No announcement yet.

Colonoscopy Prep...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I am 7 days out from my colonoscopy appointment . I have researched this ad nauseum: just not too many encouraging results. Some studies point to an 80% failure in SCI home prep . I have an appt tomorrow( to discuss hemmoroids and prep) but currently am planning on low fiber diet which will gradually switch to just cream soups 4 days out and then just clears for last 3 days hoping this will help. My question shoud I argue for the 4 ducloax and 238ml miralax with 64 oz gatorade or go with go lyletly that my doc wants. Also they mention a 2 day prep? wondering if this gives me a better chance or just prolongs the agony? Any additional input is appreciated.

Comment

My husband (complete T4 injury) had one it was horrible. Insurance was nice enough to admit him for the prep. He was in a puddle of poo for a whole day!!! Stool just drained out of him.
      Something that I would be aware of is that he got the worst UTI ever!!! They put a foley in him but then it was just settling in the poo puddle and he got an infection. Horrible and his bladder program has never been good since.
      The prep will be horrible but just try to keep from getting a UTI.
      Good luck, I am so sorry you have to go through this. We will be praying for you!

Comment

Originally posted by pete4sake View Post
        Well I am 7 days out from my colonoscopy appointment . I have researched this ad nauseum: just not too many encouraging results. Some studies point to an 80% failure in SCI home prep . I have an appt tomorrow( to discuss hemmoroids and prep) but currently am planning on low fiber diet which will gradually switch to just cream soups 4 days out and then just clears for last 3 days hoping this will help. My question shoud I argue for the 4 ducloax and 238ml miralax with 64 oz gatorade or go with go lyletly that my doc wants. Also they mention a 2 day prep? wondering if this gives me a better chance or just prolongs the agony? Any additional input is appreciated.
        I did what you did last sept. and it was the wrong thing for me. Because I was so hungry after surgery I couldn't go and they wouldn't let me eat anything solid. Finally after five days of not going I beg them to let me have something solid and as soon as I did I went and started feeling great. I left the next morning. No problems since.

I would wait and stop solids maybe three days prior.

Comment

I have done it at home which was one BIG MESS and in the hospital. Cara_m is right most insurance and Medicare will pay for a overnight stay for the procedure. Tell your doctor and do it in hospital.

Comment

Gee, where to begin...with the bad news, I guess. In 2000, I was moderately healthly,overweight, but with no known problems. PCP says its time to look up your...ah, address. So, I do the prep...no real problems...then go in for the procedure the next day. they had problems with their "air puffer", but the doctor(?) had a golf date so he plunged ahead. It HURT! I had colonoscopies before at like 10 yr intervals with no issues, but this one HURT. Three days later, I had a mild heart attack...mild, up in the back of my heart, but wound up with triple bypass. Strangely enough, the hospital never charged me for the colonoscopy.

Fast forward. I now have MS (they tell me). Legs don't work very well. A trip from lift-recliner or bed to toilet takes at best 7-8 minutes. I have a colonoscopy scheduled the week of the 18th (mild discomfort in my left side...gastro doctor wants to look).

Anyway, the plan is,I'll be admitted thru the outpatient clinic in the evening, and they will give me a Bardex enema and clean me out, hopefully without being required to leave the bed. Colonoscopy the next morning.

We'll see...

Comment

Willing, I think I would be prepared for a longer stay. If it were that easy more would get them regularly. GoLyghtly is being pushed more often because it is supposed to be easier on the kidneys because of the electrolytes. I prefer the mag citrate and my skin intact. Each person is different but once you know let them know. Definitely mention the pain last time. Many people, both AB and DA, go under twilight and still feel the pain. The doc or nurse needs to know so they can adjust the dose they give you. Good luck!
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

OMG I'm effing 52. I'm on the firing line for this now...and behind the curve.

Damn.
                Blog:
                Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by betheny View Post
                  OMG I'm effing 52. I'm on the firing line for this now...and behind the curve.

Damn.
                  Let's get started. We need you around many years to come.

Comment

Sigh. I presume it's unfashionable to prefer a hasty death to this fricking procedure.
                    Blog:
                    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Sigh. I presume it's unfashionable to prefer a hasty death to this fricking procedure.
                      I'm past due also, but don't feel like getting it done. It's not unfashionable imo, to feel as you do. I remember a year after I was injured I needed to be cleaned out for some test, and they had me drink castor oil. I choked it down, horrible! But it did the trick.

I'm 51 and will risk not getting one for the time being. Death doesn't scare me after living so long in a chair. I do enjoy the life I have, but I'll roll the dice on this procedure for now.
                      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

My parents were from the old "a clean colon is a happy colon" school, so I've had many enemas in the past, and I have no concern about that. (Wasn't it May West who used to take enemas daily?)

The pain in 2000 was caused by the doctor. I don't know if he didn't know how to drive the scope or was just in a hurry to get done. It felt let he would shove in the tube and then try to use the air puffer to expand my colon....and then steer the camera wrong.

Comment

I've never been fashionable.
                          Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Well I got thorough it. Prep was kinda rough but I needed to get it done. I have a follow up Monday to discuss "roids" internal and external which was cause of my symptoms that finally convinced me to do procedure. (I had put it off for at least 4 years) No cancer so peace of mind there. My advice be prepared and have some help lined up if doing at home which I did. Just wanted to say thanks to the people that post on here information is basically priceless!

Comment

Miralax taken in large dose works for bowel prep. Stop eating as instructed. Drink the doses as instructed for bowel prep, which is different from normal constipation prevention. Get in bed and relax as the dose may take up to 2 to 3 hours to kick in. Get on the commode chair and do the bowel routine as usual upon which you will expel feces and water. Be careful that in traveling from the bed to the toilet you do not dump all over the floor. You may wish to put something under the chair as you move to the bathroom. You'll be able to get out about 75% during the normal bowel routine plus a little more time. As you expel less solid and more water you will know you're getting toward the end. With each digital it sounds like a waterfall into the toilet.

You will need overnight attendance as you will continue to defecate varying amounts through the night. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. But you will continue to defecate overnight. I learned that I cannot be alone overnight after a bowel prep.

Comment

At what age should we get a colonoscopy?

Comment

Working...
                                X