I've pasted a link to a decent review article that may give you some of the information you're seeking. When my husband was in acute rehab, the doctors weren't doing prophylactic osteoporosis treatment with biphosphonates. The pendulum has since swung in the other direction but he'd already missed the potential therapeutic window.

Best wishes for your health and safety.

http://omicsonline.org/spinal-cord-i...mr.1000127.pdf

Comment

You also need to ensure your calcium intake is 1200 a day and you have a normal Vitamin D level and if not take supplements.
      CWO
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Is it common for osteoporosis to occur just 2 years after injury?

Wow, it does happen fast- http://link.springer.com/article/10....198-005-2028-8
        Last edited by Jim; 30 Oct 2014, 3:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
          Is it common for osteoporosis to occur just 2 years after injury?

Wow, it does happen fast- http://link.springer.com/article/10....198-005-2028-8
          I know Jim, it's ridiculous. I was athlete as you know before, and I would exercise everything from my ankles to my grip strength to my traps and neck. So even though I have no sensation I'm very in tune with my body, which can work against me when I have an infection or stones it is extremely painful. But even a year after my injury I already had osteopenia, and I swear I could feel my bones weakening, I compared it to and call it rotting. Just wrong, very unnatural.

Comment

Originally posted by 2drwhofans View Post
            James,

I've pasted a link to a decent review article that may give you some of the information you're seeking. When my husband was in acute rehab, the doctors weren't doing prophylactic osteoporosis treatment with biphosphonates. The pendulum has since swung in the other direction but he'd already missed the potential therapeutic window.

Best wishes for your health and safety.

http://omicsonline.org/spinal-cord-i...mr.1000127.pdf

Thank you so much for the information it was helpful. It seems that a standing frame is not going to cut it, FES will be a expensive solution especially use for five days a week. Things run upwards of 30 grand, and it seems that they are only so effective and they can't fully reverse it. Damn... Did I read correctly that the biphosphonate can cause the bones to Deform when under too much continuous stress?

Comment

I will do my best part, shouldn't be a problem, definitely not taking calcium supplements though I've already had trouble with stones, but vitamin D supplements shouldn't be a problem. Thank you.

Comment

My Doc is trying me on testosterone right now. January will be 1 year on it and I'll have another bone density test then.
                Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Re: "Damn... Did I read correctly that the biphosphonate can cause the bones to Deform when under too much continuous stress?"

The review article mentioned that starting biphosphonates in the first year post injury can increase maximum torque capacity.
                  I'll defer to the CareCure engineers, but my understanding is that means an increase in the maximum turning or twisting forces that can be applied to a bone before if fatigues or fractures. So increasing maximum torque capacity would be a good thing.

Comment

I will figure out the FES problem, but I am just over two years post and already had a lot of decomposing does that mean that Biphosphonate will be of little use for me to reverse the damage? If so should I look into, testosterone maybe? Or something else?

Comment

What are sighns of fractures? I ended up flipping my chair last Coincidentally on my left side (worse hip). I don't think I actually did damage. But I have no sensation and it is sore some how. Would a Fracture show bruising or swelling?
                      Last edited by JamesMcM; 1 Nov 2014, 3:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                        You also need to ensure your calcium intake is 1200 a day and you have a normal Vitamin D level and if not take supplements.
                        CWO
                        How much calcium supplement can you take at once? I have to take meds four times a day (some are three times daily, some twice-daily), so there's only one time span that allows at least two hours between taking calcium and taking meds. I take 600 mg calcium plus vitamin D at that time.
                        Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

It's best to get it from food. If you can, and there's a lot of stuff out there about calcium supplements, not much of it is good stuff.

Comment

My doctor just put me on 1250 mg calcium

Comment

Osteopenia is the very first symptom of the bone cells looking not dense enough , before osteoporosis. Most calcium has some Vitamin D with it and I took that- as all women should. Did he check your Vitamin D level? I had Osteopenia for years in one shoulder (and there is nothing physically wrong with me at all ) and I took Calcium with a small amount of Vitamin D and then when the Vitamin D craze came along my MD tested mine and it was very very low and I got osteopenia in two other places before getting on high doses of Vitamin D so....it should be tested.
                              And forget that out in the sun B.S. If I was out in the sun any more I would have to change my race!
                              And you can see on my x-rays wear it rebuild. Chondrocalcinosis or some term like that. If you google "Vitamin D deficiency" there is all kinds of research being done and there were claims that it caused Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer's, obesity, heart disease is the latest they are researching...etc... I don't know that anything has been confirmed but we do know that bone health is true.
                              Vitamin D is checked in all our SCI patients. And a lot of have low Vitamin D and we treat it.
                              I do recommend a multivitamin for all!
                              CWO
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X