Low Blood pressure/hypotension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Blood pressure/hypotension

What the heck, I've been injured for almost 34 years and about three years ago I started with low blood pressure/hypotension issues. When my pressure goes below 90/?? I start becoming severely symptomatic. Why for the first 30 years I was fine but now I'm symptomatic? I get very lightheaded, hard to breathe, and I get nauseous. I'm now on 5 mg of midodrine 2x a day and it seems to help some. Can I do anything else to feel better?

As we age, things change. That happens with or without a SCI, however having one doesn't help this process.

Do you wear compression stockings? An abdominal binder? Try getting up slowly - like sitting up a little at a time. Take deep breaths through your nose, slowly and slowly exhale through your mouth. Also, do you eat any salt? A little (and notice the word) MAY help you with this as long as there is not a reason to have it.

Hope this helps.

CKF
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I would take my midodrine before I got out of bed and before I ate.

Always wear a binder..the most critical thing for me for blood pressure.

Also, if you stomach is working hard due to digestion...it will take blood flow and make you lower..may also be causing the nausea?

Drink your breakfast (a meal shake with blended fruit is what I use) and make it easier on your digestion. Makes the day sooo much easier not to struggle early on.

Drink lots of water...critical. Keep water bottle with you at all times.

and yes, coffee and salt help.
      "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

I don't have to use the abdominal binder every day but do as needed. I do wear compression socks although they are more for swelling. My Dr. used to recommend a dill pickle and a glass of water as an emergency measure.

Isn't coffee somewhat of a diuretic and therefore liable to lower pressure?
        Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

I was taking midodrine but learned for me, drinking much more water before getting up and before or with meals is all I need. No more midodrine in @ a year . Midodrine made my scalp tingly and gave me heart palpitations. Be careful.
          "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
          ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Comment

Im having a similar issue but its being called postural orthostatic tachycardia. symptoms are as you describe.

I am taking fludacortisol once a day. I think it might help.

Comment

Originally posted by TomRL View Post
              I don't have to use the abdominal binder every day but do as needed. I do wear compression socks although they are more for swelling. My Dr. used to recommend a dill pickle and a glass of water as an emergency measure.

Isn't coffee somewhat of a diuretic and therefore liable to lower pressure?
              interesting. pickle juice also seems to help.

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies that's why I love this site :-)! The weird thing is that my pressure can stabilize for three days then all of a sudden I crash. I would love to find out what the issue is.

Comment

Let us know if you figure it out.
                  CKF
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorrie View Post
                    I was taking midodrine but learned for me, drinking much more water before getting up and before or with meals is all I need. No more midodrine in @ a year . Midodrine made my scalp tingly and gave me heart palpitations. Be careful.
                    I think the tingling and goosebumps can be a side effect of the med. It's important to remember it could also be a sign of mild AD. I had to cut my dose in half because I was getting the symptoms I listed. Of course, a high blood pressure for me is a super low one for an AB. lol
                    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by november View Post
                      I think the tingling and goosebumps can be a side effect of the med. It's important to remember it could also be a sign of mild AD. I had to cut my dose in half because I was getting the symptoms I listed. Of course, a high blood pressure for me is a super low one for an AB. lol
                      I have a question regarding Midodrine as well. I've been prescribed with midodrine by my personal doctor few months ago, as my blood pressure was quite low on several occasions (if I remember correctly, my lowest measured blood pressure was 88/65 mmHg). Midodrine did help me elevate my blood pressure levels (from an average 90/70 to about 100/80 mmHg which is normal blood pressure for me, although by some standards such value may indicate hypotension - blood pressure chart).

My question was - did you had any other side effects from using this drugs?

Also, another question regarding low blood pressure - did you try adding a bit more salt to your diet in order to elevate BP? I am doing that lately and I must say that I'm seeing some better results. Still, my blood pressure is pretty low, but there might be an effect on it because I use more salt with my food. Strangely enough, salt is bad, but in my case it might really work?

Regards, TG

Comment

I haven't experienced any side effects while taking Midodrine. I have tried to add more salt to foods I eat, but I have to be really careful with that because when I have too much salt in my diet, my feet seem to swell more and stay swollen longer. In November, NL and I were away for about a week, ate all of our meals out (food much saltier than what we eat at home) and I had a difficult time with edema in my feet.

All the best,
                        GJ

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                          I haven't experienced any side effects while taking Midodrine. I have tried to add more salt to foods I eat, but I have to be really careful with that because when I have too much salt in my diet, my feet seem to swell more and stay swollen longer. In November, NL and I were away for about a week, ate all of our meals out (food much saltier than what we eat at home) and I had a difficult time with edema in my feet.

All the best,
                          GJ
                          Thank you for your reply. I will pay attention to the amount of salt I'm adding on top. I will report back with (hopefully) some positive results.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post

All the best.
                            GJ

My normal is 90/60 and I rarely have what I call a "crash" and then a few large glasses of water take care of it. I have the same problem when traveling. Our last cruise was the worst. I stay away from cocktails with sour mix, watch the foods I eat and down at least 2 liter bottles of water daily plus juices, iced tea and have noticed I have cut my bar bill a lot without even trying as I age and my feet refused to go completely down even after a long night of good sleep. Any ideas on how to fix the swelling without compression hose because those are hot, tight and drive me buggy. I do not want to start shopping for extra wide dress shoes or start having pressure spots on my feet.
                            Sue
                            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Sue-
                              I am assuming that you are elevating your feet when you can - it might help to take a little break in the afternoon and just put them up for a short while. I know that is not always easy, but could help when you can do it.
                              CKF

Comment

Working...
                              X