Saline Enemas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saline Enemas?

Just watched Dr. Oz on tv & he suggested Saline Enemas for constipation. Any quads use Saline Enemas?
    I've used Magic Bullets for 20 yrs. Any chance Saline Enemas would work on me?
    Plus wouldn't it leak right back out?

Thanks
    sigpic

I occasionally use enemas with a balloon tip if I get backed up. I use ivory soap and not saline. I think anything that will mildly irritate your colon will help move things along so to speak. I bought a peristeen from austrialia and it was expensive and not very sturdy. You can get more durable enema products with a balloon tip that prevents it from coming out but beware it will take you to places on the internet you will wish you hadn't seen.

Also Mona, I forget are you a quad? If so there is a lot of dexterity involved in all this that I would think a quad would need help with.

One last thing, I find that simply downing mag-citrate when I get blocked up to be a more effective solution (but requires sticking close to the bathroom for a day)

Comment

Thanks t8 but my aide would be adminstrating it. I'm not sure about your comment about the internet. So maybe I shouldn't look?
      sigpic

Comment

Drastic stuff! Addressing it through diet hasn't worked?

Comment

Sure any enema will clean you out. We don't suggest enemas of any kind except as a last resort- when suppostories, enemeez etc.. aren't working and still constipated. Not as a routine part of your regimen.
          CWO
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

As T8 pointed out quads don't hold enemas long unless you plan on doing all this in bed. Mag citrate can help for the rare problem but if this is constant you might want to start taking a daily dose of Milk of Magnesia or ducolex tablets. You'll want to talk to your doctor about this though because even the mildest laxatives can make you dependent on them. Are you taking any meds that cause constipation like pain meds?
            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Large volume enemas and colonics can also cause autonomic dysreflexia in those at risk. Long term, routine use can also make you at higher risk for megacolon. Reserve these for times when you are badly constipated or impacted, but as above, they are very difficult to give successfully in someone with SCI, and quite a mess.

Dr. Oz knows little about SCI bowel management!

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

"Dr. Oz knows little about SCI bowel management!"

But he's cuter than most GI docs. :-) After my most recent colonoscopy I suggest GoLyghtly because it is still working over a week after the test. Never doing that version again.
                Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

but he's a cardiologist....
                  "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                  http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by crypticgimp View Post
                    but he's a cardiologist....
                    Actually, a cardiac SURGEON.

(KLD)

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                      Actually, a cardiac SURGEON.

(KLD)
                      yup...
                      "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                      http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

I find if I take a 1 l soapsud enema, using a large tip I can hold it 10 to 15 min, then 2 tapwater enemas an hr or 2 apart once a wk I dont get backed up as bad. I used to use suppositories, laxative and a lot of different things, my college roommate got me on that. I avoidesd enemas because id had a few given on me when I was little. my rm is a cna, and it was surprisingly tolerable. I still wont usually do them on my own, but my PA ordered a home aid to come 1 or 2 times a week. I dont mind them at all now, and look forward to the light tx, rather than many large, uncomfortable ones at the clinic if I wait to long

Comment

Ooh ooh, banter is coming back to the forums!!
                          Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                          T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

We try and refrain from routine enemas and recommend only if you really need and have tried stool softener a, suppositories and enemeez. Same with laxatives .. Use as rescue! Because once you start using enemas you will continue to need. Fleets enemas. 4 is should be enough or plain tap water. CEOCEO

Comment

Working...
                            X