Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MRI findings on my shoulder and confused.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never been more sorry to see someone say I was right.

Talked to a guy this afternoon who has had successful surgery on both shoulders. He had small, new tears, was young at the time. One shoulder is going on 10 years, the other 2. Had tremendous support for a many week recovery. It might pay to ask. All the education and forethought you can obtain going in is probably to the good.

Glad to hear you (Patrick) can still handcycle. I had one before it was a commercial item, and have the privilege of knowing the guy who built the very first one. That was a long time ago, but the memories are good.

Patrick's chiro / massage / exercise sounds like a good combination.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Yeah, not too much fun saying it either gac. Glad to hear someone is good after that many years. Being young has its advantages. I guess it all depends on the injury, surgeon and attitude of the "sergeree".

I built my first handcycle in 1976, still have it hanging on my wall. We used one of those old plastic kitchen chairs for a seat. I'm going to have to get 'er down and take a photo with my current bike. I can't imagine not riding.

All we can do is maximize what we have left. For me, surgery is out of the question so I just strengthen the muscles surrounding the rips and tears as much as possible and try to use some forethought before doing something. I think it's the forethough I keep forgetting lol.

Comment

1976! You have me searching for my scrapbook. Thanks. I am pretty sure we were 1970's, but the exact year is in the haze. My original trike is also hanging on the wall.
        T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

I am so relieved to see others are having the same doubts as I about shoulder surgery. I tore my rotator cuff transferring my husband (dumb me) and just today I finished my session with the physical therapist. The ortho doc wanted to operate but I have no support system at all and I'm the only one who takes care of hubby so who would take care of me and him plus our dogs and cats????? I too am just trying to strengthen the muscles and tendons around the tear so it is at least sorta functional. I've tried every thing imaginable to try and be comfortable enough so I can sleep at night but all I do is screw around with placing pillows every which way. I tried one of those foam wedges but the stinking thing is so hard it really hurts my back even when I put pillows against it. I'm open to any suggestions.
          I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.
          - Jackie Mason -

Comment

My experience has been that PT can reduce the pain, but not restore the function.

Do you know exactly what is torn? Do you have a partial or full tear? A single tear or multiple tears? Do you heal well? Despite the complications you face, if a single partial tear and good healing I would not throw surgery out before I had a clear understanding of the problem.

I have had periods where the problem is getting through the day, and other periods where it is getting through the night, and others both.

I sleep on my stomach, and if I put pillows under my shoulders so the shoulders are pushed backwards this seems to help. During the night terror periods I take a couple of Aleve before bed. If I can get things to settle down in the night, this makes a big difference in the pain.

If you sleep on your back, you might consider a towel roll or a small pillow under your spine. Again, stretch the shoulders backwards.

Since you are a walking person, your might take a look at this http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/02/he...0injury&st=cse If it is your supraspinatus and you are otherwise OK, there is a good chance it can help.

Perhaps the most important thing you can do is arrange your life to impose as little stress as possible on your shoulder. I used to be a no pain, no gain guy. It is nonsense.

Good luck.
            Last edited by gac3rd; 19 Oct 2011, 9:53 PM. Reason: Add back roll, headstand.

Comment

Thanks gac3rd. The doc said it's a partial but large tear. It hurts but I actually have better ROM because of the PT so that makes me a believer in physical therapy. I looked at the link you sent and its' for a yoga pose which I'm putting in my PT exercises. Thanks again.
              I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.
              - Jackie Mason -

Comment

Do you know exactly what got torn?

The yoga exercise is only known to be effective for supraspinatus tear. It works by triggering other muscle groups to take over.

Here is a link to the original work. http://journals.lww.com/topicsingeri...otator.10.aspx

Comment

Had my appointment with a surgeon he asked me to describe the pain, etc. I told him about having bone spurs in my neck that when inflamed also cause pain in the shoulder and arm so I had no idea how long the rotator cuff might have been damaged. He moved my arm in all different types of positions and had me resist his movement at times. Only two positions caused any type of pain. He said I had good strength in my arm and still had full rom.

His advise was not to have the surgery and take a conservative course of treatment for now. If my rom and strength had been limited think he would have had different advise for me. He said that having to use my arms so much probably caused the tear but the good thing from using my arms so much had strengthened the other muscles so I have kept strength and rom. He said to use NSAIDS for pain and excercise and we will just keep an eye on the shoulder. Also said I could have up to 3 shots in the shoulder in a one year period I am going to go to physical therapy for four weeks.

He said if the time comes when I need to have the surgery I will know and I am sure I will. As for now there are days when I have no pain and I can still do so many things that I was really not ready to have any kind of surgery. He did explain how difficult the recovery period would be for me(rehab stay, lifts at home, etc) if or when I need to have the surgery.

He has performed the surgery on one paraplegic but I could tell it wasn't recent or at least not fresh in his mind. But He said he and his partner are performing the surgery on a para next week because she had little rom left and really had no choice. He said she couldn't do anything for herself anymore I don't know her but wish her the best.
                  A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Comment

It's a good day anytime you walk away from a surgeon and not need surgery. Sounds like he's a good one.

Its kind of a reminder to keep those shoulders strong and supple. The shots can cause damage bigtime. I had one for the spinatus and tore the bicep tendon off the longhead a week later. I t may have a correlation. The doc gave me percocets, valium etc for pain but the NSAIDS worked much better. I use them as sparinlgly as possible.

I suggest you get some therabands of different strengths and start with them. They're cheap won't, rip the shoulders and can be used in any postion. They are extremely effective.

The shoulders will eventually go so for me the object is to see how long I could keep them healthy and strong. I'm still working on that lol
                    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 2 Nov 2011, 8:17 PM.

Comment

I'm just curious if anyone can differentiate between arthritis pain in the shoulder and pain from actual tears?

My diagnostics showed minor tears as well as arthritis. The arthritis pain seems to really ache with changes in the weather and all those sorts of triggers. The pain from the minor tears (to me) seems to be more sharp and focused.

Comment

Working...
                      X