No announcement yet.

Lumbar Puncture Headache

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Lumbar Puncture Headache


    I had a lumbar puncture on 16 March and a Myeleogram carried out to see if I have AVM;s,. Great, I dont!

    However, my headache developed about 24 hrs after puncture and got sufficiently severe make me go into the A&E for assessment. THey monitored me for 24 hrs and felt it was a pressure induced headache, bloods, all ok. They did not want to do a blood patch if not necessary.

    Its now 5 days and 6 hrs since the procedure and I cannot sit up or stand except for a few minutes due to a 6 out of 10 headache which is not subsiding very quickly at all.

    I dont want to do the blood patch either for fear of more complications and I wonder if I am right to accept a solution involving waiting and lying down.

    I also wonder if when it does get to a manageable level, is it safe to fly or as a passenger, should I hold off by another week say after the headache diminishes?

    IF anyone had any brilliant ideas or experience of this, it would be much appreciated.

    Many Thanks.

    Oconnor, I developed a spinal headache three days after my lumbar puncture. I went to the Emergency Room, where they administered intravenous caffeine no effect. The only thing that made my headache better was time and lying down, as a prone position tends to balance the fluid pressures between the brain and spinal canal. NSAIDS did nothing for the pain. It was two weeks before the headache went away for good.

    If you do not have a fever and your blood tests are normal, maybe the best thing you can do is wait it out - hard as that is! The anesthesiologist I saw in the Emergency Room did not want to do a blood patch unless the headache was unbearable and simply would not go away, since a blood patch procedure carries the risk of making things worse.

    My headache got better very slowly, a little bit at a time, over a couple of weeks. It can take that long for the fluids to replenish themselves. If you are no better by the end of March, go back to the doctor and see what can be done - and definitely see the doctor immediately, if you get worse or begin to have a fever.

    Best wishes with this, a spinal headache is one of the worst you'll ever have - but chances are it will getter on its own, with time. And lying down helps a lot, though that is not always possible.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions


      And I thought three days was bad. I'd make sure to get the return to the doc and any tests on your records. If you need another in the future they might take less fluid.
      You should check with your doctor before flying.
      Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

      Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.



        Dear Sue, Bonneville and Smashms

        Just I wanted to say thanks for your advice.