Sleeping with a suprapubic catheter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeping with a suprapubic catheter

What do folks do to keep their catheter tubing from becoming kinked while sleeping? I had a suprapubic catheter placed almost a year ago, and since then, I wake up wet 9 mornings out of 10. Not such a nice way to start each day, and my skin certainly isn't liking it, either. Is there a trick that I'm just not aware of? I typically sleep on my back, but I know my legs are active during the night because they're in all sorts of positions when I wake up. Thanks.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Are you securing the catheter with a securement device, or at least tape? This will help prevent both kinking as well as pistoning or even accidental dislodgment. A device like the StatLock Foley does a good job of this.

or like these:

Next best is a leg strap type securement device:

Also, you do need to keep the bag and tubing properly positioned...with the bag below the level of your bladder, and the tubing above the level of the bag.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Ptarzan80 View Post
      What do folks do to keep their catheter tubing from becoming kinked while sleeping? I had a suprapubic catheter placed almost a year ago, and since then, I wake up wet 9 mornings out of 10. Not such a nice way to start each day, and my skin certainly isn't liking it, either. Is there a trick that I'm just not aware of? I typically sleep on my back, but I know my legs are active during the night because they're in all sorts of positions when I wake up. Thanks.
      I was taught to tape it up to my abdomen at night, has worked well for 23 years.
      ^^(A)^^

Comment

Go slowly with the tape or a Statlock device. I still have scars from "adhesive burns" that I got right after I had my suprapubic catheter placed. Two days after the catheter was placed, I began to notice redness around the edges of the Statlock. We followed the directions and used alcohol to try to release the adhesive. When that didn't work and seemed to make things worse we used baby oil and warm water soaks. Finally, the Statlock came of and I had a patch of blisters the exact shape of the Statlock. It took weeks to heal.

Statlocks are pretty pricey ($4-$5+), so you probably won't want change these everyday either. I can't even use Micropore paper tape. I have used the thigh strap, but it is probably not as effective as one of the adhesive methods. The thigh strap has a tendency to move up and down on the thigh, moving the catheter with it. I wear pretty snug fitting underwear and have been able to tape the catheter to my underwear which protects my skin and does a fair job of stabilizing the catheter.

All the best,
        GJ

Comment

I just put a night bag on, let the tube run over the side of the bed and put the bag in a bucket in case it leaks.
          C 5/6 Comp.
          No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Thanks so much for all the replies. I do wear a securement device on my thigh day and night, as pictured in the third image. This seems to be of no benefit keeping the tubing in place while I sleep. I have to wear absorbent bandages around the opening on my stomach, as it still drains, and the various tapes I've used (the ones that actually stick, anyway) do tend to irritate my skin, but probably not any more so than the urine. I guess it's a matter of opting for the lesser of two evils, so I'll give it a go. Thanks again for your help everyone.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Comment

The nursing center I spent a month at used one of the thigh wraps the first night for my urethral foley. I woke up because it was making that leg go nuts. Then they tried a statlock tape and I had problems like JG. I finally convinced them that if they just left the leg bag on instead of changing to a night bag and used the regular tape during the day and nothing at night. Emptied the bag after 4 or 5 hours when I was turned. No more problems. Is the problem your catheter placement or switching to a nightbag and its tubing?
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
                The nursing center I spent a month at used one of the thigh wraps the first night for my urethral foley. I woke up because it was making that leg go nuts. Then they tried a statlock tape and I had problems like JG. I finally convinced them that if they just left the leg bag on instead of changing to a night bag and used the regular tape during the day and nothing at night. Emptied the bag after 4 or 5 hours when I was turned. No more problems. Is the problem your catheter placement or switching to a nightbag and its tubing?

I had a foley catheter previously, and leaking was an issue from time to time, but nothing like since having the suprapubic placed. I don't switch over to a night bag; I wear the same leg bag continuously until my catheter is changed (every 4 weeks). Clearly the tubing is getting kinked while I'm sleeping, because I don't have this problem during the day. I've never used anything to secure the catheter aside from the device I mentioned before. I guess it's time to give the tape a try.

Comment

i sleep on my side with a pillow b/n my legs, alternating sides every other night. this reduces leg spasms and my sp tube is hooked to a tube that drains over the side into a bucket so i can drink as much water as i want.
                  http://www.dsportsman.com

Comment

Try connecting your supra-pubic cath to a night bag...then have the excess slack tubing laid on the bed next to you in a loop so the urine can flow smoothly.
                    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

Originally posted by KyleP2112 View Post
                      Try connecting your supra-pubic cath to a night bag...then have the excess slack tubing laid on the bed next to you in a loop so the urine can flow smoothly.
                      Thank you, I think this might be the best option. I tried using tape last night, and woke up dry for the first time in ages... thought my problem was solved. After getting up, however, I quickly started leaking, and it appeared that more of my catheter tubing was exposed than what is normal. I pushed it in a bit, changed, and went about my day, only to continue leaking. The catheter had come out, which has never happened since having it placed a year ago. I'm thinking perhaps the tape didn't allow for enough slack, because my legs are so active, although I'm not sure how it managed to do it's job while I slept only to come out upon rising. I will try attaching a night bag and see if that makes any difference. Thanks again.

Comment

Are you putting enough liquid in the balloon? I wouldn't think it would come out so easily? Do you get any dysreflexia with it? I have a suprapubic too, and if mine gets pulled, I instantly start getting dysreflexic.

Comment

"wheelman21" brings up a good point, balloon inflation. This question comes up from time to time. If the catheter package says 5cc balloon, you use 10cc of liquid to fill the balloon.

All the best,
                          GJ

Comment

Originally posted by wheelman21 View Post
                            Are you putting enough liquid in the balloon? I wouldn't think it would come out so easily? Do you get any dysreflexia with it? I have a suprapubic too, and if mine gets pulled, I instantly start getting dysreflexic.

No, I've never had symptoms of dysreflexia. My home healthcare nurse was just here to replace the catheter, and was unable to insert it. She called my urologist, and apparently once a suprapubic catheter comes out, the channel begins to close quite rapidly. She is coming back with a size 12 catheter to tide me over, and if she can't get that in I'll have to go to the ER. I think you're right about the balloon not being inflated enough, as does my nurse. She doesn't think the tape was in any way a factor... just a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                              "wheelman21" brings up a good point, balloon inflation. This question comes up from time to time. If the catheter package says 5cc balloon, you use 10cc of liquid to fill the balloon.

All the best,
                              GJ

My home healthcare nurse has actually brought this up on more than one occasion. We use an 18 FR catheter with a 5cc balloon, and my nurse has said, as you did, that she typically uses 10cc of liquid to fill such a balloon. My urologist, however, has ordered only 4cc, so we comply with that order. It has worked out fine up until this morning, although I will note that my nurse is never able to retrieve the full 4cc when deflating the balloon to change my catheter. She usually gets half that amount, and has no explanation as to why this is. When my catheter came out this morning the balloon was fully deflated. She was able to insert the 12 FR catheter this afternoon, and put the regular 4cc in the balloon. I will call my urologist in the morning to find out the next step, which I assume will be an appointment to enlarge the opening/channel in order to reintroduce a larger catheter. I will speak with her about the possibility of putting more cc's in the balloon as well. The thing that vexes me, though, is that I haven't been leaking during the day, only at night, which leads me to believe that it is more of an issue with the tubing getting kinked than improper balloon inflation, although that might be responsible for it slipping out this morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X