Colostomy Questions For a Quad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
    As a quad who's had a colostomy since '05, I disagree. It's definitely possible to stay odor-free. I irrigate, but even when I eat stuff that goes through me before I get around to clearing it all out, I can fill a pouch and the only sign of it is visual.

I use 1 piece Coloplast Assura mini pouches, FWIW. A new pouch each time probably helps. They cost me a few cents over $2/ea.
    I'm in my 19th year with one and agree that you can stay odor free if you don't go much or keep your bag new.

Sheesh, you and OffRW make it sound like I need a colostomy makeover. You should respect your colostomate elder.

Comment

This thread keeps reappearing like a bad penny.

Originally posted by Patton57 View Post
      There is an odor and there's just no way around it. 9 out of 10 won't know what it is but some will.

Trust me, if you have a spouse they'll be honest with you about the smell.

It is still worth it no matter the stigma IMHO.

I can smell mine about 25% of the time. It's faint but it is there.
      Maybe I should update this metaphor to a "bad $5 bill" who uses pennies anymore?
      Anyway, the Colostomy thing looms over me, I guess ever since my original rehab MD tried selling me on the wonders of having a colostomy, I fear it in my future. Every day I don't have a 2nd butthole is a good day. I had IBS before I busted my neck, a lot of gas, and gas is gas. I never met an appliance (hate this term) that I wasn't convinced would smell. I mean after all, they're vented. No charcoal going to absorb all gas. I saw one contraption that tried to mitigate smell by venting via tube out shirt pocket. Now that was clever, frontal farts. What's the strategy here?
      Unless you can direct the appliance venting to the pet dog, or better yet, direct the vent tube a feet safely above the chair and ignite it for burn off like a refinery, the vent is a bodily exit and the exit will smell.

Comment

I'm in my 19th year with one and agree that you can stay odor free if you don't go much or keep your bag new.

Sheesh, you and OffRW make it sound like I need a colostomy makeover. You should respect your colostomate elder.
        Replacing the bag every other day is worth the expense for me. A good irrigation = a big dump.

And yes, if you're smelling it 25% of the time, you should consider a makeover. It's not a matter of disrespect.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
          Maybe I should update this metaphor to a "bad $5 bill" who uses pennies anymore?
          Anyway, the Colostomy thing looms over me, I guess ever since my original rehab MD tried selling me on the wonders of having a colostomy, I fear it in my future. Every day I don't have a 2nd butthole is a good day. I had IBS before I busted my neck, a lot of gas, and gas is gas. I never met an appliance (hate this term) that I wasn't convinced would smell. I mean after all, they're vented. No charcoal going to absorb all gas. I saw one contraption that tried to mitigate smell by venting via tube out shirt pocket. Now that was clever, frontal farts. What's the strategy here?
          Unless you can direct the appliance venting to the pet dog, or better yet, direct the vent tube a feet safely above the chair and ignite it for burn off like a refinery, the vent is a bodily exit and the exit will smell.
          The pouches I use actually don't vent well & eventually balloon up with enough gas (it's annoying). The seal can be pulled away and re-stuck a few times before losing its effectiveness. But, one benefit to this design "flaw" is that I can vent farts in private.

Comment

Originally posted by dnvrdave View Post
            My main concern is with the odor. I don't want to even smell it myself (and I'm very sensitive to odors). I'd get 4 more hemorrhoidectomies before I'd deal with the odor. And if I had to get a colostomy, and there was an odor, I guess I'd stop working and go on disability. I guess the social stigma is a big deal for me. I don't want to stink.
            Dave,
            Like the others said their are ways to not have any smell in public, but to be honest from my perspective and to answer you based upon the way you worded your question "I don't want to even smell it my self" you might be best off not getting it done and keep doing your BP. Because you have to clean the stoma, clean your skin, change the bag and the last thing I would recommend for any person with SCI is to stop being apart of community or active in this world.

