How's your cholesterol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's your cholesterol

Just wondering if high cholesterol is another one of those SCI problem child? Mine has gone from always being low, to just a little to high. I'm lucky enough to get some exercise (hand cycle) but of course nothing like before SCI. I eat almost no fat, having a paralyzed stomach for 12 years not related to SCI, so what gives. How's everybody else doing with there cholesterol levels?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

excellent! at 150 and it's gone down from 190
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

fantastic. lowwwwwwww. dont know exact number. i get check up every 6 mths. blood work due to testosterone supplementing... im 40.
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Mine is good, also. I think it was 170 something last time I had blood work done.
        Incomplete T-12/L-1

Comment

ridiculous high. statins only lowered it a small amount. It got higher when I developed the postural orthostatic tachycardia, because can't exercise.

Comment

Cholesterol 156 mg/dl
            triglycerides 98 mg/dl
            hdl cholesterol 65 mg/dl
            ldl cholesterol71 mg/dl
            chol/hdl chol ratio 2.4
            ldl/hdl ratio1.1

No meds.

FYI 35% of all heart attacks occur in those with total cholesterol levels between 150 - 200.
            stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

wow, just what I need.
              mine is well over 200.

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
                wow, just what I need.
                mine is well over 200.
                http://engine2diet.com/resources-and...heart-disease/

Check out this movie: Forks Over Knives
                stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

the size and shape of your lipids are really a good marker for your risk of heart attack as well as stress proteins
                  "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
                  http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

this is a good movie. Iv made efforts to eat mostly grown foods since about 1979 However except for when I was in a childrens home, or foster care, we lived on government surplus commodities. Reservation food. I was most healthy when I lived on a farm just like the ones in the movie. We made goat cheese though, and our milk cow was grass fed, and not corn fed. our milk was not heavily pasteurized.

My younger sister also grows her own food, is thinner than my 140-150 (depends if I can eat, no hunger) and has almost the same cholesterol level as I, over 200.

My Other sister is over 300 pounds, eats a diabetic diet,and has a low cholesterol level.

so I don't know, I seem to be making my own as is my younger sister.

Comment

Cholesterol 164 mg/dl
                      triglycerides 40 mg/dl
                      hdl cholesterol 51 mg/dl
                      ldl cholesterol 105 mg/dl
                      chol/hdl chol ratio 3.2
                      ldl/hdl ratio 2.1

Age 51, 160 lbs, no meds.
                      My ldl is out of range (<100)
                      1977 - C5 ambulating Quad

Comment

I'm on a statin with only marginal improvement. My diet is reasonably healthy, but is about to become even healthier. My proteins are typically chicken, turkey or fish. Beef is eaten only if I am at someone's house and it is served.

I'm losing weight and that feels good. To bump my diet into the even healthier zone I'm going to use more lentils and brown rice for protein, keep the fish and up intake slightly (salmon), ditch more of the chicken and turkey.

Getting older is not for wienies.

Comment

Jody, some people have what I call the F-U gene. Their liver produces cholesterol. Native Americans have the Alcoholic F-U gene; they lack the enzyme that enables Europeans to metabolize alcohol w/ glorious abandon. (Hence that whole "Firewater" thing.)

Useless info, as I don't know what can be done about the F-U gene. Going vegan and living on nothing but sprouts and sand might help...

Wise might know. He told me my Cherokee 1/8 is DNA identical to his Asian self...thereby eliminating my excuse for being hotheaded LOL. It's all on the Irish now!
                          Blog:
                          Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Cholesterol 208mg/dl Desireable <200. (highest it's ever been)
                            triglycerides 103 mg/dl (Range 40-150)
                            hdl cholesterol 42 mg/dl (Range 35-100)
                            ldl cholesterol 145 mg/dl (Desireable <130)
                            chol/hdl chol ratio 5.0. (Normal Risk Ratio: 5.0 or Less)

Age 59, 180 lbs, no meds

Comment

pre accident (less then year ago) i always had wonderful cholesterol and BP but a couple weeks ago at a health fair i was amazed to find out i was in their words "on the low end of above normal" and BP was 203/101 (but it was a bad pain day) i thought i have been eating better/less since i rarely have an appetite like i used too...

Comment

Working...
                              X