Ice bath....what would happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice bath....what would happen?

I play wheelchair basketball and my personal trainer suggested that I sit in an ice bath to reduce recovery time. Could anything bad happen if I sit in an ice bath? AD?
    Never Give Up!

What is your level of injury?

Ice bath, how often, how long?

Does your personal trainer know anything about spinal cord injury?

All the best,
    GJ

Comment

Ice bath? Hah, sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 hours just to warm up after wheeling 100 feet from the van to the house on a 0? F day.
      Don - Grad Student Emeritus
      T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

I do it after Marathons in the Summer because I do not sweat and its a way I can cool down.

Comment

I would shiver uncontrollably. I'm not good in the cold. We don't get goosebumps at my level, C-5, so my body's natural response is to shiver to try to warm up although not too long ago they had ice packs all around me to bring down my temperature of 103.7 when I had an infection. I think the next step, if I didn't cool off from that, was to get an ice bath to bring my temperature down
          C-5/6, 7-9-2000
          Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

Do I have to worry about AD?
            Never Give Up!

Comment

T12-L1, my personal trainer knows about my injury. Not in detail but in general.
              Never Give Up!

Comment

I'm T-10 complete and I would not do it. I can not keep warm during the day. My hands stay freezing cold and I feel cold all over during the day. I sweat and get super hot at night but I take Ambien which i think increases my blood pressure at night and I sleep with my husband who is a HEATER and 2 small dogs on or near me all night. I wake up hot in the night constantly but CANNOT stay warm in the day. An Ice bath would be a nightmare for me.
                DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by TheAbleChef View Post
                  Do I have to worry about AD?
                  Yes, possibly although your injury is low for AD. Have you ever had AD??. AD could be caused for those at risk either from the cold itself, or from the muscle spasm that can be caused by sudden immersion in an ice bath. This is also a shock to your heart...people who are suddenly immersed in ice water (such as being dumped in a pond in the winter) may actually die from cardiac arrest before they get hypothermia or drown.

A cool (not cold) shower, or getting into an pool heated no more than 75F would be safer and probably just as effective.

A personal trainer is not going to have the experience or education to determine if this is safe for you, even if they have done so with other wheelchair athletes.

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I would turn into a freaking spaze machine. I had problems in a pool "heated to 82F" and literally bounced across it on my toes. I'd never get warm again. Even for a lower injury I'd stick with ice packs under towels or the cool shower.
                    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

TheAbleChef
                      Maybe you could keep your legs up in the air, and out of the ice water, just a thought.
                      Sounds painful to me, but your a lot younger. Let us know what happens.
                      T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

I have had a few incidents when i really overheated because of the temperature in my van. In all those incidents I was packed in ice (nearly whole body). It took .5 to 1.5 hours to get my temp down to normal. I am a C-7 complete and do get AD from trauma, etc. The ice did not produce it. Also, an uncle of my wife's had MS and regularly used ice baths to reduce spasticity without consequence. I do not think it would cause any harm as long as you monitored your temp to make sure you do not overdo it and end up with hypothermia.
                        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

I've needed cooled down too including once in the hospital and ice and my legs just do not work. Heat turns them to jello but they still react badly to cold water and ice directly on my skin. I can add cool wet towels and get naked below a fan and use wrapped ice packs under the arms and in the groin area and then into a cool shower. I also drink icy drinks.
                          Can you get a cool bath instead of the cold one?
                          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

This is interesting re: ice baths: http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2011/09...inhibitor.html

Comment

Working...
                            X