Stool Softeners / Laxatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Cascara is a stimulant, not a stool softener (see my post above). Virtually all herbs used for constipation are stimulants.

(KLD)
    How about Aloe Vera? Thanks KLD!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
      Cascara was used in hospitals back in the 1950s when I was injured. They made it into a vicious laxative with a licorice flavor. They should have put a skull and crossbones on it. Surviving a dose of that was as much of a challenge as my SCI.
      Oh my sounds horrible. Luckily it's in pill form now.
      sigpic

Comment

Magic bullets $5

Where do you buy Magic Bullets for $5? I think I'm spending $60.00 for a 3-month supply.

Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
        Thanks! I wouldn't take Senna or any type like it. I think it messes your system up. I can"t go to Costco but I'll find them cheap somewhere. Now I find out my Medicaid won't pay for Enemeez. Julia said they have a hardship program I can apply to & get them half price. But I don't even want to pay half price $48. I can get a month's worth of Magic Bullets for $5. So I'm not sure what I'll do.

Comment

I'm concerned about 'accidents' or stomach discomfort from taking stool softeners. How much Colace should I start with?

i have tried fiber products like flax seed, acacia and Fiber One tablets. All have made my belly swell up and increase my need to have BMs.

I'm experimenting with Activia yogurt right now. I've never found anything quite like it for having a good BM. However, the quantity of stool that comes out is mind boggling. I can't figure out how or where it could all come from. i think it stretches out my intestines causing me to have autonomic dysreflexia. I only eat one container now, late at night before my morning suppository.

I want to stay on an every other day routine because it takes so much time and effort. If I don't eat a lot of fiber, I quickly back up. If Colace could be the answer, my life could be easier.

Stools softeners need to be used preventively, not after the fact (after the stool is already hard). They work by keeping your body from absorbing as much water from the stool, therefore keeping it soft. The most available, and effective, is DSS (brand name Colace). You can take up to 1000 mg. daily of Colace, and like some other softerners (such as Surfax) it will not interfere with absorbtion of your other medications.

Bulk or fiber products (Metamucil or psyllium, wheat bran, flax seed powder, etc.) help keep stool soft by increasing the rate of peristalsis, which decreases the chance for your stool to get dried out since it moves more quickly through the gut. They must be taken with plenty of water.

Stimulants (senna, cascera, prunes, etc.) can help keep stool soft because they increase peristalsis of the entire gut, so that stool moves through faster and your body does not have as much time to absorb the water, but routine use can have some ill effects, so should be used only if the measures above are ineffective.

(KLD)

Comment

Softeners like Colace are unlikely to cause accidents (unlike laxatives and stimulants) because they do not increase peristalsis.

If you take too much, and the stool is way too soft, then accidents are possible, esp. if you have a LMN (lower motor neuron or flaccid anal sphincter). Softeners should not be taken "as needed" but routinely (unlike stimulants and laxatives). If you wait until your stool is hard before taking them, it will be just that much longer before you get a good consistency stool.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Colace

Thank you for your response. What dosage would you recommend to get started?

Softeners like Colace are unlikely to cause accidents (unlike laxatives and stimulants) because they do not increase peristalsis.

If you take too much, and the stool is way too soft, then accidents are possible, esp. if you have a LMN (lower motor neuron or flaccid anal sphincter). Softeners should not be taken "as needed" but routinely (unlike stimulants and laxatives). If you wait until your stool is hard before taking them, it will be just that much longer before you get a good consistency stool.

(KLD)

Comment

Using the 250 mg. dose capsules, start with 2 daily. If your stool is too soft after 3 days, cut back to one. If still too hard, increase to 3 daily. You can go up to 1000 mg. daily (4 capsules).

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Read this for Colace active ingredients.
                  http://www.pharmapacks.com/products....es-30-Capsules#

By the way, propylene glycol is anti-freeze.
                  Last edited by 6 Shooter; 21 May 2012, 9:56 AM.

Comment

KLD... why taking senna will be harmful down the road? i have been taking the pill since my injury in '08. I take one pill every night and a stool softner... I do my BM every other day.

Comment

Senna is a laxative, which increases peristalsis. It becomes "addicting" to your intestine - ie., your intestine needs it to function. Most people do not stay on senna for the long term, but I do know a few who have been on it because that is the only way they feel their program works.
                      CKF

Comment

I'd like to know about the 5.00$ a month for the magic bullet as well.
                        Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

Broken Doll & Liz I get the 10 pack at Express Medical for $6.95. I only use 1/4 to 1/3 per bowel program. I have my bowel program every other day. It was just a figure I threw out there but it actually cost me less. $6.95 (pkg. of 10) divided by 10 in a pkg = .695 per mb. .695 per bullet divided by 4 (using 1/4) = .174 for each bowel program x 15 days per month (bowel program every other day) = $2.61 cost per month if I use a 1/3 it would be a few pennies more but still under $5.00.

https://www.exmed.net

Thanks for asking how much colace to take. Thanks KLD for explaining.

I still would like to know about Aloe Vera. The internet says it safe. Is it okay?

6 shooter that's why I'd like to do herbal if it's safe.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks KLD... for that info. I was never told that...I'm going to take the senna everyother day, to see if there is a difference in my BM.

Comment

I consume 15ml Lactulose every night before sleeping. That should be stool softener. Before i consumed liquid paraffin

Comment

Originally posted by Dirly Idol View Post
                                Before i consumed liquid paraffin
                                Didn't that keep your candle burning all night long??

Comment

Working...
                                X