Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTI Relief for my dad

Hello All,
    Am new to the group. I have thus far found some very insightful and interesting reading related to urological issues within the SCI Community Forums. So, I figured I'd post my family's dilemma and see what kind of input I might get from this well informed group. (A little lengthy)

A little over 2 years ago my father had surgery for a stomach anuerysm, from which, he suffered, among other things, a post surgical spinal stroke, which caused a T-10 incomplete spinal cord injury.

After all the trials and tribulations associated with trying to recover and rehabilitate (to a certain degree), he has been self catherizing every since. He and my mother actually tag team the procedure and have become quite good at it. Even the health care professionals have complimented them on how well they've adapted to it.

But here is the problem; even though they are as careful, sterile and clean as possible, my father suffers from "extremely frequent" UTI's. It seems that about every 4-6 weeks he's headed back to the hospital for the same issue. It's never the E-coli version that is so common and never any pain associated with it. They always put him back on the antibiotic regimine. The past two incidents, he's had to go on the long term (4-6 weeks) IV administered antibiotics.

At some point, there will be total resistance to the drugs, so I am bound and determined to find some alternatives.

He's already been doing the water, cranberry, Vitamin C...... The D-mannose has been used, on and on and on.

I am just wondering if an alternative method of catheterization might be in order so as to get the bladder completely emptied.

A urologist at Thomas Jefferson in PHL suggested, as a possible option, having a sphincterotomy performed.

I'm studying everything I can, but would surely appreciate any/all suggestions, ideas, guidance and so on that I can get. Thanks to All.

Welcome DBA1964. I'm sure many will post their advice when they see this. Vetericyn(sp) is used by many here as an alternative to mainstream treatments, with good effect at fighting UTIs.

Your father shouldn't get antibiotics unless he's symptomatic, make sure the doc isn't over prescribing.
    Good luck.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome to Care Cure Community "DBA1964,"

Sorry your father is suffer with frequent urinary tract infections. It can be frustrating.

"Rdf" is right. Many member here use Vetericyn instillations to the bladder to remain urinary tract infection free. There are a number of threads for you to read. After you have read through them, please come back with questions. Here are a few to get you started.
      /forum/showthread.php?t=133414
      /forum/showthread.php?t=167480
      http:///forum/newreply.php?do=newrep...e=1&p=1448585&

Suggest to your father that he discuss Botox injections to the bladder before thinking about a sphincterotomy. Here are a couple threads to read. Search the site for more.
      /forum/showthread.php?t=160798
      /forum/showthread.php?t=160798

There has been a lot written about sphincterotomy here too. Try searching the site to get more information.

Come back with any further questions.

All the best,
      GJ

Comment

I am assuming the thought is with a sphincterorotmy he would wear a condom catheter and "drain constantly". Does he have bladder contractions? We don't do sphincterotomies any more.
        With Botox he would have to conintue cathing and I guess this is the most likely cause of his UTIs.
        CWO
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

There is another option, but most lower spinal cord injured are usually not very interested in it. In addition to the other suggestions on this thread, have your father talk to his urologist about a supra pubic catheter (SPC). There are many threads about SPC for your study on this website.

All the best,
          GJ

Comment

Thanks for all the input thus far. have been reading through it almost non-stop since last night. My dad starts a 6-week IV ABX regimine this weekend. I'm determined to find some relief for him.

I definitely want to look at non-surgical methods first. The use of Vetericyn definitely looks like a place to start. Ordering that today and be ready to go when he is finished with the meds.

Wasn't too keen on the sphincterotomy either. Seemed to me that the benefits didn't outweigh the risks. No guarantees of lessening the UTI's.

I am going to read more on the suggestion of the supra-pubic cath. Have limited knowledge on it at the moment, but definitely interested.

Comment

Originally posted by DBA1964 View Post
              Thanks for all the input thus far. have been reading through it almost non-stop since last night. My dad starts a 6-week IV ABX regimine this weekend. I'm determined to find some relief for him.

I definitely want to look at non-surgical methods first. The use of Vetericyn definitely looks like a place to start. Ordering that today and be ready to go when he is finished with the meds.

Wasn't too keen on the sphincterotomy either. Seemed to me that the benefits didn't outweigh the risks. No guarantees of lessening the UTI's.

I am going to read more on the suggestion of the supra-pubic cath. Have limited knowledge on it at the moment, but definitely interested.
              You could start the Vetericyn anytime. You don't have to wait until the antibiotic course is finished. If you wait, at least start the last week of the course of antibiotics.

All the best,
              GJ

Comment

Sptube will probably not lessen the infections either and as indwelling tube may worsen it.
                CWO
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Colloidal silver in my drinking water has kept me infection free for years.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                    Sptube will probably not lessen the infections either and as indwelling tube may worsen it.
                    CWO
                    Not necessarily. If this man is cathing more than 4-6 times a day, he would definitely be a candidate for a suprapubic catheter because of frequent intermittent cathing intrusion into the bladder. It is really hard to know why anyone experiences serial urinary tract infections. There are so many variables with intermittent catheterization. Think about it...we have members here who describe their intermittent catheterization techniques that run the gamut in terms of cleanliness and some of those with the worst technique have very infrequent infections.

Even with the use of anticholinergics (to the limit that I could tolerate) I was cathing every 2-3 hours, as clean and carefully as absolutely possible and I was experiencing incredibly frequent UTIs. I finally got a suprapubic catheter and have only have one UTI in 20 months and that was the UTI that presented itself 3 days after the surgery to place the suprapubic catheter.

All the best,
                    GJ

Comment

Supra Pubic catheter is completely reversible, and heals when it is removed (or so says my last Urologist.) It may give your father time for his UTIs clear up.

Have you considered the possibility that your father may have an infection father up in his anatomy? For example, a Kidney infection is much harder to nail than a UTI. You may be on too short of doses of antibiotic...nailing the infection in the Urinary Tract, but not getting the Kidney infection... (personal experience.)

Also, the reason that the cranberry may not be working...it changes the PH or your urine making it unhospitable to infection...but it won't touch a kidney infection.

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                      There is another option, but most lower spinal cord injured are usually not very interested in it. In addition to the other suggestions on this thread, have your father talk to his urologist about a supra pubic catheter (SPC). There are many threads about SPC for your study on this website.

All the best,
                      GJ

Comment

Should be checked for bladder stones, also. They lead to frequent UTIs.
                        Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                        Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

The doctors have concluded after running all their tests it is another UTI. He caths 4-6 times daily. He's experienced both recurrence and relapse over the course of the past couple of years. Think this bout is a relapse because he had only been out of the hospital for about 2 weeks and then right back in. Starts his 6-week IV ABX today. Am very concerned about the negative effects the ABX can/will have on him. Gotta break this cycle somehow.

I know he follows a daily regimine of balanced diet along with vitamins, water, juice, etc. Not sure that his daily intake of water is enough. But I know he likes his coffee too. Decaf, but nonetheless, its still coffee. Don't know if that could be having negative effect or not.

Comment

Working...
                          X