Oxybutynin and Oxybutynin CL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxybutynin and Oxybutynin CL

Is it necessarry to take both, if you were taking regular Oxybutynin first (for yrs), in order not to leak? Or will the Oxybutynin CL be enough for all my needs?
    May the fetus you save be gay

Oxybutynin CL? You mean Ditropan XL or Oxybutynin Chloride ER? If the later two then, yes. Most take 10-20 mg a day and don't need the generic blue tabs anymore.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

oxybutynin = ditropan
      regular oxybutynin is dosed to be taken 2-3 times per day
      oxybutynin XL is a one time daily dosing to cover neurogenic spastic bladder for 24 hours

pbr
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        oxybutynin = ditropan
        regular oxybutynin is dosed to be taken 2-3 times per day
        oxybutynin XL is a one time daily dosing to cover neurogenic spastic bladder for 24 hours
        The XL is supposed to be a once a day dose but almost everyone I know takes it twice a day. I believe it is because of how the drug is dispensed from the laser hole in the capsule and our slower digestive systems. Either way, the side effects like dry mouth, fuzzy vision , dandruff, dry skin eases up A LOT with the XL even if overall you may be taking more milligrams a day from the regular formula in the blue pills.
        Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

oxybutynin not as pills , how you say in english ? liquid ? for direct instilation in bladder is better no second effects , but you need the special catheter , etc ...

Comment

I am not aware of ditropan/oxybutynin in form to be dispensed into the bladder

I agree with above that many patients find the XL "wearing off" at the end of the day. I suggested to a patient yesterday to take it a bedtime since his biggest complaint was leaking during the night. We'll see how that works

pbr
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

i can make a picture and sent to your e mail . Oxybutynin to be like you say dispensed direct to bladder . 0.5 mg/ ml in a 10 ml little bottel . This is " after a long time of proving different things " the best solution i got .
              In Switzerland it is available .

Comment

I know there is a liquid form of oxybutynin in the US. While trying to find a way to avoid using catheters at all early on I was put on a course of the pediatric liquid orally. I imagine the same liquid could be instilled after diluting it with sterile water.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
                  I know there is a liquid form of oxybutynin in the US. While trying to find a way to avoid using catheters at all early on I was put on a course of the pediatric liquid orally. I imagine the same liquid could be instilled after diluting it with sterile water.
                  Why do you think you would need to dilute it with sterile water? I believe the concentration in the paediatric liquid is 2.5 mg in 5 mL, and therefore 10mg in 20mL....so would that not be suitable without dilution?

(I'm interested because we are considering intravesicular use for my son, and I had forgotten about the paediatric liquid until reading this thread).

Gysula, it sounds like you can get a different concentration level in Switzerland. Can you choose different concentrations?
                  Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

I had a tiny measuring spoon for taking it. It was not a suspension. Without diluting it with sterile water I would think it would clog the catheter on instillation or as it was released. I don't remember my dose other than it was less than 1/2 a 5mg tablet. I do remember it was not a thin, watery liguid. It was more like a thickish pink liquid.

Comment

The XL is supposed to be a once a day dose but almost everyone I know takes it twice a day. I believe it is because of how the drug is dispensed from the laser hole in the capsule and our slower digestive systems. Either way, the side effects like dry mouth, fuzzy vision , dandruff, dry skin eases up A LOT with the XL even if overall you may be taking more milligrams a day from the regular formula in the blue pills.
                      Wow I never knew Oxybutynin causes dry skin & dandruff. I have been wondering forever why I have such itchy flaky scalp and really dry skin. I use Oxybutynin CL ER

Comment

I had a tiny measuring spoon for taking it. It was not a suspension. Without diluting it with sterile water I would think it would clog the catheter on instillation or as it was released. I don't remember my dose other than it was less than 1/2 a 5mg tablet. I do remember it was not a thin, watery liguid. It was more like a thickish pink liquid.
                        Thanks Sue. I guess whatever liquid is used in the paediatric version is more to make it more pleasant for kids, rather than to make it less dense. It's been over 5 years since my son stopped taking the liquid form, and I honestly can't remember much about it now!
                        Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                          Thanks Sue. I guess whatever liquid is used in the paediatric version is more to make it more pleasant for kids, rather than to make it less dense. It's been over 5 years since my son stopped taking the liquid form, and I honestly can't remember much about it now!
                          Been about 15 years since I used it so barely remember it other than the funny measuring spoon. I don't remember any particulary nasty taste so whether it was thick due to a sweetening additive or to keep it equally suspended in the bottles I don't know. Any urologist who is familiar with SCI, MS or spina bfida or the elderly will be able to find all the forms it comes in or will consult with a pediatric urologist if needed. In the US I'm sure a compounding pharmacy could help a doctor with a liquid dose easy to instill in the bladder.

Comment

Originally posted by SequinScandal View Post
                            Wow I never knew Oxybutynin causes dry skin & dandruff. I have been wondering forever why I have such itchy flaky scalp and really dry skin. I use Oxybutynin CL ER
                            Every anticholergenic drug I've come across causes all the dryness I've listed and then some. For most of us the worst was the old immediate release Ditropan/oxybutynin chloride in the 5mg blue tabs 3 or 4 times a day. Even know most hospitals do not carry any of these drugs but if they do it's the old blues. I always take my Ditropan XL along and when the charge nurse comes to tell me they don't have it I let her/him know I have enough for my stay.

But yes, I had dandruff so bad the first few years 2 different hair salons did not want me to return after it didn't stop within 6 months. Thankfully the XL came out and that is gone although winters dry air still makes my skin dry and I use more moisturizer and conditioner then. And anyone taking these drugs should let their dentists know and their eye doctors.

US rehab started going down hill when we stopped all the CRRN programs. I left fairly well prepared on my drugs, side effects, blood testing needed and when and interactions. I Google the brand name of new drugs if I find something different going on. For overall information the site rxlist.com has good info.

Comment

oxybutynin

Originally posted by Gordy1 View Post
                              Why do you think you would need to dilute it with sterile water? I believe the concentration in the paediatric liquid is 2.5 mg in 5 mL, and therefore 10mg in 20mL....so would that not be suitable without dilution?

(I'm interested because we are considering intravesicular use for my son, and I had forgotten about the paediatric liquid until reading this thread).

Gysula, it sounds like you can get a different concentration level in Switzerland. Can you choose different concentrations?
                              i dont know if it is possible to get different levels . my urologist determined that for me 2 times in the day 0.5 mg in a bottle of 10 ml and it is like water . i can ask her if you want .

Comment

Working...
                              X