Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

long bowel routine needing a lot of stim. help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSP1136 I will give the Senokot and MiraLAX combo instead of ducolux and senokot A try. Are you taking any other medications? Narcotics? Just so I know to plan for extra because I have to take so many pain medication.
    I wish I could get up out of bed because I know that has a factor gravity and all... It's just too excruciating.

I forgot to mention that if I get results after the first digital stim and then suppository and then after more stim for quite some time if more comes out (sometimes there is a clear fluid that comes out at the end) the rectum seems to get tight according to what the nurse says. Now that clear fluid sometimes signals the end of the routine but then sometimes after the second digital stim and clear fluid and tightness it becomes looser again and even more results come out then finally some more clear fluid and maybe tight and that's usually the final end.

any thoughts?

Comment

It's quite a relief to know that I am not the only one who dreads bowl days now. You never used to be like this, I would take a couple of suppository and everything would work just fine. Nowadays, the whole process can take an hour, sometimes more. In a lot of cases I'm finding that the results is far from satisfactory. I tend to go a few days with not particularly great results, then I will have a very good result. Sometimes the stool is of a good consistency, other times it's almost verging on diarrhoea. Thankfully I've never had a serious accident, but it's just the amount of time it takes in the morning. This morning I had done everything by myself, can't tell you how long because I was asleep. I used a couple of Dulcalux nowadays, nothing else seems to work. Mind you, I probably have more mornings where nothing has happened to begin with and then when things work by themselves. My diet is good, i.e. vegetables, I've also been eating apricots everyday And plenty of water. I just wish I could go back to how I was where my bowl routine didn't take very long and didn't need a lot of probing either.
      Tetraplegic & Spinal Injury Site

Comment

It might be time to take a good hard look at your bowel program. I would encourage you to keep a bowel diary and see if there is any pattern. Keep track of your Meds, food and drinks, as well as what you do for your program and when. You just might be able to troubleshoot the problem. If you decide to make some changes, the make one change at a time. Leave it in place for 4-7 days before making another change.
        ckf
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

You are unable to purchase liquid Magnesium Citrate in Australia and I am looking to see if I can switch to Mag C 200mg capsules instead of multiple senna tablets. How much Mag C would people recommend? Incomplete Quad C4. Thanks

Comment

I too have been on a high dose of morphine for almost 9 years. My BR has been 1 sennakot twice daily, 1 ducosate twice daily, and at least 2 tbsp lactulose in PM. The latter can really get things moving quickly. Its like alchemy trying to find balance.
            My plan is to reduce narco pain meds as best I can to see where my baseline pain is after so many years. Then assess BR. I've decreased morphine by 10% every couple weeks/months as I was able and after a couple years have dropped down to less than 1/4 of what I was at at my 'worst' (which is now 110 mg daily). I've tried magnesium, fresh papaya & supplement. Diet (lots of green veg.), sleep and activity all play upon my routine. One day at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironside View Post
              probing.
              There is no surer way to start my day off on the wrong foot than by 'a lot of probing' in my morning BR. No surer route to a depressive backward looking state of despondency than having to carefully peel off glove after glove after glove.

Comment

I know that your original question was about your bowel routine, but given your comments from yesterday, I feel I need to address that issue. When was the last time that you had a pain evaluation? It is not a good idea to decrease or increase the medications on your own. You have been on this regimine a long time and there are many new treatments/medications out there that may be more effective.
                CKF
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice. I've been taking miraLAX in the morning along with the 4 Senokot and 4 ducolux and I've increased my water intake the day before the bowel routine night which has helped a little bit. So when I put the suppository in it takes about an hour for results to happen then I have to really still work at it to get the rest of it out but it's improving slightly.

Comment

I eat a small handful or two of almonds daily. They help keep your cholesterol low, and are great roughage.
                    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                    T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Working...
                    X