Question about bowel program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about bowel program

I'm c-4 c-7 quad & I've used Magic Bullets for 20 years. Clear any bm out of the lower cavity. Then insert MB & wait & wait for it to do something.
    Recently to speed things up my aide keeps stimulating & bringing more bowel down & manually extracting the bm. Skipping the MB all together most of the time.
    My question is this a bad thing to do? Because my muscles are not being used at all. It's all being manually extracted.
    Could they stop working all together if I'm not using them?
    TIA
    sigpic

Mona- If you are doing digital stim, it is probably ok to do. If you are just doing manual extraction, it is not. I know many people who have stopped using a suppository and just do dig stim and it works fine for them. You are stimulating peristalsis, which is the bowel by doing this. DOes this help? CKF
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I guess I had that question too... my routine has changed, and seems like I go when I feel I have to go, no suppository, just stim n manually extracting til im done. Is that wrong? And how do I change?
      I have more to claim.
      I have to fight through the hard places
      to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

Comment

If you have feeling, I would use that as my trigger if you can. Does it happen at a fairly consistent time? If so, go with it. And try not using a suppository. I would encourage you to try to use just the dig stim with manual removal for any hard stool right at the end of the rectum. It might take a week or two of trying to see what works best, but it never hurts to try to get back to what is considered "the norm". Anytime you can cut out a medication, in my opinion, as long as it doesn't hurt you, it is not a bad thing. CKF
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Ive noticed once I bring down after stimming, it doesnt come out til I remove?
          I have more to claim.
          I have to fight through the hard places
          to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

Comment

I would encourage you to only manually remove the hard stool. The rest should follow with more dig stim.
            CKF

Comment

Working...
            X