Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

more constipation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • more constipation

    I have been batteling constipation for a while now, small hard balls in small amounts. My famliy Doc told me to take lactolose everynight to get things going, but after doing a little research on the forum I found out it's not got to take lactolose on a everyday basis.

    I met with a DR who is a intestine and bowel speacialist and he told me to take
    5- metamucil psyllium pils twice daily
    1- docusate sodium twice daily
    1- senokot at night only

    I have had noticed it's softer but it's still small balls and not getting better. But the Dr told when I start getting backed up to take Purg-odan or magnesium oxide citric acid sodium picosulfate powder which is the same stuff they give you for a colonoscopy. IS that safe? how long does that take to work or run thru you?

    ohh, and I drink 3plus litres at day of water..

    Thanks.
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

  • #2
    Whats your diet like?

    Comment


    • #3
      My wife used Miralax to keep things moving; also Citrucel, replaced later by Metamucil wafers, to provide fiber.

      Comment


      • #4
        The lactulose is good for constipation, it breaks down the hard stuff up in your colon. Once that's done, then Miralax works well to keep most folks regular and semi-soft.

        The magnesium citrate works pretty quickly. You need to be near the toilet for a day or so.
        Originally posted by dewie27 View Post
        I have been batteling constipation for a while now, small hard balls in small amounts. My famliy Doc told me to take lactolose everynight to get things going, but after doing a little research on the forum I found out it's not got to take lactolose on a everyday basis.

        I met with a DR who is a intestine and bowel speacialist and he told me to take
        5- metamucil psyllium pils twice daily
        1- docusate sodium twice daily
        1- senokot at night only

        I have had noticed it's softer but it's still small balls and not getting better. But the Dr told when I start getting backed up to take Purg-odan or magnesium oxide citric acid sodium picosulfate powder which is the same stuff they give you for a colonoscopy. IS that safe? how long does that take to work or run thru you?

        ohh, and I drink 3plus litres at day of water..

        Thanks.
        Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
        Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

        Thanks!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rdf View Post
          The lactulose is good for constipation, it breaks down the hard stuff up in your colon. Once that's done, then Miralax works well to keep most folks regular and semi-soft.

          The magnesium citrate works pretty quickly. You need to be near the toilet for a day or so.
          awesome, no feeling like you know your gonna poop big time but never know when it's going to be..

          you can't use Miralax every day though... won't you get lazy bowels for it everyday? just like any other laxitive.
          Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't think you have to worry about megacolon with Miralax, or lazy bowels. I only take it occasionally - maybe for a few days 3 or 4 times a year. But many people take it daily, and have for years.

            Originally posted by dewie27 View Post
            awesome, no feeling like you know your gonna poop big time but never know when it's going to be..

            you can't use Miralax every day though... won't you get lazy bowels for it everyday? just like any other laxitive.
            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

            Thanks!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rdf View Post
              I don't think you have to worry about megacolon with Miralax, or lazy bowels. I only take it occasionally - maybe for a few days 3 or 4 times a year. But many people take it daily, and have for years.
              Yeah I take Miralax (or the store-brand equivalent "Clearalax") probably about four times a week. Not a full dose, probably 2/3 of a dose. I haven't heard of any negative effects of long-term use, and it keeps my colon from filling up with rocks.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi "dewie2,"
                It is essential that you drink enough water with the dosages of these fiber supplements and laxatives you are taking.
                Drink at least 8 ounces of water or juice with the Metamucil Capsules.
                Drink at least 8 ounces of water or juice with each dose (two times per day)
                Drink at least 8 ounces of water of juice with each dose.
                That is 32 ounces of water with just these supplements.
                The fluids you take with the capsules and tablets should be in addition to all the other fluids you ingest. Try to drink at least 2 liters or 2 quarts of water a day. That is roughly eight 8 ounce glasses per day in addition to what you drink with the fiber/laxative supplements your doctor has suggested.

                All the best,
                GJ

                Comment


                • #9
                  And take your vitamin supplements more than an hour after Metamucil. Otherwise it soaks them up and carries them away.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Do you use a standing frame? I found a standing frame helped me.
                    Never Give Up!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      are you on narcotics or other medication that stops you up? changing or altering meds might help. Also I have found certain foods make me "go" when I need to. I have spina bifida and it's a constant balancing act between too loose and too tight if you know what I mean. I know my trigger foods to counteract each extreme. Have you tried eating the foods that make you go/that you think might make you go. If your a healthy eater this may annoy you to eat "crap" but it might make you go and then you can resume your regular diet.
                      Liza R. McCollum

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        From someone who takes multiple medications that contribute to constipation:

                        Adding fiber supplements to my bowel program made my constipation worse, not better, no matter how much water I drank. There was a time when I was drinking six liters a day and I was still having hard stool. It was only after I stopped taking the fiber supplements that my stool started to soften.

                        I don't like Miralax. It's very slow acting -- it took 3-4 days for it to have any affect. By the time it did kick-in, my stool was way too soft, and remained that way for several days after I stopped taking it. Because it's so slow acting, it's been all but impossible for me to determine a dosing schedule/formula that works.

                        Probiotics. Eating Activia yogurt has helped. Taking Align made no noticeable difference in my bowel care.

                        My current program consists of water (3 to 4 liters a day), a serving of prunes in the morning (between 1/2 and 3/4 of a cup of uncooked prunes, which are a stimulant like senna and a provide 6-9 grams of vegetable fiber), 1000 mg of docusate sodium stool softener (500mg morning and evening), and a balanced diet. If my nightly bowel movement becomes too hard, I take a 500mg magnesium supplement the following morning. That softens the stool in time for my nightly bowel routine without making things too soft.

                        Since getting away from the conventional wisdom about adding fiber, my bowel routine is more consistent and predictable, I'm rarely constipated, and most importantly, I'm no longer having *any* problems with excess gas, my abdomen doesn't become uncomfortably distended, and it takes much less time and effort to complete my daily bowel care.
                        It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

                        ~Julius Caesar

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X