Almost blacked out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost blacked out

I've been getting up soon as my caregiver gets here and have had no problems most of the time. I've been lightheaded and a couple of times but not to the extent where I got today. We went to my moms work, hospital, to drop something off and I almost blacked out while my caregiver ran inside to drop off her purse. I had to lean over to the side pretty far for things to come back. We even pulled my socks all the way up. I really haven't had many problems since I started getting up but today was really bad. Boy that was close. I didn't have a blood pressure gauge sons not sure what it went down to. I'm up to four hours twice a day would have been having trouble doing because I don't really have someone to get me up around 5 PM to stay up for four hours. Everything has been looking great and I'm wondering at what point can I just stay up all day? But this blacking out thing is really going to bother me. It seems to be worse right after I eat. What's up with that?
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Is this when you did all the wheeling up/down the block and at the mall? I could understand that feeling if so! Don't push yourself too hard. You were in bed for a long time not using the muscles to wheel, transfer, etc.

I have not perfected the 'rehab' to come back after an extensive illness but I'll damn sure be asking for some guidance after surgery later this year and my insurance company has already made mention of it.

Our stamina gets wiped out so quickly. Use it or lose it has never been more accurate than with paralysis!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Were you well hydrated? Wearing an abdominal binder? Compression hose?

Do you have the hip range to lay forward chest to thighs when this happens? This should bring your blood pressure back up.

Invest in a blood pressure cuff.

As far as your sitting program, once you are doing OK on 4 hours twice daily, then go to 5 hours for several days, then 6 hours, then 7, then 8, etc. with at least 4-7 days at each level to be sure your skin is tolerating it OK. Of course be meticulous about doing your weight shifts and if you see any skin changes, go back a step.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

ry, this sounds like it could also be a vasovegal reaction. It makes me feel like I'm having a hot flash and ready to pass out, and the only thing that helps is to put my head down and get somewhere I can't fall out of the chair. With me, I finally figured out that it is brought on by eating, and it is worse when it is warm (or hot) weather. I also discovered that burping usually relieves the feeling, but with no abs, I can't make myself burp. Symethicone tablets, especially the chewables, will relieve me in two or three minutes.
        Don - Grad Student Emeritus
        T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

After eating, blood is diverted to th GI tract to absorb nutrients and hypotension is more severe for an hour or more. Heat, stress, time after BP when you are emptied out, and even stress can contribute. I have dealt with it for more than 56 years now, and I consider these episodes normal. Usually bending over or inducing an abdominal spasm get the pressure up to about 75/40, which is all I need to feel "normal."
          You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
          http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
          http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Midodrine my friend for hypotension. Yes, chug water also, this can help if you are dehydrated to bring up bp.
            "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
            ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Comment

I figured it had something to do with me eating. I kind of knew that one gets diverted to the digestive tract right after you eat. At least that make sense to me. It's just never been as bad as it was. I was able to duck my head down and I would get everything back, but I would only be able to sit back up for a few seconds. I didn't get up today. Apparently my shorts weren't pulled all the way up yesterday and I got a little tiny blood blister on the scar. It's already gone away quite a bit just kind of depressing. My caregiver is usually really good about that stuff see has been around for two flap surgery now and did my will back dressing and has been around for all my pressure mapping and all that. She's actually really wonderful but she only works weekdays so I have to be really careful with explaining to weekend caregivers. So I've got another question, I've been taking Percocet 10/325 for several years now and just over the past couple of months, before I even started getting up, they would give me really high. What's up with that? I haven't change my medication at all so I just couldn't tell you. My appetite has decreased sometimes lately also. Every time I eat something, my belly blows up and it doesn't really matter what it was that I ate but especially bad with protein shakes. I've tried different protein, switched to soy milk which I found out fights my testosterone and I already have low testosterone levels and get a supplement for that so then I switched to rice milk. I stopped drinking whole milk when that would make me feel a little icky and I don't handle it as well as I used to. Well thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.
              C-5/6, 7-9-2000
              Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

Rybread, read this thread. It's all about those who have trouble after eating (that includes me, I still feel faint after more than 6 years of sci).
                http:///forum/showthread.php?t=5190&...t=postprandial

I hope the little blister goes away completely soon!

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                  After eating, blood is diverted to th GI tract to absorb nutrients and hypotension is more severe for an hour or more. Heat, stress, time after BP when you are emptied out, and even stress can contribute. I have dealt with it for more than 56 years now, and I consider these episodes normal. Usually bending over or inducing an abdominal spasm get the pressure up to about 75/40, which is all I need to feel "normal."
                  My breathing fits this to a tee. Including not eating and/or what you eat. I too have dealt with this forever (better part of 30 yrs). Stomach spasms really help me...and/or just stop everything your doing and relax taking deep breaths.

Comment

I have fallen off the pot dirty side up.
                    it does happen fast.

My ex, who is ablebodied, had to have his scalp stapled back together when he vasa vagaled. He fell off the thunder box as well. it was chinese buffet, what usually does me in too.

Comment

Sometimes I get lightheaded see spots when I strain or push myself too hard .

I go drink a good 32 oz of cold water and have to rest or take it easy .
                      Sometimes I need a suger fix ...
                      These highs and lows in pressure drops are very scary .
                      I monitor myself constantly so I am keeping it under control .

Comment

Originally posted by jody View Post
                        I have fallen off the pot dirty side up.
                        it does happen fast.

My ex, who is ablebodied, had to have his scalp stapled back together when he vasa vagaled. He fell off the thunder box as well. it was chinese buffet, what usually does me in too.
                        Jody,

I thought that you might be the first person (on internet or elsewhere) to use the term vasa vagal as a verb. So, I did a search. Interestingly, while your use of the word on carecure came up on the top of the google search, it was not the first use of "vasa vagaled". It was used in 1-30-2007 [Source]http://forums.lymphoma.com/showpost.php?p=226640&postcount=10[/Source], as in
                        She got very constipated over the weekend and ended up passing out (vasa vagaled trying to pass)
                        Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young View Post
                          Jody,

I thought that you might be the first person (on internet or elsewhere) to use the term vasa vagal as a verb. So, I did a search. Interestingly, while your use of the word on carecure came up on the top of the google search, it was not the first use of "vasa vagaled". It was used in 1-30-2007 [Source]http://forums.lymphoma.com/showpost.php?p=226640&postcount=10[/Source], as in

Wise.
                          Hi, Wise, as a medical transcriptionist you wouldn't believe some of the words made into verbs by docs doing their dictation! And yes, I've heard 'vasa vagaled'.

Comment

Working...
                          X