Can't cath and losing it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lyerly View Post
    Ha yea I feel ya on yelling at god and throwing stuff I never curse but after a few today yelled F this and threw catherter
    Presumably you are back from the ER by now. What did the doctors there have to say about what is going on with your inability to get a catheter to pass through the urethra?

All the best,
    GJ

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
      Presumably you are back from the ER by now. What did the doctors there have to say about what is going on with your inability to get a catheter to pass through the urethra?

All the best,
      GJ
      As I kind of expected that put a ballon cath in me and I have an awesome leg bag on and they say I need to go see the Uro ASAP to find out what's going on. Hope I can make that happen Monday. Thanks for asking. Hope it's as simple as changing catheters. I am supposed to be going out of state thursday. I will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuff View Post
        I can't use the red rubber ones at all, way too soft, they fold over trying to get thru my tight sphincter.

You should keep some hydrophyllic cath sets around, they are way slipperier than normal lube set. I use straight cath and lube at home, but when out and about I use this enclosed cath set:
        ( I don't use Allegro, just had a good picture)
        http://www.athomemedical.com/Intermi...h-Set-Male.asp

I have had "lock up" issues before at home, and I would use the SureCaths and they work every time.
        Originally posted by Donno View Post
        I have had similar problems, and switched to coude tips - really helps. Getting frustrated/scared makes it worse...
        hydrophylic coude is what I use. Way better than rubber ones and better than just plastic/hard coude ones with regular lube.

Comment

Let us know what is going on.
          CKF
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Human View Post
            hydrophylic coude is what I use. Way better than rubber ones and better than just plastic/hard coude ones with regular lube.
            So we are just going to take it out and I am going to go back to cathing and only going to have to go back to Uro or ER if it happens again. They expect me to be ok since the foley that was put on me at ER went in pretty easily.

I am going to to get a few of the harder and diff tipped ones to try as well.

Comment

Personally I can't use the hard plastic ones, they are not flexible enough to make all the turns. They get hung up and end up tearing my urethra and Iend up with lots of bleeding.

Comment

Everyone has different issues. It's important to try different products to see what works for you.
                ZCKF
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyerly View Post
                  So we are just going to take it out and I am going to go back to cathing and only going to have to go back to Uro or ER if it happens again. They expect me to be ok since the foley that was put on me at ER went in pretty easily.

I am going to to get a few of the harder and diff tipped ones to try as well.
                  I found using a lot of lubricant - about 15 grams (three packets) worth was helpful.

Comment

I often have trouble these days but have found that changing positions works every time.
                    Most of the time the trouble comes when I'm sitting in the chair.
                    When at home I transfer to my mat table and when laying or reclined on my side it always goes in easily.
                    In my adjustable bed I've found that raising both feet and head will create a position where a cath will slip right in.
                    It's surprising how subtle of a positionchange it takes.
                    Sometimes all it takes is to pull up on my quad gut.
                    Other times whilst in bed it helps to roll over to one side or the other.

Hydrophilic coated caths are slicker than lubed ones and that helps.

When all else fails, a drop or two of soap added to the water in the hydrophlic cath package really slickens things up and helps a lot.

I've also had success bending the tip of the cath (while it's in the package) to emulate a coude tip. I save this technique for situations when I just can't transfer out of the chair to change positions.

It was tough not to panic when this first started happening and I ended up in the ER once too, because of it.

Good luck
                    Jeff
                    Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                      I often have trouble these days but have found that changing positions works every time.
                      Most of the time the trouble comes when I'm sitting in the chair.
                      When at home I transfer to my mat table and when laying or reclined on my side it always goes in easily.
                      In my adjustable bed I've found that raising both feet and head will create a position where a cath will slip right in.
                      It's surprising how subtle of a positionchange it takes.
                      Sometimes all it takes is to pull up on my quad gut.
                      Other times whilst in bed it helps to roll over to one side or the other.

Hydrophilic coated caths are slicker than lubed ones and that helps.

When all else fails, a drop or two of soap added to the water in the hydrophlic cath package really slickens things up and helps a lot.

I've also had success bending the tip of the cath (while it's in the package) to emulate a coude tip. I save this technique for situations when I just can't transfer out of the chair to change positions.

It was tough not to panic when this first started happening and I ended up in the ER once too, because of it.

Good luck
                      Jeff
                      Whether using a pre-made coude or olive tip catheter or one that you fashion yourself, just make sure that the tip is oriented correctly. Pre-made coude and olive tip catheters have either an orientation line the length of the catheter or a bump on the funnel of the catheter that needs to always stay on top as the catheter is being inserted. Improper insertion of the coude or olive tip catheters can cause urethral damage.

All the best,
                      GJ

Comment

Go with the Silicone, Surgelube. To relax the muscles, inhale and exhale seems to work for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X