I do have a few questions:
            How do you do your BP now?
            Do you have someone do it for you?
            How do you not smell it when you do it?
            (I remember when I did mine, it would smell bad and it stunk up the whole apartment.)

Stevie P

Comment

Originally posted by StevieP View Post
              Dave,
              Like the others said their are ways to not have any smell in public, but to be honest from my perspective and to answer you based upon the way you worded your question "I don't want to even smell it my self" you might be best off not getting it done and keep doing your BP. Because you have to clean the stoma, clean your skin, change the bag and the last thing I would recommend for any person with SCI is to stop being apart of community or active in this world.

I do have a few questions:
              How do you do your BP now?
              Do you have someone do it for you?
              How do you not smell it when you do it?
              (I remember when I did mine, it would smell bad and it stunk up the whole apartment.)

Stevie P
              Thanks for your reply and your email Steve, and your support of Big Sky (i.e. this thread).

I'm just talking about smelling it in public, constantly, which folks are now reassuring me would probably not happen for me. I'll have to investigate irrigation more. I am assuming that colostomy care would be nominal odor, about the same as my BP now (on toilet twice a day) or an avg AB. I have more research to do.

I wouldn't like the idea of sleeping on the same side every night. It would hurt my neck, possibly my posture, and probably my skin. Now, I alternate sides every other night.

For me, I think it is a race between getting my BP down to once a day (assuming that reduces the hemorrhoids) and my roids starting to bleed again (they've been ok since surgery 5 years ago). If they bleed, I will probably have to choose between the colostomy and surgery again or banding (assuming either is viable).
              "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by dnvrdave View Post
                Thanks for your reply and your email Steve, and your support of Big Sky (i.e. this thread).

I'm just talking about smelling it in public, constantly, which folks are now reassuring me would probably not happen for me. I'll have to investigate irrigation more. I am assuming that colostomy care would be nominal odor, about the same as my BP now (on toilet twice a day) or an avg AB. I have more research to do.

I wouldn't like the idea of sleeping on the same side every night. It would hurt my neck, possibly my posture, and probably my skin. Now, I alternate sides every other night.

For me, I think it is a race between getting my BP down to once a day (assuming that reduces the hemorrhoids) and my roids starting to bleed again (they've been ok since surgery 5 years ago). If they bleed, I will probably have to choose between the colostomy and surgery again or banding (assuming either is viable).
                Dave,
                WOW twice a day, Dave how do you do that?? I am not askin literally how, but mentally how do you do it. I thought doing it every other day (one time) was a pain in the ass. I could not do it every day, twice a day.

I sleep on my back and on both sides, when I do sleep on my sides it is not far enough to roll over on my stomach while asleep. The bag is actually on my stomach and not on my side. I have an AB friend with a colostomy who rolls over in the middle of the night (in her sleep) and she says it makes a mess if their is a lot in the bag or she fills the bag when she is on her stomach.

When I have to change my bag it smells like for 2 seconds between the time I take the bag off and put the other one on and get the one I took off in a bag. If I added up the seconds for a day it would be about 30 seconds total and I don't think you can do your program twice a day that fast.

Remember that everyone farts, they have to, even the queen of England and Obama and his wife. Anyone who says they don't has to be lying.

I am off to read your email.
                Later
                Stevie P

Comment

Colostomy

I have had 24 surgeries and one of the only ones that had good result, improved mmy quality of life was the Colostomy Surgery. It truly saved y ass... One reason is , my Ass was on the porcelain throne just about as much as I spent sleeping/ My bathroom issues were a nightmare. I now tos a bag in the Lemon scented Trash bags and pity the trash collectors who are tasked with taking my trash cans every week. If I has rich I would give them a huge Christmas present. That bring me to the negative. WOW.... this is kinda gross, but then what isn't gross when you have a SCI??? The smell for everyone, no one is different or amused to this DOWN SIDE... smells like , %^$#. No escaping it... that's the down side WHeeeewwww... When you remove the bad to tie it up and toss it... I think the neighbors probably know because it find its way down there Chimney and through the tiny space in the door jambs! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it smells like. the worst thing you can imagine. You will learn to get past it, your loved ones will eventually get past it... but.. it is seriously a DOWNSIDE!

