Cleaning urinary drainage bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning urinary drainage bags

I've had a SP tube for nearly 6 years, and no one ever told me that I could take the bag off and clean it. In fact, I was told not to do so.
    So... I just wear a bedside bag until it gets a bunch of junk on it (about a week), then I trash it. How often do you guys clean your bags? Is there less risk of UTI with cleaning the bags or just keeping the system closed the way I do?

If you disconnect bags to attach a leg bag during the day, both bags should be cleaned daily. If you maintain a closed system, and never change to a different bag except to place a new one, then it is best to not clean.

To clean bags, this is the recommended procedure:
    1. Empty the bag
    2. Attach a clean funnel to the intake port (use a short length of leg bag tubing).
    3. Fill bag 1/3 full with tap water.
    4. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Drain.
    5. Repeat.
    6. Fill bag 1/3 full with 10% bleach solution (freshly made).
    7. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
    8. Drain.
    9. Wrap in clean, dry towel and store until next needed.
    10. Replace bags monthly.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
    X