No announcement yet.

How common is Dysreflexia ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does he cath himself? when he gets those feelings..time to empty the bladder.I have a foley cath.in.I can flush alot of "things" out.There are a few options then inter.cath.
    Nelson.
    C-6,complete

Comment

I have very bad AD it affects my bowels / bladder The spasms are horrible

Comment

Hello GL, i just read where you get spasms with AD and they are horribal. i had nerve pain but the bowel spasms are so horribal i cant sit i cant lay down i am crazy with pain. i only get them every so often now , i get them when i am nervous over something. i am a para walking with a walker so i never thought mine were caused from a d. Marge

Comment

I most commonly get AD from bowel or bladder, but also have to watch in the summer time with getting overheated when outside.

The worst time was surgery.......no one ever knew what I was talking about until I started carrying the cards from the Reeve Foundation. Now all I have to do is give them a card and they finally pay attention. I was scheduled for a surgery in the doctor's clinic for my hand until they saw my AD card. They immediately switched me to surgery in the hospital next door. They attatched my AD card to the top of my file for all to see and refer to. I ended up in ICU after my last back surgery and they were fighting my BP the whole time. They had misplaced the paper work I had given them and no one had a clue I had AD. That will not happen again with my AD cards.

Thank you Cheesecake and the Reeve Foundation!

Comment

Originally posted by TM from PA View Post
            Hello GL, i just read where you get spasms with AD and they are horribal. i had nerve pain but the bowel spasms are so horribal i cant sit i cant lay down i am crazy with pain. i only get them every so often now , i get them when i am nervous over something. i am a para walking with a walker so i never thought mine were caused from a d. Marge
            You might want to talk to your physiatrist and a GI doc about morphine suppositories afterwards IF you are already using KY or another lube with benzocaine or lidicaine in it. You want to prevent AD not have to treat it once it arrives.
            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Hello Sue, Hope you are haveing a nice labor day........ I been seeing a c rectal dr for around 6 month he dont know much about T M or S C I but he sent me for all kinds of tests cause i thought i just had bad constipation. then he talked to some doctors on my condition and when i went in a couple of months ago he proscribed a nitro compound for me and it worked. i use a qtip put this compound on and relaxes my bowel what a differance. i got my bowel back now. but if i get nervous over something it comes back like if driving in traffic in rain or something

Comment

Thankyou so much Sue your knowlege is appricated. i would of never thought of morphine sup. if this compound stops working for me i will let him know. i figured there had to be something because when i didnt have feeling there i did not know until i got feeling back it was horribal someone else had to had the same problem.

Comment

Hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone every heard of peritoneocele. i got these real bad spasms and the worst pain i ever had in my rectum, i was following posts on ad cause sometimes pain unbearable. this is my 2nd colon rectal dr. and said it could be caused by peritoneocele, i can go along a month with bowels working no suposotorys just 1\4 mirilax every other day and then it happens pure hell. i have valium on hand. thankyou

Comment

I am not sure what your question is. Sorry.
                    CKF
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hello CKF, my question is did anyone here of perineocele. thats what tests show i have that causes me the worst pain ever in my rectum, to the point of allmost passing out. thats why i thought it could cause AD. i go along bowels fine thought they were comming back from my TM. then a couple of weeks or even as longas a month. it happens feels like stool is stuck and the pain. dr wants me to go to pelvic floor therapy. please is there anything i can do. thnkyou

Comment

With spinal cord injuries autonomic dysreflexia is just one of the issues that have to be "managed" & dealt with.

As long as my bladder isn't full & can drain & things are okay with the bowels, i.e., I've been sticking to my general bowel program, then autonomic dysreflexia might cause temporary flushing, 'hot' feeling & discomfort (from elevated blood pressure) but doesn't become really serious. Actually...knock on wood, I haven't had to go to the ER or take nitrate b/c of autonomic dysreflexia.

Good luck to you & your husband.
                        C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

OK- here goes. I am not sure of your level of injury, so if your injury is above T6 (the cervical region or upper throacic region) of your spinal cord, you are prone to having dysreflexia. A perinocele could cause AD although I have not personally had any patients have this problem.

I would recommend exactly what your doc did - try the pelvic exercises. The other alaternative is surgery, which is rather major.

I am sure this is painful for you. You may ask your doctor if instillig a small amount of lidocaine jelly into the rectum might be helpful. It would not only relieve the pain but also help to prevent AD.

CKF
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thankyou CKF, i am at T11 so i could be safe from AD. The pain like i said is bad, this is my 2nd colon rectal dr. iam glad he ordered tests to find it. the first dr thought i had fisures. i will ask about lidocaine hopefully ican get something when i get another attack. my therapy starts in june. and if it dont work surgery, he said and this lehigh vally hospital a pretty big hospital in pa. dont know who does this surgery o boy.

Comment

Lehigh Valley is a pretty good place. I have been impressed with the care there.
                              Keep us posted and good luck!
                              CKF

Comment

I wasn't suggesting the morphine suppositories for AD or bowel programs. I understood your pain was related to TM and first heard about morphine suppositories in kids who had severe rectal pain after spinal taps. These kids had leukemia and children often get rectal pain rather than huge head aches after lumbar punctures.
                                Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                                X