Having surgery on Friday....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having surgery on Friday....

The day is almost upon me. I am having yet more surgery to hopefully fix some of this pain that I am in from the implantation of the mesh for a hernia. You'd think I wouldn't be worried but a 3.5-4 hour surgery is a little frightening to me. Plus since the surgeon doesn't know all that has been effected, he doen't really know what he is going to encounter when he gets in there. This also freaks me out! In a little over 36 hours I will be in pre-op .... YIKES!!!

Becky
    Last edited by bcsimpsons; 4 Apr 2012, 5:20 PM. Reason: I can't spell :)
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

We will just hope it fixes everything this time
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Getting that mesh out and clearing away adhesions will be a good thing - scary as surgery is to face, after all you've been through. I hope that it won't be long before you're feeling much, much better as a result. We will all be pulling for you!
      MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Sending prayers!!!

Comment

Being anxious about surgery, no matter what's being done or how long it's expected to take, is completely normal, Becks. I get the jitters before every surgery, no matter how ''typical'' things are expected to be, so don't be embarrassed about being a little worried.

The lovely Bonnette has, as she usually does, nailed it. Based on everything you've shared, the surgeon you're working with is both very knowledgeable and a straight shooter, and in my experience, those are the ones that you can trust to make good decisions when they encounter anything unexpected. When you see him before the surgery, calmly and honestly share your concerns with him and have him review with you his plans for managing your pain post-op. Making sure you and he are on the same page before the procedure -- and especially re pain control after the surgery -- can go a long way toward calming your nerves beforehand.

Your CC family will all have you in our thoughts and prayers on Friday. Based on experience alone, we have a damn fine track record when it comes to helping one of our own make it through a surgery in really good shape! Between that, my confidence in your ability to triumph no matter what, and it being Good Friday, I feel strongly that you'll do very, very well during and especially after the surgery.
          It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

Best wishes, Becky. I hope all goes well - you've had way more than your share of problems. I'll be thinking of you.
            - Richard

Comment

Hi Becky,
              Thinking of you.

EGBOK (Every Things Gonna Be OK)

All the best,
              GJ

Comment

I'll be thinking about you on Friday Becky. It is normal to feel nervous, especially after everything you have been through.
                I agree with GJ, it's gonna be OK.

Comment

Hoping it all passes without a hitch! You're due for some good lucky soon!

I think the area would be tender for a bit afterwards but hopefully the pain you're in will subside! Will be thinking about you!
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Good luck Becky!
                    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

Originally posted by bcsimpsons View Post
                      The day is almost upon me. I am having yet more surgery to hopefully fix some of this pain that I am in from the implantation of the mesh for a hernia. You'd think I wouldn't be worried but a 3.5-4 hour surgery is a little frightening to me. Plus since the surgeon doesn't know all that has been effected, he doen't really know what he is going to encounter when he gets in there. This also freaks me out! In a little over 36 hours I will be in pre-op .... YIKES!!!

Becky
                      This time next week it will be over,and I hope you are much better!

Comment

Thanks to every last one of my CC family! I dont know what I would do without your encouragment and support through everything. I will post an update when I am able....probably at least not till Monday. I am going to be spending at least 5 days in the hospital after the surgery due to my complex medical history etc...

Thanks again from the bottom of my heart for everything these past many years. I would not be here if it hadnt been for all of you!!

Becky
                        T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
                        since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Comment

Just thinking about you, Becky...I know you're pretty banged up right now, and hope your pain and surgical wounds will heal quickly.
                          MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

surgery on Friday

Dear bcsimpsons
                            I echo the responses of other CC members. Best wishes for smooth recovery following your surgery.
                            pbr
                            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
                              X