Long term effects sleeping on air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term effects sleeping on air?

I've had a static mattress overlay for many years - from age 26 until age 36 when I switched over to an alternating air mattress. My private insurance will not cover the low air loss and they are out of my financial range.

Anyway ... my hips are really rotating (flaccid paralysis). My knees are at 10 & 2 o'clock if not worse when I lay flat on my back and my feet are ballet pirouetted. I noticed yesterday that my right leg, now, doesn't want to stay on the footrest almost like it has drop foot.

I have had an awfully sore back lately (but I couple this with abdominal problems and am hoping the impending hysterectomy and re-suspension of bladder/bowel will correct this).

My question is if there are any long-term studies on the effects of sleeping on air overlays/mattresses on bone structure in spinal cord injury?

Probably not, right?
    Last edited by lynnifer; 11 Jul 2011, 10:15 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I haven't seen anything, but I will do a search and get back to you if I find anything.
    CKF
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

A friend of mine has been using a KCI lal mattress for several years and he does not seem to have any skeletal issues. Late last year something was wearing out (I forget what) and he told a group of us that he got a like-new one on ebay for $800.
      You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
      http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
      http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
        I've had a static mattress overlay for many years - from age 26 until age 36 when I switched over to an alternating air mattress. My private insurance will not cover the low air loss and they are out of my financial range.

Anyway ... my hips are really rotating (flaccid paralysis). My knees are at 10 & 2 o'clock if not worse when I lay flat on my back and my feet are ballet pirouetted. I noticed yesterday that my right leg, now, doesn't want to stay on the footrest almost like it has drop foot.

I have had an awfully sore back lately (but I couple this with abdominal problems and am hoping the impending hysterectomy and re-suspension of bladder/bowel will correct this).

My question is if there are any long-term studies on the effects of sleeping on air overlays/mattresses on bone structure in spinal cord injury?

Probably not, right?
        I have slept on a Pegasus Airwave alternating pressure mattress for over 12 years with no problems at all. Everyone is different so it still could be the mattress I can only speak for myself but it is the most comfortable part of my day sleeping in that bed.
        ^^(A)^^

Comment

Working...
        X