Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many calories does it take to maintain weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many calories does it take to maintain weight?

I am a C5/6 quad and him having some eating issues. I'd go into more depth but I'm limited on time right now. It's important that I don't lose weight. If I'm 5'6 and weigh 145 pounds, have pretty much no exercise to speak of, how many calories would I have to consume each day so I wouldn't be losing weight?

There are a lot of calculators out that you can find on the internet. Try a search. Some more complex than the others. This quick method is based on total body weight in an average person. men and women. Of course there are a lot of variable based on sex, basil metabolism, activity level.

Fat loss = 12-13 calories per lb. of bodyweight

Maintenance (TDEE) = 15-16 calories per lb. of bodyweight

Weight gain = 18-19 calories per lb. of bodyweight

All the best,
    GJ

Comment

I would highly recommend a Dexa Scan and a resting energy expenditure test. I sign up for them in clinical trials. Quite a few hospitals do this for spinal cord patients. You will get an exact calorie count. SCI individuals burn much less. I am a T-10 complete. I weigh 155 and burn under 1400 calories a day. If I do exercise, I will burn more but not much. You are better using the number 10 times your current weight. You will be close to your resting calorie count per day. It is harder to loose when you need to minus 3500 calories to loose a pound. I wish you well.
      If you are from the New Jersey or NYC area, Kessler research in West Orange has this study. I believe there are test sites in most states.

Comment

I've taken to eating lots of protein.... and garlic rice cakes Everything in moderation of course, right? but snacking?...garlic rice cakes. yum

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMonte View Post
          I would highly recommend a Dexa Scan and a resting energy expenditure test. I sign up for them in clinical trials. Quite a few hospitals do this for spinal cord patients. You will get an exact calorie count. SCI individuals burn much less. I am a T-10 complete. I weigh 155 and burn under 1400 calories a day. If I do exercise, I will burn more but not much. You are better using the number 10 times your current weight. You will be close to your resting calorie count per day. It is harder to loose when you need to minus 3500 calories to loose a pound. I wish you well.
          If you are from the New Jersey or NYC area, Kessler research in West Orange has this study. I believe there are test sites in most states.
          Thanks Joe. I've been wondering what and if there were tests that could determine the idea calorie intake on an individual basis. Hope to find an avenue where I am to get these tests done.
          C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
            There are a lot of calculators out that you can find on the internet. Try a search. Some more complex than the others. This quick method is based on total body weight in an average person. men and women. Of course there are a lot of variable based on sex, basil metabolism, activity level.

Fat loss = 12-13 calories per lb. of bodyweight

Maintenance (TDEE) = 15-16 calories per lb. of bodyweight

Weight gain = 18-19 calories per lb. of bodyweight

All the best,
            GJ
            Is this using current or desired bodyweight?

Comment

You can evaluate your activities and estimate how many calories you are burning every day. As others have pointed out there are a lot of individual differences that factor in such as metabolism.

Estimated calories burned by a 160 lb. male engaging in activities for 1 hour. Lighter people burn slightly less and heavier people burn more. Also, females burn slightly less than males.

sitting and talking on /phone 115
              reading while sitting 90
              sleeping 70
              wc basketball 470
              casual wheeling 230
              wc light housework 270
              wc racing 690
              fishing while sitting 180
              pushups - vigorous 575
              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Katja View Post
                Is this using current or desired bodyweight?
                Current.

Comment

Lewis,
                  I would check the Clinical trial site. There should be one in Mass. It is worth having it done. We also did the smart pill with this trial. Most SCI people take 5 to 7 days to pass food. That is something to consider when you eat. This study taught me a lot with maintaining body weight and how to loose if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                    You can evaluate your activities and estimate how many calories you are burning every day. As others have pointed out there are a lot of individual differences that factor in such as metabolism.

Estimated calories burned by a 160 lb. male engaging in activities for 1 hour. Lighter people burn slightly less and heavier people burn more. Also, females burn slightly less than males.

sitting and talking on /phone 115
                    reading while sitting 90
                    sleeping 70
                    wc basketball 470
                    casual wheeling 230
                    wc light housework 270
                    wc racing 690
                    fishing while sitting 180
                    pushups - vigorous 575
                    Hmmm, casual wheeling or fishing while sitting?

Comment

Thanks everyone~

Does anyone know of specific links to these clinic trials?

Comment

I would recommend that you see a dietician. She will be able to help you look at your diet, determine what foods are better for your particular goals and even give you recipes.

Many (not all) of the insurance plans cover this as a part of medical management.
                        CKF
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                        X