Colonoscopy Prep...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonoscopy Prep...

Hey all....going to my colonoscopy next week (T-10 para - 30 yrs post).

2 quick questions:

1. I heard that SCI have more trouble emptying out their bowels for the prep for this....any way to improve my chances of not having to go back because I still got some poop in the colon?

2. How IN THE HELL do you guys do the prep? Lots of attends I'm sure. But, if I'm on my comode chair for 6 hours, I will have pressure sores galore...

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

thanks!!!

https://www.carecure.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157552
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Try changing your diet 3-4 days ahead of your s surgery. A low residue diet (look on line for suggestions) will help. 2-3 days ahead of the surgery, change to a clear liquid diet.
      The prep will be prescribed by your doc. You can try padding your bed well with chux or getting Up on your commode. It is not fun, but hopefully the results will be worth it!

One other thing- make sure that you drink either some sports drinks - helps keep the glucose and electrolytes going.

Ckf
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        One other thing- make sure that you drink either some sports drinks - helps keep the glucose and electrolytes going.

Ckf
        Aren't the prescription colonoscopy prep solutions already glucose/electrolyte balanced, i.e., colyte, golytely etc?

GJ

Comment

They are, but it doesn't hurt to add a little, depending on how much you put out. Plus, for swome reason, it seems people are able to tolerate them a little better than plain old water.
          CKF
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I have a friend who was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer about a month ago. She had surgery to remove lymph nodes and a section of the colon. Her surgeon recommended this prep before the surgery. She says it tasted and worked a lot better for her than any of the prescription colon cleansing preparations.
            The day before the procedure, eat nothing but clear liquids. Around 3 p.m. take 4 Dulcolax tablets. Then at 5 p.m, Mix a 238gm bottle of Miralax with 64 oz of Gatorade and drink it as quickly as you can.

Her comment: Not bad tasting, (although I will never drink lime Gatorade again) and no cramping...1M% easier!

Talk to your doctor about this alternative the next time you have to do a colonoscopy prep.

All the best,
            GJ

Comment

Originally posted by rjg
              do the prep 2 days out - then don't eat. it takes willpower, sure, but so do most things in life - especially whilst paralyzed.
              I don't think this is best health practice plus you still have to do the prep one way or the other, and why put yourself through the starvation for a day before the procedure. Just wondering, if you have actually done the prep for a colonoscopy in this manner?

All the best,
              GJ

Comment

actually I would suggest doing it the way the nurse suggested...3/4 days out switch to a low fibre/fiber diet, easy foods to pass through your system.

2/3 days out go clears

day before..do prep as suggested by your doctor. and stay on clears...good luck
                Liza R. McCollum

Comment

[QUOTE=gjnl;1382434] Her surgeon recommended this prep before the surgery. She says it tasted and worked a lot better for her than any of the prescription colon cleansing preparations.
                  The day before the procedure, eat nothing but clear liquids. Around 3 p.m. take 4 Dulcolax tablets. Then at 5 p.m, Mix a 238gm bottle of Miralax with 64 oz of Gatorade and drink it as quickly as you can.

Hi all, I have a colonoscopy scheduled for this Thursday. I received instructions similar to those mentioned above. The only difference is that in the instructions I was given, I've been instructed to split the mixture into 2 separate doses. One beginning at 5 PM and the other to be completed 4 to 5 hours before the test. My concern is that I won't have an attendant available to do the 2nd dose, so I am unsure if I should do the full dose in the evening all at once. I plan on calling the doctor's office tomorrow, but I 1st wanted to see if anyone else has some suggestions. I certainly don't want to go through the process and find out that my colon hasn't been cleaned out enough and I would need to reschedule.

Comment

There are a number of old threads on this subject whcih I found helpful before doing prep and colonoscopy last year.
                    The key piece of equipment for me was getting a ROHO toilet seat cover which allowed me to tolerate long time on the commode

Comment

Your doctor should be able to tell you what has worked for most of his/her patients. I would think that doing the drink the night before would be ok, but better to check.
                      CKF

Comment

I have never had a colonoscopy but have had procedures which have required a less than a days stay. I believe that most insurance companies pay for a 23 hour stay. As long as the stay doesn't exceed 24 hrs I don't see why you can't go in the night before and have the hospital do the prep. I went in for a baclofen pump replacement and was later put in an outpatient holding room and left the following morning. I have done this for a few other out patient procedures. *This was not considered admission to the hospital for an extended stay. It may be worth checking into.

Comment

I'm sure this is more difficult now but it worked twice after the SCI RN suggested it. Call the case manager line for your Medicare or other insurance. Explain your injury, your past and current pressure sore history and definitely add in if you have family member caregivers as this goes above and beyond. Ask for a 23 hour stay at the hospital. If you discuss this with your GI MD and/or surgeon first you normally seem to get it. Then it's soft/clear low fiber food until the morning or afternoon of check in. Docs use 4 or 5 bottles of Magnesium Ciytate and then add an IV for electrolytes. Make sure you nurse and tech have a working bedside commode and plenty of chucks around. Also talk them through how to do a 2 person transfer as soon as you hear the gurgles. Once you're through the worst and just liquid is flowing see if the can tape a collection device normally used after colon surgey to your butt and go to sleep. This worked great for me twice. The third time my GI doc had gotten his own clinic. Did the starving and Miralax and the test was a mess. I have a family history on both sides of colon cancer and the first polyps were removed at 40. I do not plan to ever hear the words 'terminal cancer' or go through that pain. You do need to talk to your GI doc and your insurance pre-admit area and talk to a case manager who is almost always a RN.
                          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Has anyone that has a complete injury tried the angel of water colonic prep before a colonoscopy ?

Comment

my doc puts me in hospital for 2 days for prep i have a lot of ad problems and he wants to make sure i am safe and cleaned out good

Comment

Working...
                              X