Suppository just comes out when he gets on commode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suppository just comes out when he gets on commode

hi all. My husband is C6/7 . We've been trying to make his bowel program a little more independent and have him jump on the commode . We use suppositories (haven't had luck without them.)
    But my question is.. We put a suppository in- wait about 20 minutes- he jumps on the commode, and out comes the suppository. Has it already soaked in by then or are we losing whatever it does? Should we be waiting longer- he usually sits there a long while before he goes (if at all)....
    but he says he feels like he has to go- then its just the suppository that comes out.. hmmmm ????

Are you using the water based suppositories? They should release enough of the chemical to be effective within 20 minutes. Ry usually passes the "bullet" remains (about half the bullet) in the first wave (15-20 minutes).

How was he doing his program before? Was he using a commode chair? If he is passing the suppository prematurely because he is transferring to the commode, is it possible to insert the suppository after he transfers?--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

Maybe the suppository is not inserted high enough. There have been times my suppository hasn't melted all the way, but I still have results. Try drinking some hot water while on the toilet that seems to help evacute faster for me.
      A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Are you using magic bullets, regular bisacodyl suppositories or Enemeez mini enemas?

Magic Bullets are water soluble based bisacodyl rather than Ducolax vegetable oil based and work quicker. Enemeez are Docusate Sodium based.

The key in either use is clearing the rectal vault of stool before inserting the suppository or mini enema. Once the rectal vault is void of stool, the suppository or mini enema can be inserted.

I am c6/7 complete. My program is:
        Roll to one side and place a disposable pad
        With a lubricated, gloved finger remove all stool in the rectal vault
        With a lubricated, gloved finger insert a suppository
        Roll to my back and wait 10-20 minutes
        Transfer onto a commode chair
        Allow bowels to move with the stimulation of the suppository
        Digital stimulation
        Allow time for bowels to move
        Digital stimulation
        Allow some more time for bowels to move
        Digital stimulation to make sure all stool/and remnants of the suppository are removed.
        Clean up and transfer back into bed.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
        GJ

Comment

Ya, you've gotta really shove it up there as I remember, been many years since I used them, but it needs to go in far enough to stay put.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I would try enemeeze. Works a lot better for me than suppositories.

Comment

What type of suppository?? With glycerine, this is normal...they do not melt. If you are using bisacodyl suppositories, don't keep them in the refrigerator, and try the Magic Bullet instead of regular (Dulcolax) suppositories (if you can afford them).

Is he inserting his own suppository?? If so, then Enemeez can be a problem without finger function.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

We use Dulcolax (bisacodyl ) suppositories ... There is never any stool there when I insert it, and i get it as far as I can (short fingers ... I'm the one who puts it in for now... Before we just did the BP in bed with disposable pads , but he's way tired of this and wants to try the toilet .
                Maybe I'll try the magic bullet? Seems like a lot of people have luck with them ..it would be nice if something worked a little faster also- you know the deal

Comment

Magic Bullet works best for my husband. I think it is worth the expense and you can comparison shop online.
                  Once he is in his commode/shower chair it is inserted-and must be high enough.

Comment

I have tried both and the Magic Bullet works 100% better and within 20-30 minutes for me. I actually insert it while lying down on my side , then wait 10-15 minutes before transferring onto my bathroom chair . I recommend trying the Magic Bullet

Comment

I use the same method as "jimmyg2727." I never have a problem with the suppository falling out.

The Magic Bullet suppositories should work faster than regular bisacodyl suppositories like Ducolax. Magic Bullets are water based and melt quicker than bisocodyl suppositories that are vegetable oil based.

If you want to try Enemeez, there is a good method on this thread: /forum/showthread.php?t=149917
                      Go to the Enemeez website. They have a free sample program.

All the best,
                      GJ

Comment

Just ordered some Magic Bullets- they should be here any day... Hopefully they will get us moving in the right direction with the BP here.. It takes way too long

Comment

I am a recent convert to the Enemeez - it solved a lot of issues for me. Back in the early days of my bowel routine I did have times when the suppository would pop out. That was an indicator of stuff up in there that needed to be pulled out before the little bullet would work properly. Being among the floppy fingered that used the tool to insert the bullet to start with having to try to remove stuff first never worked well for me.

Comment

c7 quad - complete. Pretty independent. No grasp. etc Good biceps and decent triceps.
                            No feeling below nipples (approx)...........

Enemeez has changed my BP for the better. Extremely better. For 31 years I used bisacodyl and magic bullet suppositories. I discovered Enemeez here and contacted the company. They were very generous and sent me 10 mini-enemas. 1 box of regular and 1 box of Plus.

I stayed on that shower chair 1hr when i used suppositories (including 15min shower). Results were at least 20% unpredictable and accidents afterwards were common.

Not anymore. My BP is not a worry/problem anymore. Not since Enemeez. I use Enemeez Plus but the regular worked fine.

my bp generally starts in bed.......
                            1. Digitally clear canal. All this takes (unless ur stuffed) is a check to make sure you don't squirt liquid directly into stool. Just push the crap aside.
                            2. Lubricate Enemeez well and shove it as directed.
                            3. Either get right up to shower/commode chair or put an extra pad down and wait 5-20min.
                            YOU WILL KNOW......If nothing happens, use another one. Something will happen.
                            If u get up after insertion make sure your shower bucket has a little toilet paper in bottom, chances are you're bowels r gonna release.
                            4. Depending on how stuffed i determine i am, i use either method in 3.
                            if im stuffed i stay in bed until completion (10-20 min)
                            5. Less time on shower chair and more time taking shower. Wonderful
                            6 so far ive used E+ approx. 200 times. Maybe 2 or 3 after BP accidents and as complex as the body is the so-called accidents were prob. due to diet or gas.

It been life changing ....................YOUR HEMORRHOIDS WILL THANK YOU
                            Last edited by FLAX; 26 Apr 2013, 7:10 PM.

Comment

Whenever I need a little help, I use the fleet glicyern liquid suppositories like these http://www.vitacost.com/fleet-laxati...FS9dQgodBSoABg , these work pretty quick as opposed to the waiting of the hard suppositories. Thankfully with akk the fiber I eat, I haven't needed tem lately, although I do have to manually remove everything with a lubed gloved and as it ne'er ever comes out on its own. There's just no function there for me at all, although with these liquid fleet suppositories, it does kind of help it fall out.
                              BobbieLee
                              SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X