Colostomy surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colostomy surgery

Well after what seems like years of battling bowel problems I'm finally scheduled for colostomy surgery September 18 and I'm extremely nervous!
    Over the last few years I've read numerous post where you all have sung the praises of having colostomy surgery and I know it will be better than crapping my pants once a week, still my anxiety level is sky high.

On a plus side The Dr. and nurse believe I should qualify to have my clean out done at the hospital. I only have Medicare which I'm told usually doesn't cover having that Done however they believe the hospital will do it and not charge me which sure would make things easier.

I go in today for my bag marking the Dr. Wants me to wear it for a week to make sure it's in the proper place.
    One thing I look forward to is maybe being ableing to irrigate instead of wearing a bag that just randomly fills up especially since I use an abdominal support that's mounted to my back rest.

Does anyone use a abdominal support along with having a colostomy bag?
    Well I'm done rambling on just needed to post strangely it helps me with my anxiety. . I hope everyone is having a great day!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Originally posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    Well after what seems like years of battling bowel problems I'm finally scheduled for colostomy surgery September 18 and I'm extremely nervous!
    Over the last few years I've read numerous post where you all have sung the praises of having colostomy surgery and I know it will be better than crapping my pants once a week, still my anxiety level is sky high.

On a plus side The Dr. and nurse believe I should qualify to have my clean out done at the hospital. I only have Medicare which I'm told usually doesn't cover having that Done however they believe the hospital will do it and not charge me which sure would make things easier.

I go in today for my bag marking the Dr. Wants me to wear it for a week to make sure it's in the proper place.
    One thing I look forward to is maybe being ableing to irrigate instead of wearing a bag that just randomly fills up especially since I use an abdominal support that's mounted to my back rest.

Does anyone use a abdominal support along with having a colostomy bag?
    Well I'm done rambling on just needed to post strangely it helps me with my anxiety. . I hope everyone is having a great day!
    Cowboy, Good luck. I'm hoping to do the same here. Waiting to see if I can get the doctor to agree first.

Comment

So happy for you Cowboy! I hope you can irrigate some day too. I think you have to wait a few months to make sure things heal properly. I've been irrigating since December 5th, 2011. I'm so happy about the freedom I get from it that I want to tell everyone! lol. I feel fortunate to have this website and the UOAA forum to talk POO with....Good luck to you! Please let me know if I can help support you through this. I was a nervous wreck before mine also.
      DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

This what i use
        http://nu-hope.com/beltlit.pdf

It is from nuhope and can be ordered from any mediclal supply.
        Darwin wants me dead

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging words! Offroaderswife, I they do just that as in look to you for some advice and support that's a very kind offer. .

I went to see the WOCN today and get marked for ny stoma even though surgery isn't until the 18th.. Well she didn't like the fact that I wear levi's and suggested I try sweats or pants with elastic waistbands. What type of clothing do you all wear are the waistbands loose and do you tuck the bag into it? The practice bag she fitted me with hangs down over my waistband however my shirt covers it completely I just don't know what to do about my abdominal support. .

T6para the belt you use looks interesting if it would work for me one question however once it's on doesn't it have to stay on until you change your bag?

Again everyone thinks

Comment

Cowboy
            I think you are going to love it. And you do not need to be nervous about the surgery or pain afterwords. When I had mine done I was nervous also and really when I woke up I felt like I had taken a great nap and really wondered if they had done the surgery, because remember it is below your injury level, or at least it was for me because I had totally severed my spinal cord at the T3-T4. Really I had to check to see if they had done anything. I had no pain at all it was actually like a mini vacation, I know it is crazy to say that being in a hospital is like a vacation. They put a foley in, I got to stay in bed, food was brought to me (for a few days you have to be on certain foods) and you are not really sick or in pain so it is kind of fun to meet people and nurses. It will make your life much easier, you will get back your mornings and all of the time you waisted doing your program. It will be strange at first but once you get it all figured out, you wont even worry about diarrhea at all. I had it for about a month because of a prescription and I was so thankful that I had done. Once I had a blowout (had the bag come off) and when I was done cleaning up I was happy because it was easy to clean up (In my lap and not under me) so my chair was not full of crap, my bed was not full of crap, and when i was all cleaned up and I started to go again it was ok because it was in the bag and not in my pants again under me.

I went to Alaska (flew on a big plane and on a small plane) and was on a 100 foot sea yacht for 6 days and had no problems and never had to worry about a program or having any accidents.

The pants that I wear are from a company called USA Jeans, and they are jeans that are made for sitting in a wheelchair they have no pockets and all of the seams are folded flat so you have nothing to give you a sore and I think that the jean material is better then the Levi brand. They will even make dress pants for you as well. They will even put pockets on the inside of the legs if you want to carry your stuff. here is the site http://wheelchairjeans.com talk to Darleen and tell her that Steve from Colorado sent you.

Feel free to PM me and we can exchange phone numbers.

Good Luck
            Stevie P

Comment

Thanks everyone for the kind and encouraging words! Offroaderswife, I they do just that as in look to you for some advice and support that's a very kind offer. .

I went to see the WOCN today and get marked for ny stoma even though surgery isn't until the 18th.. Well she didn't like the fact that I wear levi's and suggested I try sweats or pants with elastic waistbands. What type of clothing do you all wear are the waistbands loose and do you tuck the bag into it? The practice bag she fitted me with hangs down over my waistband however my shirt covers it completely I just don't know what to do about my abdominal support. .

T6para the belt you use looks interesting if it would work for me one question however once it's on doesn't it have to stay on until you change your bag?

Again everyone thinks
              No. The opening on the belt goes over the bag, either 1piece or 2 piece. The belts are avalible in many widths.

