Leakage around stoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leakage around stoma

I am getting alot of leakage around my stoma. It isn't urine. It's more like a thick leakage. It does have odor to it also. I clean the site 2x daily. 1x before I get out of bed and 1x when I get back in bed at the end of the day. When I take my pants/shorts off at the end of the day there is alot of the leakage on my pants. I don't understand why I'm getting so much leakage. I use Vetericyn 3x/week bladder for 35-40min. Spray Vetericyn on the stoma 2x/week. Always getting this leakage. I'm using the http://www.allegromedical.com/cathet...r-p175723.html have been for since I got out of rehab. IDK why it has changed. Possibly need to up my doses of Vetericyn for a week or 2.
    Please give some help here! Thanks

Originally posted by zwthomp View Post
    I am getting alot of leakage around my stoma. It isn't urine. It's more like a thick leakage. It does have odor to it also. I clean the site 2x daily. 1x before I get out of bed and 1x when I get back in bed at the end of the day. When I take my pants/shorts off at the end of the day there is alot of the leakage on my pants. I don't understand why I'm getting so much leakage. I use Vetericyn 3x/week bladder for 35-40min. Spray Vetericyn on the stoma 2x/week. Always getting this leakage. I'm using the http://www.allegromedical.com/cathet...r-p175723.html have been for since I got out of rehab. IDK why it has changed. Possibly need to up my doses of Vetericyn for a week or 2.
    Please give some help here! Thanks
    Hi "zwthomp,"
    You may be correct in thinking you need to increase your use of Vetericyn. I use 20cc of Vetericyn VF and 10cc of saline every night for 20-30 minutes. I wash the stoma with Vetericyn VF every night and with a mild soap every morning. I use an ointment moisturizer on the stoma and cover the stoma with a 4"x 4" gauze pad during the day.
    I don't know anything about the silicone coated latex foley catheter, but wonder if somehow there is a reaction you may be having to the latex, even though it is coated with silicone.
    When you change your catheter, are you experiencing any sediment or clogging of the catheter? How does the urine look?

It is not uncommon to get a little lymph discharge on the catheter at the stoma and you need to keep that area clean and free of lymph build up.

All the best,
    GJ

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
      Hi "zwthomp,"
      You may be correct in thinking you need to increase your use of Vetericyn. I use 20cc of Vetericyn VF and 10cc of saline every night for 20-30 minutes. I wash the stoma with Vetericyn VF every night and with a mild soap every morning. I use an ointment moisturizer on the stoma and cover the stoma with a 4"x 4" gauze pad during the day.
      I don't know anything about the silicone coated latex foley catheter, but wonder if somehow there is a reaction you may be having to the latex, even though it is coated with silicone.

It is not uncommon to get a little lymph discharge on the catheter at the stoma and you need to keep that area clean and free of lymph build up.

All the best,
      GJ
      I don't use soap to clean the site. I use http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Ant...-40ct/15716791 I don't believe there is anything there causing all the leakage reaction? I use it the 2x/day. 1x morning and 1x after the day and get back in bed. Possibly I need to cover the site with a dressing everyday before I get up also, hmm....

When you change your catheter, are you experiencing any sediment or clogging of the catheter? How does the urine look?
      I am using a 24Fr since I was released from rehab and decided to keep with it. I have a polyp on my bladder wall which creates quite a bit of sediment. Once I finally get my medicare/medicaid coverage I will be able to get that removed. In the meantime I usually have to push the catheter in my bladder a bit and twist it because the polyp blocks off the urine flow and causes AD. Also an increase in my spasms because of this polyp floating around in the bladder causing irritation.

Comment

"zwthomp,

Are you taking any anticholinergic agents like oxybutinin. Bladder apasms in cause leakage. Because of the polyp, your bladder could be spasming more than before. You may need to add an anticholinergic or increase what you are taking now.

