Sigh...sore stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigh...sore stuff

So wake up and my heel on the stage 3 left leg is blazing red as if it may blister. Trying all varying positional tricks. Obviously, I'm sucking at it.
    I need to keep my outside ankle , calf and now heel from pressure. Any suggestions welcome.
    Currently I am using a heel protector , the type they give in the hospital. Place a small towel under that (this may have led to the red heel) so I can keep my calf from hitting the bed.

While in the chair I'm tilting as much as possible. Good or bad idea?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I have dealt with a heel and foot sore several years ago. All I did to keep them off the mattress was to put a pillow under my legs and leave my feet hang out over the lower edge of the pillow. I sleep on my sides so my calves do not get pressure. I stay off my back because of an old sacral wound.

Do you get leg spasms that may be causing sheet burns? Something unusual seems to be going on with the mulltiple foot/leg problems you are experiencing.
    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs.; 18 Dec 2011, 12:18 PM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

No spasms out of the ordinance, just over the top nuero pain. I'm just diligent without being PCS about my skin so I'm pissed, frustrated and sad. If I put it on a pillows it will touch the calf. I'm concerned about blood flow?
      Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

Comment

Sorry Droid typos.

Comment

If you use a regular bed pillow, it is wide enough to avoid a tourniquet effect. I wonder if you have some sort of circulatory problem in your legs that make you vulnerable, like advanced diabetics often experience because of peripheral vascular disease.
          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
            If you use a regular bed pillow, it is wide enough to avoid a tourniquet effect. I wonder if you have some sort of circulatory problem in your legs that make you vulnerable, like advanced diabetics often experience because of peripheral vascular disease.
            No, on the diabetes. The pillow would work except then it hits the side lower calf where the severest open wound is.
            I've healed the outer ankle and don't want to screw it up again.perhaps a small neck pillow maybe an answer under my lowest part of my leg. Thanks for brainstorming with me.

Comment

roll a blanket then put the pillow on top of it. your feet n ankles hang over no touching

Comment

good suggestions
                CKF
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                  I stay off my back because of an old sacral wound.
                  I can't sleep on my back either. The small hospital I was taken to after the wreck put chin traction on me, then placed a sand bag in the middle of my back to keep me from sliding up in bed. Seven days with that sand bag and never being turned left me with a deep sore. The scar tissue feels like fire when it is touched, even with a sheet. I'm grateful medical facilities are so much more knowledgeable now!
                  C5/C6

Comment

What about a multi-podus boot? It has a kick stand on the back 'to keep your hip in alignment with your feet' and lots of padding with no moisture (sweat).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RCAI-MPO-Acti...1#ht_620wt_825

I have two - but the damn kickstand couldn't stand the pressure of my rotating hips and both busted at the halfway point! I need to get it fixed ASAP because my ankle is not healing (connected to a possible thyroid problem though too).

It's nice to have feet in alignment ... also the heel is suspended from touching anything at all. I only wore these in bed - too big for the chair (but I have a roho footrest).

The nurse will have better suggestions than I.
                    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by Lizbv View Post
                      roll a blanket then put the pillow on top of it. your feet n ankles hang over no touching
                      Yes but it would hit the back lower calf.
                      The neck pillows seemed to work.

Not wearing any socks and a large sized furry slipper today.
                      There's a green icky inside the hole. Good bad?

Comment

Thanks again for all your suggestions, I want to be as proactive as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Liz321 View Post
                          There's a green icky inside the hole. Good bad?
                          Usually means psuedomonas .. is there a smell with it too or no? Infected in any case. How often are the dressings being changed?
                          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Twice a day. No smell. Going to go and see him today if I can get an appt. Even if I don't get one I'm going!

Comment

Roho has a heel cushion that worked pretty well for us -

http://www.caremedicalsource.com/Sho...AID=1138359881

Comment

Working...
                              X