Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stool Softeners / Laxatives?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Stool Softeners / Laxatives?

    Okay I got some samples of the Enemeez & tried it with syringe. Nothing happened. Digitally stemmed & she said no bowel as far up as she could feel. It had been 2 days since my bowels moved. Tried 2nd one nothing happened. Digitally stemmed and she said still nothing she could feel. So I just waited till today 3 days & used MB.
    It's normal for her not to feel anything the 1st stem. Insert 1/3 MB.Wait 15 minutes. Stem again & she can feel it move some & can feel bm tip of her finger. Wait 10 minutes & I start going. But I go real slow 3-4 times. Mostly stemming each time. Sometimes pulling it out. Lasts 1-2 hrs sometimes.
    So I talked to Julie at the Enemeez Lab & told her it was always real high & hard at the start of my bm program. I also told her others had said it didn't work on hard stool.
    She said regardless of using MB or Enemeez I probably should take something to soften my stool so it would move on down.
    So that's where I an now. I'm going to start taking a stool softener to make my bm softer or stool softner/stimulate combination laxative. Then try Enemeez again.

    Which stool softener would you suggest I start taking? All I take now is the vitamin magnesium.

    Thanks!
    sigpic

    #2
    Keep in mind that stool "softerners" do not actually soften stool. They keep stool from getting too hard. There is a difference. If you want to "soften" stool that is already hard, you will need to use some type of osmotic laxative, which pulls water into the gut. Examples are milk of magnesia, Miralax, magnesium citrate, and Lactulose.

    Stools softeners need to be used preventively, not after the fact (after the stool is already hard). They work by keeping your body from absorbing as much water from the stool, therefore keeping it soft. The most available, and effective, is DSS (brand name Colace). You can take up to 1000 mg. daily of Colace, and like some other softerners (such as Surfax) it will not interfere with absorbtion of your other medications.

    Bulk or fiber products (Metamucil or psyllium, wheat bran, flax seed powder, etc.) help keep stool soft by increasing the rate of peristalsis, which decreases the chance for your stool to get dried out since it moves more quickly through the gut. They must be taken with plenty of water.

    Stimulants (senna, cascera, prunes, etc.) can help keep stool soft because they increase peristalsis of the entire gut, so that stool moves through faster and your body does not have as much time to absorb the water, but routine use can have some ill effects, so should be used only if the measures above are ineffective.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

    Comment


      #3
      Magnesium citrate or milk always does the trick for me.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks KLD for explaining it so well to me. I want to keep it soft not change the hard already in there. So I'll try Colace DSS. I read that fiber could keep you from absorbing your nutrients. So I'm assuming stimulants would too?

        Again thanks!!! Mona
        sigpic

        Comment


          #5
          Mona, don't bother buying the Colace brand. When you get to the store, look nearby and pick up the store brand, it is *exactly* the same stuff. Most will say stool softener and/or docusate sodium.
          Don - Grad Student Emeritus
          T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Donno View Post
            Mona, don't bother buying the Colace brand. When you get to the store, look nearby and pick up the store brand, it is *exactly* the same stuff. Most will say stool softener and/or docusate sodium.

            Thanks Don! Good idea.
            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              I always get the stool softener from Costco, it's cheap. Also, my son just recently stopped taking the senna tablets. The combination of the softener and senna kept things going for a long time. His diet is very good and was able to give up the senna. Don't give up on the Enemeez. Once you get things softer and take the senna, it should be better for you!

              Comment


                #8
                The link shows magnesium citrate in capsule form. Get at the vitamin shoppe. My C-6 son takes two per day, one iwith breakfast and the other with dinner. You will know if you are taking in too much magnesium if your stool is way too soft or even runny. Then, back off by one capsule per day. http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=AR-1066

                BTW, because of your age, if you are taking magnesium citrate in tablet form, you may not be getting the absorption because your stomach does not produce enough stomach acid to dissolve the tablet. So, get the capsule form.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by 6 Shooter View Post
                  The link shows magnesium citrate in capsule form. Get at the vitamin shoppe. My C-6 son takes two per day, one iwith breakfast and the other with dinner. You will know if you are taking in too much magnesium if your stool is way too soft or even runny. Then, back off by one capsule per day. http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=AR-1066

                  BTW, because of your age, if you are taking magnesium citrate in tablet form, you may not be getting the absorption because your stomach does not produce enough stomach acid to dissolve the tablet. So, get the capsule form.

                  Thanks, but I know I'm absorbing some I've had loose stools from taking too much. I buy my vitamins at Vitacost. I will try the ones you showed me but you can get them att Vitacost ALOT cheaper. At your site they're $10.79 & at Vitacost same amount same strength same brand they're $6.56 almost half price. But thanks for showing me capsules! Btw it's not nice to talk about a ladies' age! ha!
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mombo View Post
                    I always get the stool softener from Costco, it's cheap. Also, my son just recently stopped taking the senna tablets. The combination of the softener and senna kept things going for a long time. His diet is very good and was able to give up the senna. Don't give up on the Enemeez. Once you get things softer and take the senna, it should be better for you!
                    Thanks! I wouldn't take Senna or any type like it. I think it messes your system up. I can"t go to Costco but I'll find them cheap somewhere. Now I find out my Medicaid won't pay for Enemeez. Julia said they have a hardship program I can apply to & get them half price. But I don't even want to pay half price $48. I can get a month's worth of Magic Bullets for $5. So I'm not sure what I'll do.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Has anyone used the herb Cascara Sagrada, or sacred bark? Are any other herb that worked good instead of colace?

                      Are there any herbs that soften stool that you can use indefinately?
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Cascara is a stimulant, not a stool softener (see my post above). Virtually all herbs used for constipation are stimulants.

                        (KLD)
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
                          Thanks, but I know I'm absorbing some I've had loose stools from taking too much. I buy my vitamins at Vitacost. I will try the ones you showed me but you can get them att Vitacost ALOT cheaper. At your site they're $10.79 & at Vitacost same amount same strength same brand they're $6.56 almost half price. But thanks for showing me capsules! Btw it's not nice to talk about a ladies' age! ha!
                          Useful information --
                          http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/...eory-of-aging/

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Cascara was used in hospitals back in the 1950s when I was injured. They made it into a vicious laxative with a licorice flavor. They should have put a skull and crossbones on it. Surviving a dose of that was as much of a challenge as my SCI.
                            You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                            http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

                            See my personal webpage @
                            http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by 6 Shooter View Post

                              I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say as people age their digestive system doesn't. I was saying it's NOT NICE to tell ladies they're aging, older.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X