All the best,
        GJ

Comment

"zwthomp,

Are you taking any anticholinergic agents like oxybutinin. Bladder apasms in cause leakage. Because of the polyp, your bladder could be spasming more than before. You may need to add an anticholinergic or increase what you are taking now.

All the best,
          GJ
          Yeah right now I'm taking OxybutinXL 10mg a.m. then 5 mg in the p.m. after i get in bed for the night.

Comment

my mitrofanoff stoma leaks goop. but it doesnt smell. looks like snot. i'd speak with your dr
            "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
            http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by smashms
              still am thinking he should be contacting his urologist instead of diagnosing himself or even a woc nurse would be helpful.
              "smashms," I agree that "zwthomp" should consider contacting his urologist if this problem persists. I think it is worth mentioning that I don't think any of us is trying to diagnose ourselves or each other. Rather, I think that by asking these questions and problem solving with one another here, we help each other sharpen our focus about what is happening in and to our bodies. When we discuss medical issues here it helps us to consider all the options, review our methods of care, and develop good questions to ask our medical professionals.

All the best,
              GJ

Comment

I have an SP Tube and I get a little lymph fluid leakage from my stoma everyday. I get alot of leakage on days when I change my tube and the stoma gets irritated. Also, the foods that I eat have a huge effect on how much goop I see coming out of the stoma. Really acidic foods even make it bleed.

Comment

Originally posted by smashms
                  i agree gj but he has tried all of the other sugesstions so he needs to call the doc now.
                  Next week I am going to be heading to Craig Hospital to be getting my hand controls! Can't wait have not drove since June 09. Midweek I made an appointment with urology next week while I'll out at Craig. Talk with urologist at Craig all day today and spoke with my Dr. here a bit. My appointment with Craig if all goes well I will get my SP change and get the polyp removed without having to be put under. Hopefully they can do it without me needing to setup another time to get it removed inpatient! WISH ME LUCK!
                  Thanks everuone for your concerns!!

Comment

Hi "zwthomp,"
                    Great news about getting back on the road. Good luck with your training.

Good luck with the urologist. Sounds like the polyp will be removed with the aid of a cystoscope. They will probably inject a little numbing agent in the area of the polyp and clip it off.

All of us will have you in our thoughts and look forward to hearing from you when you return.

All the best,
                    GJ

Comment

Hi "zwthomp,"
                      Great news about getting back on the road. Good luck with your training.

Good luck with the urologist. Sounds like the polyp will be removed with the aid of a cystoscope. They will probably inject a little numbing agent in the area of the polyp and clip it off.

All of us will have you in our thoughts and look forward to hearing from you when you return.

All the best,
                      GJ

YEAH!! It's late in the week. Late response. Everything went very well with my urology appointment. Urologist was very impressed with the health of my bladder because I was always having infections before. But, since I started using the Vetericyn daily or every other day, it helped tremendously!! I know there is ALOT of talk on the SCI forums about Vetericyn, aka "Vindex," "Magic Spray" anyone having bladder issues try using the Vetericyn!
                      Soooo glad these forums are here!!

Hand controls went well! Back on the road!

Thanks All,
                      zwthomp

Comment

Hi Everyone !!!!
                        For years I've been dealing with Bladder stoma leakage Gook

I do not use Vetrycin , I jst clean , change m dressings daily and will say that Being nervous or anxiety when my Urologist or his nurse changes my S/P tube I end up with this gunk leakage

Tonight 7 day's after they just put in a new S/P tube it became clogged and hard to irrigate so I just personally changed my S/P hose on myself and I did not have any spasms or leakage .

Their old S/P hose was full of encrustations blocking my urine flow thus making my bladder hurt , spasm and leak

I feel it is the cheaper brand of S/P hoses they install in me ,I am allergic to .

Personally I use a Bard 16 fr kit and have no problems

What ever cheaper brand S/P hoses they use in me Definitely causes pain , spasms , leakage

Just my 2 cents
                        Maybe some of us re allergic to certain brand S/P hoses

Good luck'
                        GL

Comment

Working...
                        X