Comment

I change my bag daily, in the morning, and rarely have a noticeable odor. If I do so during the day, a quick change typically takes care of it. As far as air building up and the bag getting puffy, I stick a small hole at the upper most part of the bag, let the gas escape, and then slap a piece of regular scotch tape over it. I've never had a problem after doing so.
                    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEye View Post
                      I change my bag daily, in the morning, and rarely have a noticeable odor. If I do so during the day, a quick change typically takes care of it. As far as air building up and the bag getting puffy, I stick a small hole at the upper most part of the bag, let the gas escape, and then slap a piece of regular scotch tape over it. I've never had a problem after doing so.
                      Using a vented bag with a charcoal filter works better than this, without the risks of leakage or odor that making a hole in the bag can cause.

Bad odor is not just a part of having a SCI, or a colostomy. It is more a reflection of your diet, or medication side effects. Your ostomy nurse can help you explore dietary measures to take, or medications, or bag deodorizers that can help with this.

(KLD)
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

The only way to avoid odor is to have a pristine bag (have not gone in it yet).

The other social downside to a colostomy is having gas. You can cut down on it with your diet but it can't be eliminated. If you work in a quiet place you will have gas that others can hear. Sometimes it isn't a big deal and others it is as bad as you can imagine. IMO, this is not a trivial issue because your coworkers opinion of you does matter.

Four years ago, I was having a bad colostomy day (dramatic gas every 15 minutes or so for about half the work day). It was so bad I could barely muffle it (and I tried the best I could). A coworker (not a friend) on the next aisle over called the SVP over to hear it. Thankfully, it didn't happen when the SVP was there but my coworker kept insisting that he stay so that he would witness the "conditions that he shouldn't have to work under".

I still wouldn't discourage anyone from considering getting one though.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                          Using a vented bag with a charcoal filter works better than this, without the risks of leakage or odor that making a hole in the bag can cause.

(KLD)
                          I use a Hollister closed pouch with a charcoal filter but it rarely will release all of the gas. My small pin prick method works just fine to release it all, tape over, and roll. No odor sneaks past the tape and the charcoal filter will rarely fully de-scent the odor.
                          "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

The other social downside to a colostomy is having gas. You can cut down on it with your diet but it can't be eliminated. If you work in a quiet place you will have gas that others can hear. Sometimes it isn't a big deal and others it is as bad as you can imagine. IMO, this is not a trivial issue because your coworkers opinion of you does matter.

Four years ago, I was having a bad colostomy day (dramatic gas every 15 minutes or so for about half the work day). It was so bad I could barely muffle it (and I tried the best I could). A coworker (not a friend) on the next aisle over called the SVP over to hear it. Thankfully, it didn't happen when the SVP was there but my coworker kept insisting that he stay so that he would witness the "conditions that he shouldn't have to work under".

I agree that farts are the biggest problem for me too, and is difficult to deal with in a quiet setting like you describe. We can't feel the gas coming like a normal fart so there's no way to prepare. As Scott has said, irrigation will most likely remove most of this problem but it's just not feasible for me to irrigate.

Comment

farts are a problem but its rare for me

but smell only if wafer hassrung a leak i love mine i use a 2 piece

Comment

The only thing I can think of why your having so much problem with odor is your disbursing liquid type crap. Because I have zero odor. I do fart. But I have never seen or heard anyone of my coworkers or clients say anything negative about it. The big differents is when they fart we all smell it. When we fart there is no odor from us.

As far as your coworkers. You need to contact your human resource dept.. They aren't acting properly.

And I would definitly contact a ostomy nurse. Because you should not be having this type of problem with odors. If you have a solid seal how could you have an odor?

Comment

Working...
                                X