Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100 cc after six hours and a liter of water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 cc after six hours and a liter of water?

I voided six hours ago. Three or four hours ago I had I would estimate .75 liters of water, it was two and a half tall glasses. Maybe .5 liters but I think a bit more. Just cathed and only 100 cc output, very dark color.

Is this normal? I feel fine but it is kind of weird sometimes to give 100 cc, sometimes 700 cc and sometimes 1200 cc with no clue or warning as to why. Surprised people do not use those ultrasounds they use in hospitals to tell how much is ther, does anyone use one for home use?

Sorry for posting all these cath questions to this message board lately. It is a somewhat scary process that is totally inadequately explained and there is a lot of just wrong info people are told as well.

I see that sometime when I have a massive on deck (sorry to use medical terminology, in colloquial term I mean when I have a large bowel movement imminent).

Comment

Originally posted by smashms
      I would call your doctor
      After six hours of your urinary output not matching your input? I think that is way overreacting.

Comment

Output is affected by a lot of things, such as degree of hydration, salt heavy meal, bowel fullness, etc. Over the years, I have noticed that I go through shifts in output time. There are periods when most of my output occurs at night and at other times during the day. Currently I am putting out about 1.5 liters during the day and about .5 over night.

If you do not have any symptoms of a problem such as pain, AD etc., I would not worry.
        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Even something simple that you ate can do that. I went a long time without voiding, then had little output. My feet were swollen so I kind of panicked thinking my kidneys weren't functioning. It turned out that I had eaten a lot of black licorice which can make you retain water. Black licorice is not good if you have high blood pressure!
          C5/C6

Comment

Well I would love to know exactly what effects exactly what foods or other things have. It would be useful to be able to predict what the output is going to be so can no how much to drink before-hand or when to cath.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that under ideal conditions, the body produces urine at a rate of about 1 ml/min.

All the best,
              GJ

Comment

Originally posted by xsfxsf View Post
                Well I would love to know exactly what effects exactly what foods or other things have. It would be useful to be able to predict what the output is going to be so can no how much to drink before-hand or when to cath.
                I think it is all trial and error. I recently found out large amounts of chocolate (I got an unexpected box of chocolates for valentines day) messes up my cathing schedule. I didn't have any output at my 11pm cathing and ending up having an accident around 4am, which never happens unless I have a UTI (which I don't, the next day after not cramming chocolate down my pie hole things went back to normal)

Comment

Things go smoothly, then all of a sudden, not so smoothly, cath-wise. A few days ago I drank as much as usual, but had very little output all day long. I guess I might have been dehydrated. Things were back to normal the next day. This happens 10 or so times a year for me. It'd be nice if our bodies would always maintain our schedule, but like others posted, many factors affect our urine output. And sometimes there's just no explanation in varying amounts of output. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
                  Originally posted by xsfxsf
                  Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                  Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Urine output varies from person to person, depending on a lot of things. What you ate and drank prior to that deluge of water may be the answer. Generally, once you lie down, your kidneys work better - the blood circulates through them easier. Foods that are high in salt, or spicy can cause you to become a little dehydrated, especially if you aren't used to them. And remember, it doesn't have to taste salty to have a lot of salt in it.
                    Try to pace your drinking so that you keep fluids circulating through out your body. But do remember, that drinks that contain alcohol or caffeine are dehydraing. Also, soda (high in salt) is not a great choice.

Hope that this helps some
                    CKF
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

When emptying and cleaning my night bag every morning, sometimes I have 300 ml, and other times as much as 700 ml. I always wonder if that is normal, as my uro doc says it depends on what I ate and drank to cause this and not to worry. I sleep about 7-8 hours a night.

Comment

Your doc is right - it depends on what you ate and drank and when. Unfortunately, over a short period of time will not give you the information that you need. That is why we look at I&O over 24 hours.

CKF
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                        X