Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head pressure

Hi all,
    Was wondering if any of you with neck injuries ever get a "pressure" feeling in the head?
    This usually happens when I go from standing to sitting, when I cough, strain, bend or sneeze.

do you have any blood pressure issues? No sci here, but those activities are all ones that can cause changes in your blood pressure which can result in a pressure or lightheaded feeling

I have a condition called dysautonomia which causes issues with my blood pressure and heart rate, so it sounded a bit familiar to me. I know from here that bp issues are not unusual with sci.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Yes, it is a little high on occasion. I am on Atenolol for that and also tachycardia..

Comment

Do you have a neurologist? I would make an appointment and discuss this question with them.

These headaches/pressure could be nothing, but sometimes they can be caused by a brain problem. Have you ever had a brain MRI?

Here's a short discussion of your problem from a Mayo clinic website.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pri...daches/DS00639

Comment

What is your blood pressure when this occurs?
          CWO
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I do not have a neurologist at this time, but last year I was having alot of back pain and had a complete bone scan and a neck and back mri. Which showed that the pain in my back I was having was a fractured sacrum.
            I'm not sure what my blood pressure is when this happens. I will try to take it to find out. I NEVER had an issue with this til post sci. I noticed that after my injury when I would first lay down I would get the pressure and it would last a few seconds then go away. Gradually with time, it has become more frequent. I have the feeling when I first stand up, and bend over, strain.... I'm a hypochondriac, and my mind is in overdrive thinking I have a brain tumor.

Comment

Even though I worry about it being the absolute worst thing, I do think it's spine related somehow. Because the pressure I feel is kind of pulsating when it does it and goes all the way to my tailbone..

Comment

Originally posted by Jenfr View Post
                Even though I worry about it being the absolute worst thing, I do think it's spine related somehow. Because the pressure I feel is kind of pulsating when it does it and goes all the way to my tailbone..
                Do you have a spinal cord injury? If so what level and ASIA rating? I noticed you said this happens when you stand and am just curious. If you spend most of your time in a wheelchair then standing will make you dizzy. If I haven't used my standing frame for a while I can get lightheaded using it.

Comment

Is your spinal cord injury in the C-spine? Your symptoms may be related to your prior injury or surgery/scarring related to your injury.

But you should get it checked out. You should find a neurologist and talk about another MRI of your head and maybe the top of your C-spine. It is possible your physiatrist could help you with this.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies.
                    Yes, I do have a spinal cord injury. C4-5 and T6-8 incomplete.
                    I have all feeling and movement except in my left foot, which I wear an AFO.
                    I use my chair about 90% of the time. I can walk with a cane but for only short distance. My injury is from a car accident on 6-21-02

Comment

Originally posted by smashms
                      This is not at all what you have I think it might be related to you changing positions and hlh why are you again diagnosing didn't you read the entire post? I would see your doctor though they might have a better answer for you it most likely has to do with you changing positions or your blood pressure since you do have a history of high bp and heart rate issues. I would try to take your blood pressure when you are experiencing the headaches it may clue you in further.

Ok Shasms. I appreciate you trying to help too. Can't we all pitch in? I'm simply recommending s/he see their doctor.
                      Last edited by hlh; 14 Feb 2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I appreciate all thoughts..and i'm a woman

Comment

I think you definitely should talk to your Dr. I think some orthostatic blood pressure testing would be good. As I mentioned before its possible the symptoms are a result of bp changes, especially since you have a history of high bp and tachycardia.
                          Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Is there any reason why you haven't talked to a neurologist about your problem? It seems like you've had it a long time.

Comment

Working...
                            X