Compression Socks and pressure marks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression Socks and pressure marks?

My physiatrist recently reccomended that I try wearing compression socks (http://www.sigvarisusa.com/prod_web/...A!opendocument) to alleviate moderate swelling and maybe some pain. I wore them all day on Sunday (in retrospect I should have tried them for an hour or so first) and my feet felt great, way less pain. However when I removed them there was a pressure line across the top of my foot, right where it joins my ankle/leg....it took a couple hours to start fading but was gone by morning.

Could this cause a pressure sore? Is there any way to prevent it? As the socks are so comfortable.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Did your physiatrist actually take measurements to fit you with compression stockings? When I looked at the picture of the stockings you are wearing, I noticed that the sizing for this particular stocking is related to the size of your shoes. I think a better way to select a suitable size of medical compression stockings is based on the measuring several circumferences points on the leg and several lengths on the leg and foot. Depending on the style of compression stocking that is suitable for you, these measurements are taken:
    ***at the thigh (if wearing above the knee styles)
    ***thigh length to knee crease (if wearing above the knee styles)
    ***below the knee at the knee crease (if wearing above the knee or below the knee styles)
    ***around the fullest part of the calf (if wearing above the knee and below the knee styles)
    ***at the ankle crease (if wearing above the knee and below the knee styles)
    ***knee crease to heel (if wearing above the knee and below the knee styles)
    ***length of foot

Deciding on the proper compression is an essential part of fitting compression stockings. I would suggest that you ask your physiatrist for a referral to an orthotist who can help you determine the best stocking, size, and compression for the edema you are experiencing. Compression stockings are really only effective if they suite your individual needs and are carefully fitted and selected to avoid the problems you are experiencing.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 13 Mar 2012, 3:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emi2 View Post
      My physiatrist recently reccomended that I try wearing compression socks (http://www.sigvarisusa.com/prod_web/...A!opendocument) to alleviate moderate swelling and maybe some pain. I wore them all day on Sunday (in retrospect I should have tried them for an hour or so first) and my feet felt great, way less pain. However when I removed them there was a pressure line across the top of my foot, right where it joins my ankle/leg....it took a couple hours to start fading but was gone by morning.

Could this cause a pressure sore? Is there any way to prevent it? As the socks are so comfortable.

mine do that some too but so far no sore i think its normal plus as they get older itll be less
      to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

Mine used to do that when I wore them. I would check occasionally and pull out the crease. If not, they would fade out as you described and it never caused me a problem at all.

I hope this helps.
        Millard
        ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

I have seen pressure ulcers develop from wrinkles in compression socks. Be sure you have been evaluated for the correct size. You may need custom made stockings to avoid this problem. Jobst and SigVaris both make custom, and have a specially trained staff person (usually a nurse) who does the measurements for these.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you, they were very helpful so I am going to see about getting a custom pair made.
            Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Originally posted by Emi2 View Post
              Thank you, they were very helpful so I am going to see about getting a custom pair made.

mine are custom madethey measure for them and last about a year your not suposed to wash in laundry so i just wash mine at might in shower

if i dont wear them i swell reall bad and my legs tighten up
              to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

Do you have foot drop Emi? I think that can contribute to the problem with stockings, even sitting up with your feet in shoes and on footrests .. because the paralyzed foot wants to 'point'. At least that's my theory.
                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                  Do you have foot drop Emi? I think that can contribute to the problem with stockings, even sitting up with your feet in shoes and on footrests .. because the paralyzed foot wants to 'point'. At least that's my theory.
                  Nope, no drop food in my chair, just in bed - I've always had my feet angled back to prevent it.

Comment

I have nothing to contribute the pressure sore concern, but wanted to share my recent experience of wearing compression socks again for the first time in years. I had several pairs sitting in a drawer and was motivated to put them on to bring down the swelling in my feet. They work amazingly well. After a day's use my feet went from plump (easily dimpled with the push of a finger) to almost no swelling whatsoever. I don't know that I need to wear them -- the swelling is not a proximate health threat -- but it's nice to see healthier looking feet when I remove the stockings.
                    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I get the same thing often, and the mark goes away over night. I just look at it when I take them off to be sure it isn't more that a mark, so far no problems, and it has been like that for several years.
                      T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Others have made similar comment, but I get a mark from the stockings just as described and it has not been a problem in years of wearing them

Comment

How much do your feet swell? Do you eat alot of salty foods or stuff high in carbs? Maybe you should cut back on some of these and see if your feet don't swell as much.
                          A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

My feet don't swell too terribly, just enough that it makes me have to cath a lot at night and causes my nerve pain to be worse.

I don't eat much carbs or any added salt.

Comment

Working...
                            X