Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started trying independent bowel program but..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use suppository inserter

So, I was trying to use the suppository inserter...but, the suppository crumbles apart when I try to place it out the tip. What am I doing wrong-the suppository goes on the tip right? The instructions are minimalist with details too.

Comment

The suppository goes into the hollow area of the tip, and then is ejected into the rectum with the spring mechanism when you push upwards with the handle:

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by underthesun View Post
        So, I was trying to use the suppository inserter...but, the suppository crumbles apart when I try to place it out the tip. What am I doing wrong-the suppository goes on the tip right? The instructions are minimalist with details too.
        Be careful and I have a friend who was doing his and caused a lot of dammage and bleeding inside his rectum. He ended up getting a colostomy and is liking it.
        search Care Cure for Bigsky50 and you should find the thread. he could answer other questions for you as well.

Good Luck
        Stevie P

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          The suppository goes into the hollow area of the tip, and then is ejected into the rectum with the spring mechanism when you push upwards with the handle:

(KLD)
          Thanks SCI nurse..As I was doing my bowel program today, the possibility occurred to me that yesterday, my attendant had accidentally placed each tool back into the wrong package. So yesterday, I mistakenly used to inserter as a stimulator...no wonder it wasn't going in easily. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by StevieP View Post
            Be careful and I have a friend who was doing his and caused a lot of dammage and bleeding inside his rectum. He ended up getting a colostomy and is liking it.
            search Care Cure for Bigsky50 and you should find the thread. he could answer other questions for you as well.

Good Luck
            Stevie P
            yeah, I'm being extra cautious. I guess it doesn't help that I used a suppository inserter as a stimulator yesterday.

I'll definitely check out bigsky50's thread....thanks! But, I suppose having a stoma already for emptying my bladder would rule out a colostomy.

Comment

if there's already stool

To avoid inserting a suppository into a rectal vault that's already filled with stool, should I start the program with the stimulator to get everything out?

Under the original bp, my attendant easily pulled out whatever's at the opening but...how do I pull everything out? Worse comes to worse and I insert a suppository into a full vault, will the suppository just melt without getting any results?

Comment

The purpose of the suppository is to bring stool down into the rectum from higher in the colon. If your rectum is already full, try doing just digital stimulation and skip the suppository. This works for many people.

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

The purpose of the suppository is to bring stool down into the rectum from higher in the colon. If your rectum is already full, try doing just digital stimulation and skip the suppository. This works for many people.

(KLD)
                  Thanks!!

Comment

(KLD)
                    SCI Nurse,

I've started to notice a tiny piece of fleshy skin sticking out of the opening of my anus...when I insert a suppository, it goes right back it, but ends up sticking out after I'm done eliminating. I didn't notice this piece of pink flesh before....should I be concerned???

Comment

Originally posted by underthesun View Post
                      SCI Nurse,

I've started to notice a tiny piece of fleshy skin sticking out of the opening of my anus...when I insert a suppository, it goes right back it, but ends up sticking out after I'm done eliminating. I didn't notice this piece of pink flesh before....should I be concerned???
                      Probably a hemorrhoid.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRainman View Post
                        Probably a hemorrhoid.
                        uh oh...I know people with SCI are susceptible. Could it have been triggered by the toileting aids because it showed up immediately after I started using them??

Comment

Working...
                        X