As for jeans, that is all I wear. My jeans have elastic waistband and my stoma is just low enough that the waistband is above the bag, so the bag sits between underware and jeans. Also works with shorts. I never tuck my shirt in. The jeans are available from my local clothing store.
              Darwin wants me dead

Comment

I wear both pants with zippers and elastic waists. The key is they have to be a bit roomy so that the colostomy bag can fillup without meeting too much resistance. Pants that have those trouser creases near the waist line [so that the pants don't lie flat on your abdomen] or roomy side hip pockets additionally work well.

You need to be able to access the bag easily and quickly if it fills with gas or fills with output unexpectedly.

I keep my bag tucked under my underwear. Shirts are worn either in or out depending on how I feel about my quad belly that particular day.

Comment

Good luck with your surgery! Yall might not have known it but this past week there have been two excellent seminar for SCI professionals.
                  So to give an update- for bowels-
                  Enemeez and enemeez plus(with benzocaine)- minienemas 5 mls of docusate sodium- www.enemeez.com- less mucous, works faster,contact for samples and more information.

Peristeen bowel evacuation system is finally available in US. Looks like nice portable system.

The big guns- "P.I.E"- PROSTHETIC DEVICE. PULSED IRRIGATION EVACUATION BOWEL THERAPY.And also I finally got to see the actually PIE system.
                  Quite a device, not very portable- info can be found at www.NationalColonHealth.com.
                  Also new SCI sex video from Mayo and a book by Mayo Clinic Health solutions "Fitness for Everybody- Your gudie to a life of fitness and health" not SCI specific but had alot of good range of motion exercises and diet etc. information.. pictures of muscles etc... by Diane Dahm and Jay Smith MD. Probably on line or will send you one.
                  CWO
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

StevieP, thanks for the link on the jeans but they are a little above my pay scale so I think if I get my levi's expanded little more than I already have them I should be fine.
                    In regards to deciding what bag you went with how long did it take you to make that decision there's so many options to choose.

Comment

Hey Cowboy! I wore very loose fitting clothes for the first month or two because I was swollen and VERY gassy from the surgery. Now I wear whatever I want. I still wear a bag even though I irrigate (just for "insurance"). I tuck the bag in to my underware and it's not a bit noticable through my clothes. I do not wear an abdominal binder but I do wear different cover ups around my stomach during those "special married people moments". It doesn't hinder anything at all. I wore a bikini all summer (high cut bottoms) and was able to conceal it really well while swimming or sun bathing. My stoma is about 2 inches to the left of my bell button and 1 inch below. My belt line usually comes above my stoma and it's never a problem.

Comment

Offroaderswife, I look forward to possibly irrigating if it doesn't take too long. How long does the irrigation process take you and how long can you go in between?

Even though I am nervous I so look forward to getting this done I can't go two days anymore without having a bowel accident I wish I knew YYYYY!!

I will do my best to keep everyone up to date in the meantime again thanks for the support and encouraging words.

Comment

The first month or so it would take me a full hour to irrigate. Now it only takes me about 40 minutes (start to finish). I take a shower with the sleeve on and get my hair and make up done with the sleeve on as well. Once I'm fully ready (about 1 hour 15 minutes) if I'm really dressing up, then I will take the sleeve off right before I put my clothes on and put my bag back on for insurance and peace of mind. My bowels are done emptying within the 40 minutes 98% of the time but if I've been eating bad then it might take the full hour. The healtier I eat the quicker my irrigation goes.

It took me a while to figure out what water temperature my body liked the best and how much to infuse at a time. It takes me about 8-10 minutes to infuse 1500cc's of water and then I wait about 5 minutes for returns and then infuse another 500cc's of water. That ratio has worked perfect for me considering my diet.

I can go 48-72 hours without irrigating, depending on what I eat. I usually don't wait that long just because I like to irrigate and feel cleansed. It's nice having the option to go a few days in case I'm feeling lazy or busy though. I'm going to be traveling across 4 states on a motorcycle trip with my husband at the end of this month. We'll be camping out half of the 7 days so I'm preparing myself for not being able to irrigate in some of the state parks.

I hope that you get to experience the freedom of irrigation. You'll have to talk to your surgeon about it and make sure you are a candidate. I waited about 11 months after my ostomy before I started irrigating. My only regret is not starting sooner!

Don't let the first few months of trial and error with equipment and processes frustrate you. There is a learning curve and we are all here for you as you go through this experience.

Comment

Scared

I have horrible time w/ bowel program. My Doc has suggested a colostomy and only 46 it scares me. I worry about a blowout or anything that comes with it. Does the tape hurt, or the bag?
                            Feelin good is good enough!

Comment

StevieP, thanks for the link on the jeans but they are a little above my pay scale so I think if I get my levi's expanded little more than I already have them I should be fine.
                              In regards to deciding what bag you went with how long did it take you to make that decision there's so many options to choose.
                              If you have a good Ostomy Nurse they can help or just get on line and see what is the newest and call all the companies and have them send you samples, they all want business, your business, but they can not send you anything unless you have a the size of your stoma. They will help you and a lot of them are users as well. I use the Hollister (company) New Image 2 piece with an extra ring that helps with my stomach being larger and soft. Do you have Skype by any chance then I could show you what I use and how I stop if from leaking or and coming off. It took me sometime to decide what I wanted and what worked for me. Also I get them from my Urology supply company so it makes it easier for me to them since I only have to deal with one company. They also get me my irrigation supplies as well.

Call her about the jeans she will sometimes work with what you can afford (I am not making any promises)

Check on the Skype thing and at least call me if you need help.

Stevie P

Comment

Working...
                              X