Toenails falling off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toenails falling off

About 9 months ago, I was cutting Chad's toenails and when I cut his big toenail, the entire thing came out in my hand. It was barely attached - I certainly didn't yank at it, and I didn't do anything differently than the past 11 years I've been cutting his toenails. Then today, I took his shoe off and his sock was bloody. The toenail on the toe next to the big toe that the toenail fell off of it had fallen off too!!! What the heck is going on? Is this a circulation issue? Is this common? Chad is really worried. Should we be?
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

We see this quite a bit in people with SCI. I would suggest that he see a podiatrist to be sure that there is nothing treatable causing this. Wearing a different shoe (such as diabetic shoes) may help with this some.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
    X